Vine weevil!

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Snorky85, Sep 26, 2017.

1. BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Mother Nature's Garden Apprentice
    Ratings:
    +6,133
    I think the comments below explain why I, in my opinion! would prefer to adopt the method of drowning, as other gardeners have .... to any chemicals :sad:
    Im fully aware of the tenacity of any pest ...as i said in my previous post the soil as we speak will be checked for grubs as i put any plants in pots to bed for the Winter...and then i shall dispose of, incinerate any soil that has had any sign of vine weevil so if any eggs are present im sure no matter how resilient they are they won't survive. :th scifD36: The plants that i used the plunge method on showed no sign of any distress, carried on blooming with no hiccup to their growth throughout the remaining summer, so naturally i can only speak as i find regarding them being unhindered in any way - i suppose no different to finding a plant pot had fallen inadvertently into a pond for a few days to be rescued and no harm coming to it :doh:The point of my post was to provide information in an alternative way, to those willing to accept there are other methods other than chemicals :frown: - those unable to see this are unlikely to bend in their opinion - and as my mama always said "If ya can't say anyfing nice ....don't say nuffin at all" ;)

Vine weevil, the evils of …
    "Pesticides applied every spring and autumn will kill the larvae. But I worry that the active ingredient (thiacloprid – a nicotinoid compound related to imidacloprid) also kills bees and other wildlife (you can read more on the subject here). The theory is that the thiacloprid is absorbed via the roots into the plant’s sap, pollen and nectar, and that anything that feeds from it can die. Thiacloprid is active for up to three months and imidacloprid can last for up to six months" (http://www.gardenersworld.com).

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
      Last edited: Sep 26, 2017