What are we doing in the garden 2024

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by JWK, Jan 1, 2024.

1. cactus_girl

cactus_girl Super Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,605
    You would think living by a golf course would be quiet. No. Before the sun comes up they sometimes get their leaf blowers out and it goes on for ages. Then the grass cutters come out, which can be tractor type ones or these special sit on ones that seem to go in any direction. The golfers are very quiet - sometimes you hear them shout "Fore!" and I do put my hands on my head just in case.

Neighbours are quiet - no leaf blowers at all.

All I did in the garden was mop up after a heavy downpour. Geranium flowers all bashed off. Now it's dark and thundering again. At least we've finally been watered. Runner beans looking sad. But I'll keep them going to harvest the beans for next year. I will wait till the pods are fully dried out as last year alot went mouldy.

• Like Like x 3
    • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
      Ratings:
      +47,799
      Finished preparing this border for the wallflowers, put a lot of compost on they're going in behind the polyanthus.
      20240921_190314.jpg

• Like Like x 2
      • lizzie27

lizzie27 Super Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +1,410
        We've been out most of the day so all I did when we got back was take the full indoor compost bin up to the outdoor one and just walked around checking on things. Found, to my amazement, that one of my pears is missing - I only had 3 in the first place! Really miffed.
        The missing one was one of two on the same twig, the other one had fallen onto the grass. Searched all around but didn't find it. It's a bit big for a squirrel to pinch unless it knocked both to the ground and ate one. If so, I hope he's got stomach ache.

• Like Like x 2
        • Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +3,002
          I went to our local garden centre this morning which has now been fully refurbished after years of decline. It’s almost on my doorstep, about a mile away, and it stocks a good range of plants at reasonable prices. There are no scented candles or horrible trinkets so just plants and garden related goods. It’s not as good as some of the others in the area but handy for emergencies, of which I have many :biggrin:.

Today I bought some bark and three small Thuja Smaragds. I used the bark on the circular border in my front lawn, put one of the Thujas in a container and the others on the bank in my lower garden. I’m trying to provide some extra greenery and structure there over winter as I see that part of the garden every time I come in and out of the house.

I also repainted a small section of fencing that gets full sun in the afternoon. It was showing a few unpainted margins where the panels had expanded slightly in the heat over summer. Very annoying but now solved :). No more painting this year, it’s messy and I’ve had enough!

• Like Like x 1
            Last edited: Sep 21, 2024 at 9:57 PM
          • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +8,901
            I've removed all the foliage on the toms one to help them ripen and 2 they covered in white fly :gaah: , I want in after with the hose and blasted the toms down and everything else . Melons gone no melons for me again the cold spell seen them off . Seeded the lawn this week I've left it far to late :doh:fleeced it to help but I may have a mud patch all over winter .

Tomorrow I am off to holden nurseries taking advantage of a plant voucher I got from a show , I'll do a detour on the way home to have a look in the sale section at another GC.

• Like Like x 2