What are we doing in the garden 2024

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by JWK, Jan 1, 2024.

1. Goldenlily26

Goldenlily26 Super Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,692
    I have passed on the name to my daughter as she has to choose what she likes the look of. It is a height thing as well as she is looking for a shorter growing one to go with what she already has. Have come across the Firecracker range, bicolours which she may try. It is up to her.

2. Goldenlily26

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,692
    I reclaimed a plastic manhole cover thingy. 2ftX3ft by 9ins deep. I bought it originally to create a mini pond on my patio. No plants, just a small fountain.
    It now makes a de luxe litter tray for my aging cat. I had to empty it and scrub it out before putting soil topped with cat litter in it. Poppy christened it within an hour of me putting it in the conservatory. A bit cheeky as it was meant for night time. She is almost 18 years old so I have to concede that she now needs a little bit of spoiling.

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • He who dares

He who dares Gardener

Ratings:
      +36
      Thanks. Good to know.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +122,455
      Cut back an 8ft bramble, raked the bucket full of fallen pears so I could mow that lawn, mowed two other lawns, trimmed the edges and raked them and left Mrs S to pick up the last lot as my back wouldn't bend any more. I then dumped the bramble on the bonfire heap and everything else on the compost. Fit for the knackers yard now :phew: :dunno:

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Liriodendron

Liriodendron Keen Gardener

Retired gardener
        Ratings:
        +879
        @He who dares - summer pruning is especially good for trained apple or pear trees such as cordons or fans, but it's also good for free standing trees which are getting too big, and to increase sunlight getting to the fruit to ripen it. In addition, it can stimulate pruned shoots to produce more fruit buds.

It's important not to prune too early, or the tree will respond by producing more vegetative growth. You need to wait until the side shoots which you want to prune have ripened and become "woody" for the bottom third of their growth. That'll happen at different times in different years, depending on the weather.

• Like Like x 2
        • He who dares

He who dares Gardener

Ratings:
          +36
          Thanks for this comprehensive reply and guidance. I'm very grateful.

• Like Like x 1
          • On the Levels

On the Levels Super Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,502
            Excitement...we found one pea seedling in the row that had loads of seeds sown!
            Then we cleared another area that was supposed to have dwarf french beans (none germinated or the mice got the lot) ready for some more beans sown in pots indoors that this time have germinated. Will get some harvest at some time.
            Mowed the paths in the orchard. Amazing how quick the grass grows out there.

• Goldenlily26

Retired
            Ratings:
            +1,692
            Pruned my first apple tree and counted 8 apples. My other tree is another matter as I will need to use a step ladder.
            Trimmed my potted olive tree as it had a lot of die back from the wet winter, also tidied up a couple of roses with die back. Trimmed my neighbours jasmine back to its own garden, it is hell bent on invading my side of the wall, also trimmed dead stems from a tracleospermum . Cut the spent flower stems from my Lucifer Crocosmia to dry and spray as Christmas garlands, arrangements etc.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +122,455
            Today we have some conifers to shape. Some people call them ornamental conifers but they're just shaped and kept under control and the small birds love them as they are close to where we have our bird feeders. They feel very safe hopping from the trees to the feeders.

We also shape a large hazel tree near the house but that is too hard for me to do nowadays and needs a tall ladder and long power cutters so I get someone to do that for us. He'll do the conifers as well.

Our apple trees won't be pruned until Autumn. Although our eating apple trees seem to be having their worst season ever they still have quite a lot of fruit on them. The trees with cooking apples seem as though they are having their best season. :scratch: They're all over 70 years old and probably closer to 100 years old and in the 52 years we have been here they have never had a bad year :fingers crossed:

Having now cut back a lot of plants in one area, as they have finished for the season, I can now get to the strawberry weed that runs rampant underneath. I've put the sprinkler on that area as the ground is rock hard and I'm not able to dig in it. Hopefully by later this morning the ground will be more manageable.

• Like Like x 1
            • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
              Ratings:
              +4,485
              I didn't do very much yesterday after my morning walk, but got a bit more 'shed' work done. It'll have to wait now until a drier day for completion, as I was otherwise engaged in the afternoon. Needed a break from it all anyway. :smile:
              Won't be doing anything outside today due to the weather.

Many people hate conifers @shiney, which I understand, and they're a very common feature in Scottish gardens as they're suited to our conditions, but the birds all make very good use of the one in my garden too, as it's near the feeders, so they're an excellent place for them to scurry into for cover. I did curse the amount of stuff that comes off onto my car, and blocked all the vents, but now that daughter has moved out, I've been able it keep it on the other side of the drive!

• Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
              Ratings:
              +47,766
              Weeded around the polyanthus along the path. Deadheaded the roses and some watering.

• RowlandsCastle

RowlandsCastle Keen Gardener

Ratings:
              +3,345
              Been cutting back shrubs that were seriously overhanging a gravel path. Then I cleared the path (almost) of weeds and debris.
              I can actually walk right round our area set aside for fruit trees and bushes.

• Like Like x 1
              • ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
                Ratings:
                +3,508
                Bit of weeding, bit of watering, bit of thinking about what needs doing. :) Too humid for energetic activity.

• Like Like x 1
                • Robert Bowen

Robert Bowen Gardener

Ratings:
                  +187
                  Thanks for that , its hard to fight back the urge to prune earlier.

• fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
                  Ratings:
                  +4,485
                  Hopefully I'll get some planting done today, and maybe finish off the bit of the raised bed round the other side of the shed. Haven't looked at it since I did the concreting on Sunday afternoon, so hopefully it's fine.
                  I have compost from one bin to bring round for topping up the various areas I've been amending, and other than that it'll be a mix of bits and pieces depending on whether it stays dry. I have another corner near the shed, under the conifer, which I'm going to fix up properly for a storage box I have, so I might take a look at that and see if I have material I can re use to make it level. It's currently just a mix of planting, and a bare bit where I had the daily compost bin [now re sited] and the 'bee/wasp nesting box'.

• Like Like x 1