1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Weak/Messy Cordyline Australis - HELP!

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by newgardner, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello newgardener :sign0016: to GC and I quite like your Cordyline...lovely looking plants.

I have 3 green and one red...all doing new shooting and I have to agree with Pete it's not been established much to out door weather :)

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,976
    When you find one, let me know, I think we are all searching for that:biggrin::biggrin:

Most trees /shrubs are seasonal, and all will have their time of the year when they look good.
    How about Choisya "sundance", nice flowers and yellow foliage when not in flower, also pretty tough, so might not mind if you miss the odd watering in summer.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Going back to my nephew's remit, newgardener, he wanted a plant to flower all year, have nice scent and grow to a size and then stop. Oh, easy to look after too :snorky:

Decide what you want.....evergreen, architectural, scented, something special (your "wow" factor), something for the summer months foliage wise, annuals you can plant for the summer, remove in autumn and replant with winter flowers.

Depends too on the size of your container:)

• Like Like x 1
      • newgardner

newgardner Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +9
        Gail_68 - Thanks for the warm welcome. You can forget about the cordyline as I've returned it back to the store it was purchased from, lol! I'll just have to keep looking for a better one.

Pete - The sundance....Is that similar to the Forest Flame plant??? If so, I already have the Flame.

Verdun - Yes, you're nephew certainly reminds me of what I'm like, LOL!
        Acer or the Forest Flame? The container is 1m by 1m. My WOW factor would be a very vibrant/colourful plant during the spring/summer months. Not bothered about what they look like during autumn/winter.

• Like Like x 1
        • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Well I hope you find one you like mate, at the moment mine like doing new shoots from either the ground or the base of the trunk :heehee:

If you need to reply to a person direct...you need to put @ first and then start typing the members name and a list will come down..click on the correct name and it turns it blue :thumbsup:

• KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,890
          Hi @newgardner ,

Welcome to Gardeners Corner :)

If you want something that has a wonderful scent then how about a dwarf Lilac. I can't remember the name now but if you look up " Canadian Lilac " you should find it .
          They flower late April through May and then again in September into October.

20180520_182930.jpg

This is ours. We've had it for 3 years and it's around two and a half feet high. The ultimate height is around four feet.

• Like Like x 2
          • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Beautiful plant KFF :love30:

• Like Like x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +5,890
              PS......

We have in containers......

Dwarf Lilac, Standard Yew, 3 Salix ( Willows ), Acer, Pieris, Hardy Fuchsias, Dwarf Plum, Dwarf Cherry and Italian Cypress. The Italian Cypress are stunning columns which are gradually getting cheaper to buy now and really make a statement.

• Like Like x 1
              • KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +5,890
                • Like Like x 1
                • Verdun

Ratings:
                  +17,487
                  Newgardener, Pieris Forest Flame is a lovely plant....there are different varieties: I have one called Flaming Silver which has green and white leaves and superb red foliage in spring with white flowers. Evergreen so all year round and does have your craved for "wow" factor.
                  Needs similar soil and conditions to that needed by acers.....dappled shade and ericaceous soil and then is superb.

Lovely lilac KFF. A must have for me now :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                    +0
                    Both my Pieris are going red again just adore that fire red :wub2:

• Like Like x 1
                    • newgardner

newgardner Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
                      +9
                      @Gail_68 - Thanks for the excellent tip.

@KFF @Verdun - The recommendations you've given are really gorgeous. I've already got the following: Acer Purpureum, Pieris Forest Flame (Is this the same as your Pieris???), Fuchsias Bush.

But if I had to choose, it would be a strict contest between the Acer Purpureum & Pieris Forest Flame

Here is a photo of the Acer Purpureum, which I took in the morning. As you can see, it need support to keep it straight:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +5,890
                        Hi @newgardner mine are " Forest Flame " and a dwarf variegated one called " Little Heath " .

• Like Like x 1
                        • Verdun

Ratings:
                          +17,487
                          A straight contest for me too newgardener.....pieris or acer. Both are excellent.
                          As KFF said, Pieris are turning red again here too. It has been a wonderful growing year so far.
                          Looking at your picture though, I would be inclined to repot your acer in a more "solid" heftier container using john innes ericaceous compost. It looks attractive I think and has the potential to look increasingly "wow" inspiring so, on balance, I would stick with it.:) If you decide to repot, do so in the autumn.
                          (Doghouse Riley on the forum seems to grow the best acers....hopefully he will post some pictures to inspire you)

• Like Like x 1
                          • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                            +0
                            Hi newgardner your Acer is nice but I do agree with @Verdun hopefully @Doghouse Riley will add some :wub2: pic's of his Acers :)