Welcome !

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Webmaster, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,955
    Many thanks for all your support in registering.

As said before, the more people that register, the more use it is to us all.

Thanks again.

Nathan.

2. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Ah bliss!!! A place to share and learn! Great stuff! My sister found you and passed it on. Now we're both new members.

Having been a digs and flat dweller for YEARS AND YEARS, I have finally got myself a place with a medium sized garden and have delighted in the planning and experimenting. It's now coming to fruition and I'm realising that books and mags don't tell you near enough detail. It's a real pleasure to 'meet' you all.

3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi there - it is great isn't it to have fellow UK gardeners at your finger tips [​IMG] - enjoy your new garden

4. Elaine67

Elaine67 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

As someone who's current gardening skills are limited to trying to stop my children and their dog turning our lawned rear garden into a re-enactment of the Somme (there's curently 2, 2ft deep trenches pending filling) I feel it's time I learned how to manage my mud-patch and who knows, even turn it into something remotely appealing..

The final push has come via our neighbour building a huge garage. We now live in the shadow of a 14'+ breeze-block wall (it makes a farce of the 6' fencing) and I'm desparate to come up with some way of hiding it. High on the list is Leylundi trees (sorry, don't know how to spell it) also good ol' Privit (though I'm worried about the children - is it toxic?) Any suggestions for a quick growing fix would be greatfully recieved!

This looks like a great forum and best of all it's here in the UK (a very rare beast)!

Hello to All
    Elaine

5. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Elaine
    Hope you enjoy the journey you are just beginning. Shame about the garage! You could try some Climbers to cover it - evergreens = Ivy, passionflower (flowers in summer), pyracantha (prickly, flowers summer, berries autumn/winter), Jasminium beesianum (scented flowers summer), Trachelospermum jasminoides (flowers summer). Clematis armandii (scented flowers spring - quite fast growing, Lonicera halliana (evergreen honeysuckle) Or deciduous ones such as climbing hydrangea, clematis montana, ornamental grape vine, or golden hop (which is herbaceous i.e. it dies to the ground in winter but comes back in spring). Or try training a wall shrub (or several) against it Garrya elliptica is evergreen, or Ceanothus, Jasminium nudiflorum (flowers in winter, deciduous).
    If you go the leylandii route bear in mind that legislation was passed today that limits people to growing it to a height of 6 feet 6 inches. Privet is poisonous (if eaten) , but I have metres & metres & metres of it & children too with no probs - best to teach them what they can & can't put in their mouths - Lots of common plants are poisonous but don't be put off growing them, the only thing I have avoided until now (kids now not so apt to go crawling through/falling in borders) is Euphorbia whose sap is an irritant especially on skin that is then exposed to sun (nasty blisters!)

Have fun!

6. gofoit2

gofoit2 Gardener

Gone past the age of working so just enjoying myse
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Nathan, what a great site, only just getting the gardening bug, the 1st house I been in with a garden, so just by reading the posts so far (took me 3 days...lol) I have learnt a lot.
    Keep up the good work,

Thanks

Trevor

7. codalmighty

codalmighty Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi nathan im new to all this technology thing , and to be honest new to gardening , your site will be of great help to me and people like me , thank you and very good luck for the future , you wont need it though thanks again john

8. susie123

susie123 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Nathan, I found this site the other day and have had good advice already, I'm a novice to the computer , and have'nt a clue about gardening but really enjoy watching the plants etc growing, in the past I have put seeds/plants in and hoped for the best and usually it turns out ok, having said that I pull out the plants and find I'm growing weeds never mind I dont like formal gardens. Well now I have a lot of time to spend in the garden I am very eager to learn, and look forward to reading this site thank you.

9. Mini

Mini Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Great site Nathan, and GREAT members.

Whiling away lots of hours reading the posts.

Would have given up on my seeds if I hadn't found this forum - glad I did.

Hope to turn my fingers, hands and arms green!

Mini

10. sallyann

sallyann Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Nathan & fellow gardening buddy's,

thank's nathan for a brilliant site,

can't wait to come home from work,
    glass of wine, potter in garden,
    finish evening with some good friends chatting
    about my favorite hobby.
    once again nathan thanks,sallyann south wales england.

11. cazway

cazway Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nathan
    Its great to find a site where you can ask for help and learn from other people it will be really helpful.

12. flouncey

flouncey Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone,

I can't believe I haven't found this forum before, I'm very pleased I have now [​IMG]

Just a little about me, I live in East Anglia, in Cambridgeshire, I'm a lady in my 30's, I live with my partner.
    We have 2 cats called Dudley and Suki :D
    We have a smallish garden which we try and keep well tended, but we also leave 'wild' looking bits to attract wildlife and help the environment.
    I am interested in wildlife gardening so I would be happy to offer advice where possible if anyone would like to know more. [​IMG]

I think that's it for now, I look forward to posting once I've found my way around.

13. Dan .

Dan . Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I stumbled across your site when looking for help identifying a weed that seems forever present in my garden no matter what I do. I've had very helpful and encouraging replies so thanks to your site I can crack on and dig out!

14. steve b

steve b Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    please help!
    just got a new digital camera , figured how to use it(not too bad) i have now got a folder in photo bucket, can you tell me how to pust pics to the site...

thanks in advance

15. Fishsuep

Fishsuep Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the welcome.

I hope the site continues to be successful

All the best
    Sue