Wanna take a short questionnaire?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Michael.G., Feb 23, 2012.

1. Michael.G.

Michael.G. Apprentice Gardener

Student
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hey everyone!

In order to fuel the gender and language conversation a bit, and to have your opinion on the elements I am currently investigating for my paper, there are a few points I would like to ask you about...

What do you think of women and swearing? Do you think that a woman swearing is as acceptable as a man swearing? Do you believe that there are certain words that women should avoid, but which are acceptable from men, or the reverse? Do you have the feeling that in your everyday lives, women are more stigmatized than men if they swear?

This makes a lot of questions I know! To try not to influence the answers, I will give you my results, and what I may suggest once the discussion is engaged.

Thank you.

2. Michael.G.

Student
    Ratings:
    +12
    By the way, shiney, you cannot imagine how lucky you are not having to sleep at least 6 hours a day to be productive, I would pay to be like you!!! ; )

3. Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
    Ratings:
    +31,808
    I'm getting deja vu here. Is it just me?
    Jenny namaste:scratch:

• Like Like x 1
    • Michael.G.

Student
      Ratings:
      +12
      Actually, this time I above all wanted to insist on the perception aspect of profanity and gender... We talked about the fact that women may be swearing more nowadays than before, but not about the impact this has on people's perception of women. In other words, is a woman who swears less feminine? Generally speaking, would you react as strongly when hearing a woman say the F-word, as you would when hearing a man say the same word for example?

Does it make more sense now?

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +122,365
      Perception is, of course, subjective but, in this situation, is also influenced by age and environment. As a senior citizen I was brought up in a period where it was very rare to hear a woman swear (in all social classes) so I feel that to hear a woman swear affects my perception of her - to her detriment.

Once again, the context does have an influence on my perception but not a major one.

Re sleeping: there are a number of negative points with not needing much sleep, especially living in a family environment - but that's for another topic at another time.

• Like Like x 1
      • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
        Ratings:
        +7,337
        Well I am sixtyfive in fifteen minutes time
        I too was raised in polite company and indeed never swore, or really came across it
        Infact swearing changed my life,
        How I will never know, but it did
        How, well I left school at 15, I was guaranteed an appretiship as an Electrician, but I had to be seen to do the formalities
        So I turned up at 09.00 at the company, and several workers sat drinking tea
        said What the F are you here for, I turned around and ran home, never did get the apprentiship
        I left school on the Friday and started work on the Monday as a supposed trainee buyer in a Department store, £3 a week
        I spent one year learning hardware Ironmongery, then one year Shoes, and eight months mens made to measure suits
        By this time I was on £4-7s-6p a week, and I was offered a job in John Browns ship building yard as a trainee fitter and turner £12-10s a week, no contest a mans job and big money, I had also joined the Royal Naval Reserve
        After six months and competent I was then given Night shift four nights a week no weekend work and current rate £19 a week, Wow I had a made to measure suit from Burtons every six weeks paid for cash,and was in a band 1964 and all that
        In the ship yards I learned to swear, and strong
        Swearing was every second word, but only at work, Never at home, out at night or in Ladies company
        Then I joined the Royal Navy, again swearing every second word, and ashore with my oppo's unless a Lady was present, then not one sailor swore, and this was through my whole 22 Years service
        Back in Civvy Street, very little swearing in the work place, as a Network Engineer, none at home or socially
        Later as needs must I had to take work, in an office
        An office with 600 Ladies as an office worker, not IT About 200 Guys
        The Guys did not swear, but OMG the ladies, not only the swearing of the highest order words, but the details given of the previous night out Shocked me totally,(Only at this time we had moved on 40 years)
        Even guys with other guys did not discuss what in great detail the latest score did or did not
        These ladies prim and proper Civil Serpents (only the under 35's though) OMG

I off course knew as a 22 year Submariner of all sexual matters, but never met or knew anyone who described them in great detail until this, not a flinch or a blush, just speaking as normally they would AND telling ME! (It was not a wind up it was a daily occurance)

I can not even hint at what they said other than take what you will from above, but 22 years a Sailor and SHOCKED
        (I only wish I had known when I was eighteen and fit what I know NOW) :-)

Jack McHammocklashing

• Like Like x 1
        • Jenny namaste

Ratings:
          +31,808
          Your tale makes fine reading. As a member of tthe feamale gender, I feel uncomfortable and sad about it. I too was a Civil Servant from 1972 to 1993 but did not hear colleagues of either sex swearing. I was in Accounts Division in the Property Services Agency and unlike The Child Support Agency who mopped us all up when PSA was dissoled, we played the rules by the book mainly. Not so CSA! It was quite a shocking transition and like you, that was when I saw more of the "real" working environment with more sassy women than I had ever encountered before. Was it location (down south) or Government department I wonder?

