Wasps nest

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Muddy14, Jul 12, 2008.

1. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for that 02, nice yea.

I don't honestly know much about bees apart from I understand if they sting you, they die themselves as apart from wasps who can sting and sting again.

I used to grow a lot of nasturtiums. For salads and flavouring in stew type dishes, but mainly for the seeds, which I dried and used instead of buying black pepper.

Yea I know they attract loads of butterflies and subsequently caterpillars, but they cope as they are so profuse...I kept a special place in my veg plot for them. I can well remember picking the seeds whilst bees were in them getting pollen from the flowers. They never stung me...it was if they knew what I was doing and wasn't interfering with their jobs.

2. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    Actually tweaky only female honeybees die when they sting you most other bee species can just carry on stinging...:D

3. gort

gort Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Years ago we killed them with a teaspoon of cyanide attached to a long cane, knocked em all dead in 5 seconds:thumb:

the trick was not to get any on your fingers if you where smoking a cigarette at the time!

4. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    A whole teaspoon???:eek: blimey you must of had huge bees!:D

5. gort

gort Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    suppose you could have called it overkill, but we had 25kg of the stuff, so there was enough to go around.