Wasps

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Granny Smith, Jun 27, 2011.

1. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Wasps are a gardeners friend, they eat prodigeous amounts of aphids. And they only get angry when we dozy humans start swatting at them. Leave THEM alone and they will leave YOU alone.:cool:

2. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Charming little things aren;t they?...Got stung today and had to be taken to a local Doctor for a quick jab then sent home to rest ....elbow like Tyson's thigh and on fire !:gaagh:

3. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Last year I had a wasp's nest in a cardboard box I'd dumped outside my back door. It had something in it I was always going to assemble and put to use but never got "a round toit"!! But the kitchen was being regularly visited and I am just really paranoid about wasps so I got the pest man in.

Now just a couple of days ago I was going to dismantle my wooden compost bin and realised there was a nest in there too. So back came the man with his suit and sprays and it was gone again. Wasn't till he was leaving with the remains of the nest in a black plastic bag that he told me they mostly eat aphids!

:gaagh: :gaagh: WHY DID HE TELL ME THAT BEFORE?????

Mind you, there's still the small fact that wasps make scare me to death!

4. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    I've got a wasps nest in my flat roof. Even though I've had quite a few in the house, they only want to get outside and they have never once been aggressive to me, even when I've been on the roof near the entrance to their nest.

I've been picking them up off the windowsills and putting them outside, never once been stung even though I must have moved at least 40 of them, sometimes just using my finger for them to climb onto.

Come November when they've died off, I'll just block the hole up and hopefully that will sort the problem.

• Like Like x 2