We've been here a year!!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by UsedtobeDendy, Oct 1, 2006.

1. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Yes - but it seems to have righted itself now, LoL!

The hanging thingies looked amazing through the summer - the petunias in particular filled out beautifully and smelled fantastic! Most of our neighbours think we're mad - good job there's the other mad gardening family 2 doors away! :D

2. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    You have put a lot of work into it D, considering you do it for a job as well, hope your back holds out. It looks really good so far, pat that lady on the back (perhaps not the back!) [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    make it the shoulder, Strongy - that's safer!! Thanks for that!

We're still hard at work, though - Mr D particularly with the pond - that's his prerogative (strangely enough,that's not the word he used himself....) And we're making a rockery on the front slope - virtue out of necessity - it was a swine to mow the grass, I can assure everyone!! And there's the side area that's going to be terraced and planted up, and....and.....and.... So no rest yet!

4. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Fantastic - all that in just 1 year! Very well done both of you. I love the cottage garden, have often thought it would be nice to have one too but unfortunately have no place to put one. So this year I made a cottage bench on the upper patio. How big a pond is Mr D planning to make? Since we have a large one I am always interested in anyone else's. You would think that the neighbours would do something with their plain and boring gardens (gardens? - more like yards) after seeing how you transformed your yard into a really beautiful garden. It is the same with LofL - her neighbors have yards that look like dumps with magnificent weeds! Like several others, I am wondering how you find the time to work at your business - do you ever rest?

5. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    Simple answer, KG - no! :D Not very often, anyway!

Photos and dimensions of the pond will appear on this thread once we've got over the minor hiccup of the armadillo cable being kaputt! I'm in the throes of discussing with the supplying firm about the damaged box in the "intact system"..........

Watch this space..........

If anyone would like seeds, particularly for cottage garden annuals, do EM or PM me - chances are I've got some spare - got far too much last year!!

6. GREENWIZARD

GREENWIZARD Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    looks fab d:)
    my b-i-l lives in larbert so i might drop by for a cup of tea sometime ;) :D

7. Brackenbeds

Brackenbeds Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  8. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Dendy, I have just seem this thread, your garden looks fantastic and I can see it has been a lot of work. Mind you it is going to be overgrown with Montbretias soon! Can't wait for the 2 year anniversary pics.

9. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    Hi, Greenwizard! You'll be very welcome! Any excuse to stop work for a cuppa!! :D I've got a few customers in Larbert- wouldn't it be a coincidence if you knew them!!

Thanks Brackenbeds! :cool:

Blackthorn - :D The next year photos will definitely show the montbretia/crocosmia take-over! I already had some I brought with me from Hemel, some I took away from a customer who was over-run, and grew some from seed - but I still love them - and I can be ruthless if I have to be....

10. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    dend the garden looks fantastic what a difference well done [​IMG]

11. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
  12. luckyboo

luckyboo Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi dendrobium,

I'm new around here and just wondering around the site and saw your garden pics. Looks great! [​IMG] looks like you have a wonderful little team - dog and all.

We've been in our present property three years and it's a constant struggle with the OH to get him to turn over any teeny bit of lawn to anything else.

13. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    Hi, Luckyboo! Welcome!!
    Thanks for your compliments - and as for other half - well - take matters into your own hands, (and dogs' paws, if you have one) :D It's great exercise - just look at my muscles! Oops - you can't see them, can you? Never mind! :D

14. luckyboo

luckyboo Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I do all the digging! Well me and my little doggy when she's in the mood (a yorkie, you understand). The problem lies in the OH's obsession with the 'perfect' lawn. He doesn't like my plants to 'ruin' it.

I just did what I wanted this year at the rear and it's been a battle. It would really be wonderful to have your partner in tune with your hobby. [​IMG]

15. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    ..... or at least humour you! [​IMG]

I'm very lucky there! :D