What are we doing in the garden 2024

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by JWK, Jan 1, 2024.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    I was diagnosed with a back problem at the age of seven but in those days anything that they weren't sure about was called rheumatism :dunno:. At the age of seventeen I ended up in hospital for an operation on my back (can't remember what it was :doh:) that did help a lot but I always have to be careful not to do too much heavy work. That's my excuse anyway :heehee:.

Can't crouch or kneel (damaged knee on an assault course 62 years ago) but still get a lot done in the garden as long as I'm upright. Mrs Shiney does all the bending.

I have a six weekly treatment by a McTimoney chiropractor and it helps keep me OK (sort of :rolleyespink:). It's a gentle form of chiropractic which treats the muscles and doesn't pull and jerk you about. That works well for me as I'm a wimp!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Robert Bowen

Robert Bowen Gardener

Ratings:
      +187
      Its a grey damp murky day here today so for anybody else with the same weather heres a little bit of colour to brighten the day. @Plantminded i think i actually need MORE heleniums. :) IMG_2433.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Goldenlily26

Goldenlily26 Super Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +1,692
        The McTimoney technique was developed to treat animals. I took my daughter's dwarf rabbit Smudge to one of their trainees after my daughter dropped him. I could see his tail was around the corner from the base of his spine and he was having problems walking. The vet said to put him down.I had heard of the McTimoneys so contacted them. I was put in touch with one of their students who lived locally, took Smudge along, she wasn't confident enough to treat him without supervision so she took him to their training centre and brought him back the next day, tail aligned. He lived for another 7 years! I believe they stopped treating animals after Mr McTimoney died, his wife and sister tried to keep his practice going without success. I think something similar is used on horses now, especially jumpers. The Bowen technique is also similar.

• Like Like x 1
        • ArmyAirForce

ArmyAirForce Gardener

Ratings:
          +217
          Right now, I'm looking out of the window at the pouring rain, thinking about all the things that need doing in the garden. Particularly a large pile of brick rubble that needs to go to the tip.

• Like Like x 2
          • Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +2,971
            Maybe some of the orange or red ones @Robert Bowen. I'm noticing how Rudbeckias stand out everywhere now, I may need to get some more :). (Yours look good!)

• Agree Agree x 1
              Last edited: Aug 28, 2024
            • ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
              Ratings:
              +3,508
              My chiropractor was McTimoney. :) My back problem is not an alignment one, but a frozen one. I have the same problem with shoulders, but I manage to keep those moving by massaging the most painful points till the pain moves to another location ... and then repeating at the new location. As long as I start as soon as the pain kicks in and do it multiple times a day (20+) for the first 48 hrs, I can usually keep it at bay enough not to lose movement. (Works for me, but seek advice before trying. :ccheers:)

Is it me or are self-seeding cornflowers (the ones with the slightly furry leaves) tenacious little beggars? :scratch: I moved one that was in an awkward spot and little seedlings are popping up daily, refusing to be deterred. It's like it's saying it chose that spot and that is the spot it wants and I'd better get with the plan. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
              • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
                Ratings:
                +22,571
                I damaged both sciatic nerves in my late 30s left me with permanent weakness in both legs, especially the left, plus problems with propioception so I'm prone to falling over nothing when a foot "forgets" where it's supposed to be. I lost the ability to run or cycle competitively and it slowed my walking down massively. I saw my GP after this and his advice was "well if it gets worse come back and if it hurts take painkillers"
                I also have one leg shorter than the other and a twisted spine, one leg shorter then the other is more common than people might think.
                I regularly see a chiropractor and find it helps me. As I get older the problems are becoming worse and the knees have worn out faster than expected.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
                  Ratings:
                  +22,571
                  I'd hang on to it; it could be useful in foundations of puildings and paths. Worst comes to the worst dig a hole put in rubble as a slight mound and cover over with soil and Bingo a well drained bed for plants that like dry roots over winter.

• waterbut

waterbut Gardener

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +153
                    You do know RC that a lot of varieties of raspberry canes produce long roots that can come up in your lawn. Speaking from experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
                    • ArmyAirForce

ArmyAirForce Gardener

Ratings:
                      +217
                      The rain stopped, so it's gone. I've just finished all the paths and patio extensions, kept about 80 good bricks and the rest have gone. It's the remains of my front wall, demolished by a lady BMW driver in December!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • On the Levels

On the Levels Super Gardener

Ratings:
                        +1,502
                        Handed in our very short list of entries for the village produce show on Saturday. Tried very hard to add more entries but not good. All the tomatoes are still VERY green, the cobs are not developing, onions (forget them), beans (ditto), berries and nuts..well the birds got the first and then the squirrels got the next and so the list doesn't grow. But we hope that our small contribution will add to the show.

• Like Like x 1
                        • RowlandsCastle

RowlandsCastle Keen Gardener

Ratings:
                          +3,345
                          Removed the remainder of the third conifer - except for a side shoot from ground level, about an inch thick and four feet high. This will make a really useful support for the next shrub to go in. I've no idea what it will be, but there's no point sweating to remove it, when I will probably need to hammer in a support at some stage.
                          Been pruning a jasmine (cream coloured).

Wife has planted two hellebores - Penny's Pink, and Charmer. For someone who complained about the amount of white and pink flowers in this garden, they are odd choices.
                          There again, I know she's odd - she chose me!!
                          She's also planted, a number of bulbs. Iris Reticulata Blue Note, Iris Reticulata J.S. Dijt, and plenty of daffodils. She had a spend at the GC yesterday!!

• Like Like x 4
                          • lizzie27

lizzie27 Super Gardener

Retired
                            Ratings:
                            +1,397
                            Gosh, what a lot of varied back problems, sympathies to you all. Odd, what works for one person doesn't work for another but then again, we're all different.
                            The solution to having one leg shorter than the other is apparently a replacement hip operation!
                            OH had that problem when his right hip ground down so much but the consultant told him he could solve that problem with the new prosthetic as long as he measured the length really carefully.

I've not done a lot today, feeling quite tired and it's been very warm but humid. I did have a go at wiring the slats together on the trashed fence using thin wire which doesn't look very elegant but it will have to do temporarily. Unfortunately I can't reach the top of the fence.

• Agree Agree x 3
                            • Robert Bowen

Robert Bowen Gardener

Ratings:
                              +187
                              @RowlandsCastle , this story of your conifers is gripping . I cant wait for the next instalment. Will there be another series in 2025. ;)

• Funny Funny x 4
                              • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
                                Ratings:
                                +47,766
                                Picked some more blackberries, pruned some roses and watered the polyanthus and hanging baskets.

I sympathise with you all who have back problems, i do as well.

Hubby had both hips replaced, his feet used to go outward, now they point straight forward.

• Like Like x 3
                                • Friendly Friendly x 1