1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Very badly split Laburnum trunk

Discussion in 'Trees' started by silu, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Just read this thread

I have come across split laburnums before...just 2. One here and one elsewhere.

However, neither was split on main trunk as this one is but one was not far off it. I cut both back hard. Both survived until I eventually removed mine...simply because it was a shy flowerer; certainly no majestic golden rain tree:sad:. Also because of the risk to children and pets from toxic seedheads. As far as I know the other is still fine and recovered well. From memory, I think laburnums are best pruned in summer

I would remove this tree Silu; I dont think it can support anything no matter how much branches are pruned above the split. I would replace with something else there:noidea:

However, if you decide to persevere with it and try a rescue mission, keep us informed. I would be delighted to be proved wrong

2. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Many thanks @Marley Farley . I have done a bit of research on the net and you are absolutely correct (not surprised:)) in that it seems to be in the group of trees better to be pruned while in active growth. I do know an arborist who would probably condemn it on the spot as it is so badly split but I hate to fell trees:frown:. I'll get a neighbour who is pretty nifty with a chainsaw to remove/ reduce some of the branches soon as and wait to see if the tree survives. I did say to myself that I was getting too old to continue to plant trees but think I will treat myself to a new Laburnum to replace my old one if it decides to depart. I think it is a cracking garden tree when in full flower. Ok a bit boring when not but I am lucky to have other trees which look lovely at other times of the year. people worry that it is poisonous to humans and animals:scratch:, well I have never heard of anything that has been poisoned by Laburnum. Oak on the other hand yes, but people don't seem to worry about those:dunno:.
    I know there are different varieties of Laburnum but don't know much about which would be best to buy, any ideas?

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    I hate it when trees are suffering too.. I have just had my Liriodendron tree reduced and reshaped as it was way too big and had lost a couple of limbs.. Looking forward to seeing it in leaf next year now.. You know @silu I was just having a read up on different Laburnum trees and some can be grown as bushes.. If this one doesn't survive why not give that a try instead of planting a small tree and waiting.. Have a little read here it might have a bit of info... Laburnum

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      An old variety, but for sheer flower power Vossii is the one to go for:)

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1