1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What and when to plant for 365days of floral blossom

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Elina, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Elina

Elina Gardener

Part time CEO, full time house manager/maid x Mum
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hi all!

I'm new and know nothing...so today I nèed your help in planning my flower beds for almost all year round blossoms. I will really appericite the guidance. So when and what can I sow in those bed? And how and when to prepare tge beds? Because if I don't plan them for a year round yeild they will get occupied with all kinds of weeds.

South facing plot
    1506598809013526288238.jpg

East facing plot
    1506598937544988063033.jpg

Thanks

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Hiya Elina....nice to see you :)
      I would suggest you do a PH test. Simple thing to do and cheap. It will tell you if your soil is acid or alkaline; you will know then what plants will do well for you.
      Is the soil light or heavy? Does it drain well or hold puddles long after rain? Is it a warm sunny garden or cold and shady?
      Not one plant will flower forever but you can plan to have colour all year round and remember winter is as important as summer.
      Colour comes from foliage too....evergreen foliage is esp valuable in winter and Variegated shrubs often come alive then.
      Scent? Try for a couple of scented plants
      So, find out what your soil and conditions are and clear your garden of weeds. we can suggest all sorts of plants for you and you can do some sketches and plans incorporating what you think you would like.
      By the way, lavendar for me is an essential plant if your garden is warm and sunny. A curving lavendar border is a great evergreen aromatic edging all year round then produces clouds of deliciously scented blue flowers in summer:rasp:

• Like Like x 1
      • CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
        Ratings:
        +4,345
        Hi @Elina - Verdun has given some great advice that you should make sure you choose the plants to suit the soil - lavender loves sandy sunny soil and dies back if in claggy clay. But I have one plant that DOES flower 365 days per year ... my shrub anisodontea 'El Royo' has had flowers every day for the last 2 1/2 years! Only a few in the winter, but it has been continuously in flower. It is quite big, but worth it just to cheer you up when nothing much else is around.

• Like Like x 1
        • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Mother Nature's Garden Apprentice
          Ratings:
          +6,133
          @Elina
          :sign0016: to GC happy times ahead creating your new garden
          :sunflower::sunflower::sunflower::planting:
          @CarolineL I just googled your shrub and :wow:what a beauty ...Im Mallow mad and every time I add another plant to my garden its inevitably from the Mallow family it's a running joke :heehee:
          I had never heard of your beauty :wub2: ...So:ThankYou: for posting ... I am now on the hunt for one :) - It will be soooo welcome in my pollinator friendly wild-garden where the insects will feast away for months as you say - thats what I love about GC discovering new plants from other gardeners that you may never otherwise have heard of growing in their gardens :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
          • Verdun

Ratings:
            +17,487
            I think CarolineL is about right......I grew anisdontea capensis a few years back and, yes, it did flower for a very long time. As with any long flowering plant it will eventually exhaust itself but cuttings are easy to take. It will get woody after 18 months or so and snap off then in the wind. :)
            Euryops pectinatus is another.......once it starts to flower it will go on and on through winter too. It again exhausts itself but a delightful grey foliage and sunny yellow flowers.
            Erysimum Bowles Mauve too will do the same :)

• Like Like x 1
            • luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
              Ratings:
              +6,899
              Interesting comment BeeHappy re the Mallow. I had a pink mallow appear in back garden this summer - seed blown in I expect. It was very pretty but not even the flies were interested in it, so I decided against keeping it. I was disappointed as it was so lovely and grew taller than me ( 5ft.10 ins ).
              IMG_20170723_1702055_rewind.jpg

• Like Like x 2
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Verdun

Ratings:
                +17,487
                But not as tall as me lucius.......186 cm :rasp:.
                The malvas are dwarf varieties of mallow....alba is a delightful perennial flowering all summer; Primley Blue has blue flowers for an even longer period. :)

• Like Like x 1
                • Funny Funny x 1
                • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +6,133
                  @luciusmaximus Yes i agree its an odd one with whats pollinator friendly sometimes :scratch: i think that the bees of course know more when certain plants are nectar full as i see some of my recommended plants full of bloom but they are ignoring them :whistle: then all of a sudden they won't leave them alone :noidea: Natures full of wonder and mystery yes :heehee:
                  PS: your garden looks wonderful in that pic- buzzy heaven :wub2:

• Like Like x 1
                    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
                  • Elina

Elina Gardener

Ratings:
                    +44
                    Thank you all... @Verdun I haven't checked the ph of soil but soil is very rich dark in color flourishes plants well ( I can say it on behalf of planting a few plants), its not clay its well drained, the front patch is quite warm and without shade amd the side patch is warm and have some shade as it has a well established fern and hydrangeas plant.
                    I was not actually asking for one plant to flower all year around :) for that I have evergreen shrubs and conifers and I will add some foilage plants, I was trying to get a plan to sow bulbs/seeds/flowering plants in flower beds, which I design, in a way that It has all year round flowers in them , when one die backs the other takes it's place to avoid weeds as much possible as i could :( . The soil is very rich and its a buzzing garden with a lot of bees and few butterflies, if there is no proper plant weeds takes there place :'(.

Hope I have cleared my point of view.

In flowers; colors I like are whites, pinks,lilacs, purple, blue, maroon family (more deeper tones mixed with white to cut down the color) , i love fragrant flowers too.

• Like Like x 1
                    • Verdun

Ratings:
                      +17,487
                      Elina, no plant will flower all year round every year...it is misleading to suggest there is. Lots of long flowerers, most that do are short lived :noidea:. No plant can flower forever without a dormant or rest period.
                      The PH test is pretty important however the colour of your hydrangea is as good a test....if it is blue you have acid soil; if it is pink or red you alkaline or neutral soil :)
                      I practise here what you are asking for, viz., that when one plant dies down another covers it. Heleniums will cover hellebores after the latter have flowered, for example. For another, Baptisias disguise dying early daffs. Lots of examples to give but I am sure others will pop up with ideas.:)
                      However, you have deep rich soil and like maroon flowers? Want to cut down on the weeds and flower for a very long time? Then check out amplexaulis persicaria Dikke Floskes. Still flowering here looking superb and will start to flower in June. :)

• Like Like x 1
                      • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +6,133
                        :goodpost:@Elina I think you have been most concise my dear....cant beat a girl who knows what she wants ;) and thank you for your most informative post :) You know exactly what garden you want to create and it sounds as if your soil is going to give you no concerns - anyone who knows gardening will tell you that if you have a good variety of weeds then your soil is rich in nutrients, surprisingly weeds can be rather fussy where they grow :th scifD36: they know where the good soil is :heehee:
                        Now all you need to do ....is as your well aware is to prepare the ground for planting clearing can start ASAP ...some would say it's not the best time as its the end of the year and the weather will be against you in terms of rainy days but many of us plough on regardless on showery days - not torrential of course :rolleyespink: - most of us further up country would never get any gardening achieved if we waited on long warm rain-free days :heehee:
                        Do you have any existing plants that you want to keep? Do you want to keep the lawn?
                        Gardens are very personal and im, not one to force my humble opinion on which plants to grow, i feel its much nicer to give folks the opportunity to browse for themselves, choose their own planting scheme and then chat about their own decisions ...if then there's a query.. or something someone may be unaware of thats the time to say :)

So in the meantime I hope you find these links helpful - i know i did-Happy hunting :spinning::spinning:

Great helpful information links

Native British Wild Flower Calendar

No-Brainer Seasonal Flower Guide

https://jbgardenmarket.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/plant-bloom-time-calendar.pdf

PS: I do have to say i love the news that you have visiting Buzzy's and Flutterbys:wub2:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                          Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
                        • Elina

Elina Gardener

Ratings:
                          +44
                          Yes hydrangeas are pale pink and the mophead hydrangeas are pretty pink so i guess the soil is neutral

• Verdun

Ratings:
                          +17,487
                          Yes neutral to alkaline elina :). Most things will grow there except ericaceous :)

• Like Like x 1
                          • CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
                            Ratings:
                            +4,345
                            If your soil is well drained then perovskia and sphaeralcea monroi will give colour for a long period. No scent though...

• Like Like x 2
                            • Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
                              +1,731
                              • Like Like x 2
                              • Agree Agree x 1