What are we doing in the garden 2024

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by JWK, Jan 1, 2024.

1. ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
    Ratings:
    +3,508
    Steamed caterpillar? :biggrin: Maybe not.

Feels just like July here today. :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • RowlandsCastle

RowlandsCastle Keen Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,345
      Feels like July here too. Perfect weather for gardening!!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +8,900
        I cut the Grass at the top of the garden. Looked at the Toms and have
        decided to not feed or water them anymore now.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • Liriodendron

Liriodendron Keen Gardener

Retired gardener
          Ratings:
          +879
          Picked the entire crop (4 small apples) from the Cox tree. Cut lawn edges and barrowed grass to compost heap after OH mowed. Weeded out several yards of couch grass, encroaching into a border from the meadow. Another lovely day!

• Like Like x 1
          • lizzie27

lizzie27 Super Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +1,395
            I decided to cut down the tomatoes in my small leanto glasshouse and put the meagre offerings in a brown paper bag with banana skins and stuck it in a cupboard. Not really fussed whether they ripen or not and have more or less decided not to bother growing them again. A lot of effort for very little gain.
            Pottered around the garden still trying to tidy up before autumn storms, pots to stash away and homes found for bits and bobs. I cleared out my sentry shed yesterday and wondered why I had four boxes of 'useful stuff' in them but still couldn't force myself to throw anything away. That's probably not counting the boxes in the big shed and in my wooden growhouse which is now just a store.
            Had a bit of shock later on when I'd wandered outside our boundary to check on any wayward wisteria strands. I have trained my wisteria to go along the front terrace wall to the boundary turn a sharp left then run outside along the side boundary as far as the garden gate. Gives the neighbours and passersby something pretty to look at when it's in bloom. So far so good but this year, the wisteria had decided to throw a couple of strands to the RIGHT of the corner and kept going through the privet hedge - about fifteen feet ( 5 m) long! I pulled a strand and it just kept coming! I was quite tempted to let it run riot through the long privet hedge which is getting a bit scraggy and bare but the maintenance and twice yearly pruning didn't bear thinking about so I cut it back to the corner. I shall have to keep a close eye on it in the future.

• Like Like x 1