Welcome !

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Webmaster, Jan 5, 2005.

1. fothers

fothers Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, my name is Lisa and we have just moved into a new house last november with a south facing rear garden so I need lots of ideas as what to do with it- I'm sure I'll get some here!

At present at the bottom of the garden is an apple and a plum tree so I'm not sure how much shade they will cause- and up nearer the house is a patio area. The grass inbetween is a bit weedy and patchy possibly due to shade from the trees.

2. trevone

trevone Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    So pleased to find this site. A couple of years ago I used to use Ask Jeeves Ask Other People and I still miss it! Hopefully sites like this will help to fill the gap. So, many thanks.

I wonder if you know what plants can be grown in a bottle garden. i realise that it will only be plants which like a fair amount of humidity, but apart from peace lilies, ivy and the aluminium plant are there others?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Best wishes,

Trevone

3. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,955
    Thanks for your support in registering, with member numbers growing rapidly, this should take off better than I expected, a friend of mine has a bulletin board, and in 5 years has 500 members, this has been going for just over 1 month, and is already at 94 members, and has already taken lots of hits (hopefully people have added it to their 'favourites list').

Visitors please register, it's free, and as member numbers grow, the site becomes more and more useful to other like-minded gardeners out there

Trevone, other plants for your terrarium could also include Maranta's, , Dracaena Sanderiana, Pelliona, Begonia rex (small leaved varieties) or Selaginella.

Lisa, as the weather gets a bit better, put some grass seed down in the patchy areas, and keep well watered during the summer months, our lawn dries out terribly during the summer (also south facing), and I regularly, aerate the lawn, feed and water it, and it soon comes back.

Nathan.

4. streakz

streakz Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    ta mate this website is a very good source of information i have been into gardening for a pass couple of years so i hav decided to base mi business studies coursework on mobile gardening
    thanks again streakz

5. cazmandoo

cazmandoo Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi webmaster 1st time visit for me , i only have a tiny garden but i love it all the same . i hope i can pick your brain occasionaly...cazmandoo ....

6. Webmaster

Ratings:
    +2,955
    Carol,

I do not claim to know everything (quite the opposite actually ;) ), but thought it was time for an easy to use gardening/growing discussion area available on the internet for UK users (most sites out there are aimed for the US). Hopefully everyone can share tips from the comfort of home/work .

Maybe you can share a bit of info. on what you do ;) mmmmmmm .

Nathan.

7. 'notaclue'

'notaclue' Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Nathan. A really good idea for a site. This is the first time I have ever joined a chat thing. I have lived in my home for over ten years my garden has been a racing track, a camp site, a swimming pool 15ft across, a skate park and many other things which have been great however now i want to make it a 'haven' for me and my hubby. I have worked so hard at my job i have never had time for a hobby. i would like to try and make gardening just that. I have a big patio area, 80 ft. of grass and a pond I have'nt a clue what to do with it all. I would be grateful if you give me some ideas of where to start. I recognise three flowers roses, lillies and daisies. Is there any hope?! best wishes Teresa

8. cazmandoo

cazmandoo Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    ANY ONE WOULD THINK THAT YOU LIKED ICE CREAMMMMMM
    ITS ALL GOOD STUFF WITH NO ADDITIVES , MADE WITH REAL MILK AND FRESH CREAM , FRUITS ,REAL ALCHOHOL,IN THE FLAVOURS LIKE RUM & RAISIN OR COCONUT AND MALIBU..ECT..YUM YUM

9. Webmaster

Ratings:
    +2,955
    We all have our perks eh Carol ;) !!

Teresa, thanks for registering and welcome to the site. Hopefully the community will be as helpful as you wish it to be. Don't forget to tell friends and relatives [​IMG] .

Nathan.

10. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all

Just joined

Currently into Cordyline/Yucca/Phormium strappy leaf type shrubby bush trees [​IMG]

Picked SteveW to distinguish me from the other Steve

Thinking of building a kind of harbour for a climber that would double as a hide for the grotty wheelie bins...any ideas?

Steve

11. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,982
    Hi Steve W
    Nice to see somone into something a bit exotic. How do they do up there in Derbyshire ?
    How many wheelie bins have you got?

12. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Pete

Where I am the Cordylines and Yuccas will survive outside if protected for the first few years and protected also if there is a severe frost

We have 2 bins black for rubbish and brown for rottable stuff hedge clippins grass cuttings etc that the council use to make compost from

13. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,982
    Steve W
    Have you seen that coconut/coir type screening available at garden centres? Its just an idea but placed in front of say trellis it gives you an instant screen that looks fairly natural. Then in early summer plant some half hardy fast growing climbers for quick effect. Mixed in with the half hardies you could plant one or two permanent climbers to be left for future years.

14. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Thats an option Pete, I have also looked up plans on the net for a simple arbor with trellis on the two closed sides, I can get most of the wood from work so I might have a crack at that

15. letitia

letitia Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi this is my first visit, hope you can help with my question.
    Is there anything that can get rid of bindweed
    [creeping ivy] It comes from underneath my fence from next door. their garden grows wild.Iam constantly pulling it up to no effect.
    Letitia.