What a Waste!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Paladin, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    After years of putting everything into one bin, it did take a while to get used to sorting the rubbish into different ones, but once we got used to it, it was no problem at all. Rinse things out in the used dishwater like the capneys do, then you have no wasted water.

We've had this system for years now, and although we've heard of incidents like cybersioux mentioned, I wouldn't like to go back to just the one bin again.

As for the battery of garbage bins, like Ivory, we are fortunate to have a large garage to park them in. But I do appreciate the problem for those who don't, it's not nice to have them on show next to the front door.

2. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    I agree, much of the recycled glass is crushed and used to make the underlayer for roads and it doesn't matter what colour it is. This makes sense as the underlayer used to be granite chips (a valuable natural & limited resource). Road planings are recycled, my neighbour (a road surfacing contractor) has just laid the road into his new depot with crushed concrete and road planings. He has also put in street lamps (recycled). I am happier with this than I would be with a housing estate, as he will be living on site as well. We are very friendly in our small part of the road (several people have access gates between their gardens).

3. riverside

riverside Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure if you're down the road from me or not as theres a broadway nr/in cheltenham. but what we have recycling from the council is pitiful - one plastic box (with lid) which they will collect once a fortnight and theyve also introduced a green bag for garden waste, though they never told me when this would be collected :(
    what we do in this house is collect all recycling (I recycle as much as possible) in it's various 'bins' in the kitchen and take to the recycling centre at bishops cleeve or take over to tesco ourselves (depends what we've got and how much tbh)
    I've always wondered if the green waste at the recycling centre can take veggie peelings and stuff, I feel really bad throwing these away, but we dont have a composting bin and I wouldnt know where to start, and also being so close to the river, I really darent encourage wildlife if you know what I mean ;)

4. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    I'm not sure if you're down the road from me or not as theres a broadway nr/in cheltenham.
    Broadway on the other side of Winchcombe,riverside:)
    I don't think 'wildlife' would be a problem as long as you follow guide lines as what, and what not, to put in your compost.

5. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
  6. Paladin

Ratings:
    +770
    You have friends there or just been to Sudely Castle perhaps..?.:)

7. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
  8. Paladin

Ratings:
    +770
    Small world....Don't forget to pop over if your up this way again:)

9. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Defo, not been over in ages, but I would love another holiday:)

10. ms.mapgirl

ms.mapgirl Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I lived in Austria years ago, before councils here did doorstep recycling collections. We had to separate our (washed and crushed) recycling into SEVEN catagories, only two of which - the 'Rest' and the 'Bio' - were collected alternate weeks from 2 small wheelie bins shared between several flats. Everything else we had to take to the dump ourselves and put into the right place. An ever-vigilant, slightly hitleresque attendant could issue a spot fine for any mis-sorting, though mostly he settled for a spot of sustained verbal abuse and disdainful arm-waving. It was a nightmare to store all the stuff in a small flat, but you get used to it and when I came back to the UK I would wince each time I put recyclables in the bin. The Austrians are very civic-minded (or obedient, depending how you look at it), and followed the rules gladly. The same system here, I suspect, would see most of it under a hedge!