What are we doing in the garden 2024

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by JWK, Jan 1, 2024.

1. Plantminded

Plantminded Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,433
    I went to the Garden Centre this morning to get some thymes to go in the bed I planted with tulips yesterday. They didn’t have any good ones so I bought some wallflowers instead and planted them this afternoon. They’re very young and I’m a little sceptical about whether they’ll establish well before winter but we’ll see. The Rowan above my steps is now bare so I swept and cleaned the steps for the last time this year, I hope. I then planted up a container with some daffodil and dwarf iris bulbs, despite an earlier decision not to bother with bulbs this year :biggrin:.

• Like Like x 1
      Last edited: Oct 22, 2024 at 5:23 PM
    • lizzie27

lizzie27 Super Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +1,551
      My vertigo had virtually disappeared today so I've been out (very cautiously) and started clearing up the leaves off the paths around the house, doing it in half hour stints. As long as I remembered not to bend down it was doable.

Amazed to find that the winter manure I'd sown only a week or so ago is already germinating in the 3 veg beds so will have to pick all the fallen leaves off every day as there is a very large Norwegian Maple close by. It's been a nice sunny day for a change and temps got up to 17.3c by 4 pm, very pleasant.

• Like Like x 2
      • Robert Bowen

Robert Bowen Gardener

Ratings:
        +250
        @ArmyAirForce i take it thats a branch line halt you have there . Tickets available to purchase online only i suppose .

• fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
        Ratings:
        +5,238
        Didn't get an awful lot done yesterday as I had to collect the car after it's MOT, and decided to go and get some supplies that I needed, as it was ready nice and early. A bit of pot painting, and I got the tulips I'd bought a few weeks ago put in to one of those. Washed the pea gravel for mixing with that and top dressing.
        Hopefully I'll get more done today as it's to be a better day, so perhaps I'll tackle that front area. I might dig out the white potentilla that's to go there, and shove it in. I'll probably get distracted by some other job though! I have another bundle of bulbs to plant up, and I removed a dahlia from it's pot for that purpose. There's a few tiny buds on the dahlia, but they're unlikely to get to flowering stage now, so I might just get that ready for it's winter rest.