Wasps nests - the wonder cure

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ClaraLou, Aug 7, 2010.

1. andrewh

andrewh Gardener

Ratings:
    +45
    Yep, they are good for the garden. I remember being mesmerised by a fight between a wasp and a butterfly in my garden last summer. Needless to say, the wasp won!

Even so, I hate hate the things, and will resort to any means I can think of to get rid of them. Any wasp straying into my garden gets a squirt of Pyrethrin bug killer on it. It's slow acting, so it will fly off and die elsewhere. Evil genius.

Oh, and those "Waspinator" fake nests that were all the rage last year? They don't work. Save your pennies.

2. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    Clearly the name was more fun that the actual object. 'The Waspinator' sounds like a robot armed with an insecticidal spray which patrols your garden shouting 'hasta la vista, waspie'. Come to think of it, I've got one. It's called a husband.

3. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    A few years ago we had a wasps' nest behind the eaves above the kitchen window. I got the local authority's "Pest" department, or whatever it's called, to come down to kill off the wasps in there.
    All he did was spray ant powder up there. That did the job. Two minute's work. They charged me £30. Didn't use any protective gear other than gloves and a little mask.
    I'll know better next time and do it myself.

4. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    The little boogers have already started to eat the ripening plums.
    Anyone know what I can do to stop them?
    I'd like to harvest some plums from my garden this year. :-(

on a happier note, after inspection I find that I have 5 olives on my olive tree, so I can proudly say that I have a 'harvest' :lollol:

5. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    Great news about the olives, Shobhna. I suppose you'll be going into the oil producing business now. :)