Welcome !

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Webmaster, Jan 5, 2005.

1. skrumpy

skrumpy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello All, Came accross this site while "googling" for some gardening information. Although now living full time in Normandy (ex Somerset), we have a similar climate to the UK and the plants etc are similar so I aim to be a regular viewer, and if I can, contrubuter to the forum. I have not found a similar site in either French or English so look forward to some good gardening talk!

2. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Letitia

Bindweed is a problem, I think you need a weedkiller based on Glyphosate....tumbleweed or similar, that you spray on the leaves and then it systematically goes down to the roots

Or pull it up and chuck it back over the fence [​IMG]

3. letitia

letitia Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Stevew, i'v tried chucking it back over the fence, no joy there so i'll give your weedkiller a go, here's hopin.....
    Letitia.

4. bezaspatch

bezaspatch Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nathan,
    I too found you whist lokking for info on the web.
    I am not a complete beginer at gardening but i am not an expert either. All my growing is done in containers, i have fibro-myalgia & am no longer up to the digging etc involved in coventional gardening.
    BEZ

5. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    I look forward to lots of garden chats.

Mrs cloudy

6. turl

turl Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG] Hi Nathan and all
    i am a neewbie and would like to interduce myself.Im a young gardener ha if you call 27 young :eek: i have been iterested in gardening since i can remember it all goes back to nan and gramps ;) i have been working in a garden centre for over 7yrs now and studyed @ college for 2yrs.
    And im hoping to exchange advice with you lot [​IMG]
    and make new friends
    so Hello from Me a cannot wait to begin......

7. Tim and Sophie

Tim and Sophie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Well Nathan, if this site helps Sophie and me plant something and not kill it within a couple of weeks, it'll be worth all the effort!!

Tim

8. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,955
    Thanks for all your support guys and gals ... Keep registering, it can only get better, the more members the more information is shared.

Nathan

9. medwayman

medwayman Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks nathan.i,m okay with the gardening side.its the p c that gives me problems

10. revin helen

revin helen Gardener

Ratings:
    +36
    Hi thanks for starting this website it's great to be able to hear and help with other peoples promlems and pick up tips with like minded people instead of boring non gardeners to death.

11. suey

suey Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hello,
    found your site whilst 'googling' too!
    i dont have a lot of spare time for my garden, and at the moment its a real dump! We are starting from scratch with it really....so will be asking lots of questions in the coming months!
    great site!

s :D

12. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Hi Nathan

Have just joined, and would like to say well done. I am sure this forum will thrive.

If I may make a suggestion. I wonder if people would like a small area where they could practise posting with pictures, with web links or just to do a simple post. It could offer those of us who are not so accomplished, an opportunity to practice in a quiet corner. It could be a seperate forum called, say, Test Area, where errors are allowed and encouraged, knowing that more advanced members will not be looking there.
    This area might also be an appropriate place for the instructions on posting pictures and links.

It might also be worth mentioning IrfanView (www.irfanview.com) or any other appropriate software. IrfanView is free and is an excellent viewer and manipulator of pictures. I use it to view my own pictures on the computer. It is only small and easy to download.

Today I found a small IrfanView tutorial at :-http://www.deadzoom.com/member/nktower/tutorials/IrfanView_Tutorial_Old.htm

With IrfanView you can resize and recompress a .jpg file down from 1,400k to 60k with very little loss of quality, when viewed on the screen. Smaller files are more forum friendly for people on dial-up.

PeterS

[ March 20, 2005, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: PeterS ]

13. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nathan and fellow gardeners

Just joined today. Hope to be of some use, have been gardening for (too many to mention)years. Am in the 2nd year of a Horticulture/Garden Design Degree with a view to working full time as a designer. Have been plant obsessed forever, and love the fact that you never stop learning when you're involved with gardening.

14. maz

maz Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nathan,
    I am new to this type of thing. Your site looks good, hope it goes well for you and thank you for the welcome.
    Maz

15. Hannah

Hannah Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Good ol' Google, eh?! What an excellent site, just what I was looking for. We have just bought our first home and I will appreciate all the advice you can give.