1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

WANNA KNOW HOW BIG YOUR SENSOR IS??

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by ARMANDII, Dec 12, 2013.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    I agree with you, Scrungee:snork:. Things seemed to be a bit less complicated in the film SLR days!!! Digital photography has opened up a "universe" of camera abilities but brought with it a new learning curve with many more complications that seem to lead to other complications.
    Having said that I like digital for the fact that it keeps my brain working and keeps my curiosity alive and I can get immediate sight of my images be they good or 'orrible!!
    But having that treasure chest of old lenses to call on makes me feel like the Kid in the Sweetie Shop plus the thrill of using a lens that might be 30 or 40 years old on a modern digital camera.:hapydancsmil:

• Like Like x 1
    • HsuH

HsuH Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,257
      I think we maybe talking about the same thing here, my 'talent' or your 'eye'. Training and practice will improve ones ability to take good picture, but if we put one with the 'talent'/'eye' (for example my cousin) together with one without (me) in front of a tree, I'm sure I could take a decent picture but it would be nowhere near as good as my cousin's. Maybe there is something about the brain converting 3D to 2D image?

I think they are people who have 'talent' / 'eye' but just not realise they do, you come along and open that window for them and showed what potential they have:blue thumb:

I agree with you completely. I occasionally miss our old manual camera.

Are you planning to run another course? I'd like to sign up.

• Like Like x 1
      • ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,836
        I can get the old focusing screens for the Pentax on E.Bay fairly cheaply but to be honest I find the standard Optical View Finder suits my needs. If I've got the camera on a tripod, which is not all that often, and I've focused in through the Optical View Finder and it's a fine detail shot I'll use live view on magnification to double check.......but that is very rare.
        As regards the "old fogey SLRmod setting where all you have to do is focus and set the speed/aperture" that sounds like what I i.e. Manual Mode!!:heehee:

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
        Ratings:
        +3,698
        Nope..I teach them, the course relies on that, maybe after that their own talent and skill comes into play but the foundation is most definitely taught, and can be taught to anyone.

Yes, I did post after the last course ended, that I would do another for GC members and I will honour that, only I'm not entirely sure when that will be at the moment.

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 3
        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,836
          Thanks Steve:snork:. I've got a feeling you won't have a shortage of members wanting to join the course. As HusH said it opens doors and windows for those wanting to understand their cameras and how to use them.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
            Ratings:
            +3,035
            "Eye" can be both taught and caught. "Catching it" is a process that develops due to internal analytical evaluation of many images - and remembering what the good ones were and working out why they looked good. The tutored "eye" is developed through a more structured approach to the analysis of images.. For most folk "eye" will involve a bit of both routes.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,836
              I think in the analysis of having the "eye" we all have given there is one bundle of elements that hasn't been mentioned greatly and without it having the "eye" either taught or caught will lack the potential genius and spark that it brings................the pleasure, joy, excitement, and anticipation that comes with holding a camera.

• Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
              Ratings:
              +31,868
              • Like Like x 1
              • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                Ratings:
                +118,372
                Did you buy it new? ;) :heehee: