Warning about Paypal

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by tweaky, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "With the verified by visa thingy. You get a pop up window also showing a phrase that you inputted when using the facility...if that is correct you also have to enter a password...so its reasonably secure and does cover purchasing using a debit card"

Although it would only take Clueless another 5 minutes to knock up a fake one of those ... and now the rogue site has got 3 characters from your "secret word".

I suppose you could deliberately make a mistake in your secret word letters, and then if rejected correct it. If it is not rejected RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I guess the simple rule of thumb should be: If it is a site you've used a few times before without any bother, then fine. If not, then proceed with caution and see if there are any reviews about it on t'internet first. Oh, regardless of what you do on the internet, actually read your bank and credit statements each month:)

3. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Exactly.

Don't shop on the web as you could get ripped off/don't go outside as you could get run over?? etc,etc,etc.

We all have to make judgments and protect ourselves in life...computing is no different.

Its not something to be afraid of, but like anything else you need to be aware.:thumb: