What are we doing in the garden 2024

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by JWK, Jan 1, 2024.

1. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +22,571
    As far as salvias and slugs go S confertiflora and S microphylla cuttings have been left alone, but S guaranitica and S Amistad cuttings have been savaged.

• Like Like x 1
    • ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
      Ratings:
      +3,508
      Yes, I've tried Amistad in the past and found it vulnerable.

I think I might resist Fairy Queen. I've just made a list of plants I already have that need a spot in the ground, and let's just say I have enough to be going on with. :biggrin:

The last bits of grass may need to go!

• ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,508
      This is my problem exactly! :biggrin: I love taking lonicera cuttings, but they want to be BIG plants and don't like more than a yr or two in containers. I almost ended up propagating a spare bit of fuchsia growth yesterday, but had to be firm with myself. This autumn, I am trying not to start off any little plants which will need to be on the windowsill of the spare bedroom till spring. I rather hope we get a cold winter which will be a natural clear out.

• Jess91

Jess91 Gardener

Ratings:
      +99
      Since it's now bucketing it down with rain again I'm quite pleased that I mowed the lawn and jet washed the patio this morning whilst it was dry.
      Also did a bit of weeding and dead heading.

• Like Like x 1
      • On the Levels

On the Levels Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,502
        Didn't mow the "lawn"
        Didn't tackle the next lot of national collection of bindweed
        Did water in the new polytunnel where the crops are doing well......just wish the cucs would sort them selves out and produce cucs
        Watered the orchids indoors

• Like Like x 1
        • simone_in_wiltshire

simone_in_wiltshire Keen Gardener

A sort of Senior
          Ratings:
          +2,839
          I will go into the garden in a few minutes and started tidying up the garden a bit. I had to start working at 5 or earlier this week and had no energy to take care.

After having strong winds last week, my giant Verbascum, the joy of all bees and insects, was damaged and died inside days. It was in its second year, but it's still very annoying to lose plants down to the wind caused by the stupid idea of my neighbour to have a fence that doesn't allow wind to go through.
          There is the other Verbascum but it's not covered in so many flowers.
          The Ammi majus, aka False Queens Anne's Lace, broke partly during the rain. The flower heads were too heavy.
          I will now do what I thought already last year, but I wanted to wait until plants like the Verbascums have their second year. I can't have plants that are too high. Maximum height would be a half a meter and with the new Spirea and Deutzia, they will hopefully survive and give the needed height.
          There is now a gap of a meter in the middle of the bed. This will be part of the smaller path going through the middle to get a chance to take care of the plants if needed.
          I will also take out the two Foxtail lilies and the Leucantheum Queen May I will have to think about what to do with that part in red. The Eremurus is already out but will be replaced after I gave the entire length a manure treatment.
          That area circled in green is fine and newly planted.
          20240505ourgarden_03.jpg

• Like Like x 4
            Last edited: Jul 13, 2024
          • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
            Ratings:
            +4,485
            I think you need to create a shelter belt within your own garden @simone_in_wiltshire to prevent any future damage. It's never ideal to rely on anything permanent in neighbouring gardens, because you have no control over what happens in there. Perennials are particularly prone to being affected by weather changes, and it's often a case of putting in lots of supports early on in the season for taller plants. I hope you can get a successful outcome though :smile:

Probably back to rebuilding the shed today, next to the door and along the other side, after having a lovely break from all of it yesterday. I bet those bees were heaving a collective sigh of relief as they watched me drive away....:heehee:
            If it's dry I'll cut that L. B's Gold hedge - at last, and maybe plant some of the loniceras into the hedge. There's a few gaps in the gold hedge, so that might be a good idea. The other side which is new, can wait for the green loniceras I have. I've got a couple of things to plant out - I need the pot a Ligularia is in, so that might happen.
            I might have to pick your brains re orchids @On the Levels as my non gardening daughter has bought a little one for her flat. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
              Ratings:
              +122,455
              Yesterday, apart from spending an hour and a half taking apart the bird feeders and cleaning them, I finally managed to have a bonfire.

This had been on hold for many weeks as the wind had been in the wrong direction. We have a lot of 'stuff' in the garden that needs disposing of regularly. We have five compost heaps (each about 5ft x 5ft), fill three or four green waste wheelie bins each week but still need to have bonfires.

Noxious weeds and not noxious plants that we don't want in our compost are put in the wheelie bins but fairly often there are too many of them so they go on the bonfire. We have a lot of trees that are constantly dropping branches, or need pruning, and they also go on the fire.

Nearly 6ft high and over 10ft long
              upload_2024-7-13_8-25-18.jpeg

A lot of preparation goes before lighting. A pole is pushed in and out, and through, the heap to flush out any wildlife. Then the grass around the fire and all the surrounding trees get hosed down. During the whole burning procedure the same hosing down occurs.

Light blue touchpaper and stand back

30 seconds later

Another 30 seconds

six minutes after lighting

Anyone wants some potash?

• Like Like x 3
              • Informative Informative x 1
              • simone_in_wiltshire

simone_in_wiltshire Keen Gardener

A sort of Senior
                Ratings:
                +2,839
                The problem is @fairygirl that the wind comes from the SW, hits the neighbour’s fence on the other corner and bounces back. That’s why the plants have a 40 degrees angle and even the lilac tree has hardly leaves on the east side. I hope the spirea is strong enough to grow on all sides.

• ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

Ratings:
                +3,508
                Impressive inferno there, @shiney! :blue thumb:

I have been murdering stuff. :sad: My ground cover Carex grasses have got out of control and are smothering everything with their enthusiasm. The frogs love them, so I try to only tame small patches at a time. I do feel guilty yanking them out when they are growing so happily, but needs must. I started with one in a 3" pot ... and now I probably have several hundred. They are not shy about spreading.

Have also planted out a Geranium Album, a tall Veronica and 2 little Phalaris grasses. Now resting my back.

• Like Like x 2
                • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
                  Ratings:
                  +4,485
                  That's a pity @simone_in_wiltshire . Always something to challenge us isn't there? :smile:
                  You learn quickly here that everything needs good support, but it doesn't mean I always get them in early enough! It's also why shrub based gardens were easier, especially when I was working. I experiment a bit more now with plants. Spireas are pretty accommodating though, so that might do well for you.Fingers crossed.
                  Double sided or hit and miss fences are always better, or even just single planks with small gaps, and most people round here have learned [the hard way] that those larch lap ones are hopeless too. They just act like sails. Utterly useless in windier sites.

I hope @shiney hasn't been doing any murdering @ViewAhead , and it's just plant material in the bonfire....:heehee:

• Agree Agree x 2
                  • Funny Funny x 2
                  • ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

Ratings:
                    +3,508
                    We need another pic of Mrs Shiney to prove she is still with us! :yikes:

:biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 1
                    • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
                      Ratings:
                      +4,485
                      "Brookside" anyone ? :heehee:

Good job you have a nice sense of humour @shiney! :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 2
                      • On the Levels

On the Levels Super Gardener

Ratings:
                        +1,502
                        @fairygirl we are always happy to help with orchid issues but we aren't expert even though we have been growing many for over 40 years.

• fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
                        Ratings:
                        +4,485
                        Very kind of you @On the Levels . It'll only be the most basic of questions! It's not something I've ever grown, and it's just a small Phalaenopsis she got when we were in Ikea recently. Th epot is tiny and it looks like it needs repotting. I have a clear container I can give her today when she visits, which is slightly bigger than the one it's in, but I'm not sure about the mix for it. I was going to research it a bit, but then thought I'd ask one of the knowledgeable folk here.
                        Any advice you can offer will be very gratefully received - and no need to reply urgently. :smile:

Today's to be decent again, so I'll be doing more 'shed work' down the other side, which I hadn't intended doing yet, but I got the timber so I may as well keep going while the weather's favourable. Some concreting right down that side too I think, to join up with the paving slabs there.
                        Hundreds of other jobs to do, so it's a case of prioritising - mainly according to how much my aching limbs can manage! Should be able to sort out the border next to the bit I've done, as it's been well trampled etc, and I can empty the other compost bin in it for that. Not sure if I'll return the planting that was there, but it's quite likely - a Fatsia and a honeysuckle.