• Like Like x 1
          • Michael.G.

Student
            Ratings:
            +12
            I agree with you two in the sense that I too have the feeling that women from my generation (18-25) are a lot more comfortable with swearing, and also with sexuality than men.

That is exactly what happens here in France too with people of roughly my age. Guys can talk about sexuality, but this will always be general aspects of it, whereas women talk about details I too could be embarrassed to tell...

The point is that women love to talk about it, and could reject and call prude a woman who would not feel comfortable talking this way and sharing such details. I really have the feeling that this kind of talk is becoming a bonding factor among women, as it could have been the case with men (even if not to such an extent...) a few generations ago.

Maybe this is a way for nowadays, more "emancipated" women, to claim "hey look, our everyday talk is more crude than men's, the way we speak is not restrained anymore, we now have the upper hand...". Another point worth investigating...

• shiney

Ratings:
            +122,365
            I worked with women all my working life, never, swore in their presence and they rarely swore in mine. Most of them were young (nearly all, straight from school) and many were from a swearing environment. It was a very working class environment in a disadvantaged area and the majority came from homes that had only one parent - or none (I always tried to employ disadvantaged people and, out of well over a hundred of them only one let me down). They quickly learnt how to communicate effectively without swearing but this never stopped them from talking frankly about their sex lives :heehee: .

The interesting thing is that, after they had been with me some years, they told me that they didn't like to hear their friends swearing!

Fortunately, most of them are now in good relationships, have their own families, and some even have their own businesses. I was out having lunch with a group of them the other day and the discussion turned to swearing (I brought the subject up :heehee:) and most of them thought that not swearing made a major contribution to their outlook on life. I think it was that they gradually had a change in peer group - but I may be totally wrong. :scratch:

• Like Like x 2
            • Jenny namaste

Ratings:
              +31,808
              :hpybtd:

• Michael.G.

Student
              Ratings:
              +12
              Oops, I wanted to wish you a happy birthday earlier, but forgot it while thinking and writing about the discussion so... HAPPY BIRTHDAY Jack!!! ^^

• Folly Mon

Folly Mon GC Official Counselor

starting new busniss in new year
              Ratings:
              +2,409
              i swear a lot some people dont mind some people hate it i know worse words then F Thow!!!!!

Starvation WAR Murder Rape Pervert Pedo File

So For Me Im Only Speaking For My Self Here

i FIND IT IMPOSSABULL TO TAKE OFFENCE AT SWEAR WORDS

I DO NOT DO IT IN FRONT OF CHILDREN AND DONT DO IT ON THIS FORUM

After Doing Stand up in pubs n clubs for years it just become the norm PART OF THE ACT Iv Had Women & Men in Stitches

Iv also had Men & Women leave the Club or Pub

if there was 2/300 in the room i allways found it made another 2/4 seats empty for the standing 1s :lunapic 130165696578242 5: and as long as i got my Fee

i went home every night HAPPY :rofllol:

i Miss it But the Smoking Ban killed the trade :mad:

• Folly Mon

Folly Mon GC Official Counselor

starting new busniss in new year
              Ratings:
              +2,409
              I hope this is now clearer... Is it?

Thank you.[/quote]

I Married a Well Heald Posh Un :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

They Love A Roughf Un :dbgrtmb:

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
              Ratings:
              +7,337
              Though what years are you refering to Shiney
              I am talking 2012
              Sex it is not just I met a guy last night and we hit it off I stayed the night with him

It was down to the most intimate detail, through out the whole event, That as a 22 year submariner I could not believe I was hearing, even among guys on the messdeck it was not like this, it was not just overheard it was talking directly to me a male, NOT a one off wind up, it was regular from not one but many

Jack McH

• shiney

Ratings:
              +122,365
              Jack, It was for the 40 years up to 2001 when I retired :dbgrtmb:. Quite a bit of it was graphic - how do you think I learnt things :heehee:! Even some of the customers used to talk to me, and each other, in quite a bit of detail. :hate-shocked:

• Like Like x 1