What a Wonderful Gesture.. !!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Marley Farley, Mar 14, 2010.

1. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I agree, if IT IS sincerely meant it is a wonderful gesture. But having read " Angels of Death " by William Marsden & Julian Sher, I have my doubts.:old:

2. SpiderInTheBath

SpiderInTheBath Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    You want to try riding in Belgium where I used to live. They have cobbles and tram lines. We were once stopping at traffic lights (in the rain) and my husband looked sideways and saw me sliding past with the back wheel almost level with the front one. I was on a racing bike which I loved, but it hated the cobbles when wet and it had just lost all grip. I stopped in time and apparently it looked really cool, but not from where I was sitting. :lollol:

Sorry, you probably already know this but there is a great technique for lifting a bike.

When the bike is on its side turn the bars so that the handlebar nearest the floor is locked against the tank. Squat down near the handlebar nearest the floor and try and hold with end of the handlebar with both hands. The keeping your back straight and using your legs stand up pushing the bike up with you.

I am 5' 8" so I can only get the bike about 3/4 of the way upright before running out of height so I then use my knee under the tank to give an extra shove. I have lifted a 28 stone bike (wet weight with a full tank) this way. Just make sure when you shove with your knee you don't get carried away and shove it over the other side!

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thumb: Exactly Cath, there is always a way if there is a will....!!!! :thumb: I am only 5'6" but have always managed to lift a bike.. Even I got the lead wing upright with the help of my grandson while the guy looked on & whinged about how his leg hurt..!!! Sorry no sympathy for those sort of fair weather bikers..!! I have riden in Belgium once & a car overtook in the city & ended up 3' off the ground on the central resevatio barrier, near one of the entrances to the tunnel....!!! :lollol: I have to say I laughed so much I could hardly see, as he sat there with a very red face.....!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotfl: Sorry not sympathetic Cath... If you own & ride a bike you should at least be able to man handle it to a point of keeping yourself safe...!!!!! :doh::wink:

4. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I remember being trained how to do all that...but in the middle of Fulham Broadway, London in rush hour traffic adrenalin kicked in and the desire to get the motorbike off out of the middle of the road! The pain came later...

5. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :dh::thumb: You have it in one Aaron.. The adrenalin kicks in & you just do it.. 50% pride I think... I think the same happens if you trip & fall in the street.. You are up & looking normal before anyone sees...!!!! :lollol:
    The bloke with the lead wing was such a whimp I just knew he was not an all weather 24/7 rider... I actually feel sorry for them really in a way, as to me they are just posers on posers machines..!!! :lollol:BTW... I apologise now to any lead wing owners if they are the real rough toughs of the 24/7 world of the real biker world, but that is my personal view.... !:thumb:

6. EddieJ

EddieJ gardener & Sculptor

Oak timber framer
    Ratings:
    +1,089
    Coo Stavelot, what a nice place to spend a sunny Sunday afternoon.:)

If funds permitted, I have also fancied buying the derelict hotel that's at Coo, and turn it into a dedicated bikers cafe and hotel. With Coo being such a mecca for Belgium motorcyclists, the other hotels are missing some very good potential.