Wasps nest

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Muddy14, Jul 12, 2008.

1. wonder hedge

wonder hedge Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    pouring petrol down the holes and then setting light to it.
    That will be the best and cheapest

2. naomib83

naomib83 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Blimey!

I've had a wasp nest in the actual wall of my house for a couple of years now, the wasps come every year for about 2 months and then plug the enterance and leave for the rest of the year. they have never bothered us so we have never felt the need to get rid of them... now begining just what is lurking in the wall of my house! :confused:

3. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Why do people get rid of wasps nest unnecessarily I wonder. I can understand it if they are a threat, but otherwise live and let live I say.:thumb:

4. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    "I've had a wasp nest in the actual wall of my house for a couple of years now, the wasps come every year for about 2 months and then plug the enterance and leave for the rest of the year. they have never bothered us so we have never felt the need to get rid of them... now begining just what is lurking in the wall of my house!"

What you describe would be masonry bees and NOT wasps.

5. naomib83

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh okay, would you advise getting rid of them or just leaving them be?

I'm not bothered by them but would rather get rid if they are going to be causing damage to the property.

6. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Well if they are masonry bees, perhaps you could get them to build you an extension.;):D

7. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Just discovered we've a nest in one of our dalek type worm bins. I don't want to use chemicals (or petrol) that might harm the little wriggly workers so I think I'll just seal round the lid with gaffer tape and leave it for a couple of months.

8. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Naomib,

No, you cant really treat them anyway.

The long term solution is to reepoint the brickwork- they only burrow into friable moartar

9. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I had to do that at my last house, as the living room was inundated with ants.....I carefully moved the plants next to the house and discovered loads of little holes through the mortar.

I re-pointed the damaged area and hey presto, no more ants after I had killed the ones off that were already through. Took a few months to kill em, but was well worth it.:thumb:

Mind you, didn't stop the frogs coming in through the cat flap., heh,heh.

10. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    In my old place we used to get wasp nests in the shrubs and in corners of the buildings all the time. Calling pest control every time was too expensive and we were not fond of spraying chemicals around because the place was crawling with little kids (36 family, most of them busily breeding), so what me and my bravest neighbours started doing was going out after dark, dousing the nest with ice cold water with a large garden spray, pry it off its support with a long handled pruning tool, and gingerly drop into a box, shut it and off, in the rubbish.
    Before the routine was really fine tuned there were some comical accidents, like my two assistants getting scared of an angry wasp and trying to run off in different directions both of them holding on to the opposide ends of the spray (luckily the pipe was robust).
    I got a few stings in my nest removing career, but I am not allergic, nor especially scared of the little creatures. Unless you are allergic a wasp sting is not going to kill you ;)

11. naomib83

Ratings:
    +0
    Thankyou Pro gard. As the saying goes you learn something new everyday. At least i know who, or should i say what, else is living in my house with me :) appears to be red masonary bee's as they do plug the hole with mud.

I think i am just going to leave them be, well for the next couple of years then maybe address them then.

I've been reading about nesting tubes, if i do decide to repair the mortar and remove the nest if i put one of these in it's place do you think they will take to it or leave the site all together? Like i said they aren't bothering me so i don't see why i should get rid of them altogether...

12. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Naomi,

They would probably use it.

13. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I am allergic to wasp stings....get a very, very bad reaction...I once got bit on the bum in bed....but that's another story:D

14. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    "Unless you are allergic a wasp sting is not going to kill you"

Ivory, Until youve been stung you dont know how you will react therfore caution is needed.

Further you can become sensetised to the stings. I probably get stung two or three times a year, my reaction to wasp stings gets worse each time I now carry an epi pen and strong anti histameine tablets.

Wasps arent something to take lightly.

15. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Wouldn't go as far as an epi-pen yet in my case....but I do have to carry fast acting strong antihistamines with me, every where I go.

It's a pain, but I have a packet in my wallet, a packet in the car, a packet in the first aid box. I am also never far away from my Jungle Formula cream, which I have to put on before going outside in the insect season.