Wasps nest

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Muddy14, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Must make a note....:pDo not bite Teaky on the bum...!!!!:eek: as if!

2. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Especially when we are in bed together.:rolleyes:

3. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I got eleven stings in one go, once, while pruning a bush in the garden, for a second I thought, hell, what a nettle, I jerked back and the nettle followed me, lol. I always had a relation of love hate with the bee family. Even as a child I got stung more times than I can count. May be I got immunized, lol. I remove wasps if they are in places where we risk too many encounters, else I let them be. And I really get along well with bees and bumblebees. While I agree that allergic people are in serious danger I still think that most people reactions to these creatures are simply hysterical. Shouting and flailing around are the best way to get stung. If you notice one of the little b.....s around stay cool and let it sniff you, it will just move on.

4. The Nut

The Nut Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hope your tetanus jabs r up to date Pal

5. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
  6. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Nick, surely that should read, "must make note not to offer to suck poisin out, next time Tweaky stung in bum "?:D:eek::o:o

7. JingleJane

JingleJane Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0

Same problem here, Naomi. When I had cavity insulation put in the walls, one of the exterior holes facing my back garden wasn't filled and I noticed last Summer that bees/wasps were going to and from from that hole. My immediate thought was to simply plug the hole, but then a relative pointed out that the wasps could simply come out en masse somewhere in the house. Like you I wonder what's lurking in the walls....:eek:

8. Lyn

Lyn Gardener

Industrial carpet machinist
    Ratings:
    +77
    We have had a few wasps nests over the years , one under the lounge floor:eek:
    They came in through the air vent.
    I always use the foam nest killer.
    Works everytime and it's only about £5 a tin.
    You can get it from most places Asda Tesco B&Q etc.
    I keep a tin handy and stop them building before it all gets to much.
    If they are away from the house and shed I leave them but they can be very agressive and the stings hurt, so they have to go.

When we got the floor up in the lounge, after i had killrd them with the foam, there were hundreds of them.
    The nest was huge.Very delicate and beautiful
    They started buiding it while we were on holiday.
    When we got home the house was full of wasps, dead and alive.
    It was a nightmare.
    I sprayed the outside vent a couple of times with the foam and that was that all dead.
    Best time to spray is early morning or at night when they are all in the nest.

9. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8

all this talk of wasps is making me feel ill.:p I think I've developed a phobia about them too !!! A good friend of ours turns pale the minute he senses a wasp anywhere near him. He makes me look normal when it comes to phobias.

I have been stung many times by wasps or something similar and managed ok when I lived in Kenya but after having been stung a couple of times in the UK, I have developed a pretty stroing reaction to them. They make me very ill indeed.

I do keep anti-histamines around but never did think I should get an epi-pen.
    I'm tempted to have a chat with my DOc. and find out what and how I can aquire one of these.

I don't mind bees and bumblebees. you can tell that they have a different temperment and don't sound angry (am I making sense!!!!) where as wasps seem to sound angry for no reason at all.

I keep them away (at least from the house) by lighting joss-sticks. they don't like smoke and it is much easier and better then spraying anything that hurst the environment.
    Before now, I have also taken a lit joss stick to the green house so I can work in there without the wasps bothering me.:)

10. plantlife

plantlife Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I got stung by one when I was very young and brushed past a bush full of them, it got me right in the side and kind of dragged a bit too, hurt a lot.

11. stony

stony Gardener

having a good time
    Ratings:
    +29
    I can understand not wanting wasp nests in your home or in or close to where you need to disturb them, when working, but otherwise I would think they should be left alone. They do a lot of good, in that they eat lots of pest insects and they also help to pollinate crops.

In another post further back, Bees were mentioned. Am I not correct in thinking that Bumble Bees have no sting?

12. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I have no idea if they havea sting or not,but they are so wonderfully tame. You can caress them on the back while they are inside especially yummy flowers, and they don't mind at all.

13. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    :):)Always wanted to do that but I'd not dare just in case they sting. I don't want to find out my reaction to bumble-bee stings

14. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    Bumble bees do indeed have a sting but they are so placid that they rarely use it on people in fact I've only ever been stung once and that was because i sat on it...:rolleyes: and bumble bee's aren't usually the pest that wasps are as they tend to build small colonies of say 40 or less rather than large nests:thumb:

15. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    I just love bumble bees. Once I was sat in the garden reading a book when this bumble bee started hovering in front of my face as if it was looking at me,it must have stayed there for a couple of minutes. So I put my hand out and it landed on it. It stayed there for quite a while having a good old wash. It was fascinating. 02