WHAT ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY - 2021

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Jan 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
    Ratings:
    +54,381
    Plan for this morning is to continue with the border prep...next one to be sorted is the one that has ..maybe 'had':dunno:....the majority of our Dahlias. I will still leave their coverings on for a few more weeks....and the remove them all and cross everything that can be crossed!!!:fingers crossed::fingers crossed:

That's the a.m plan....now to see if I stick to it!!:heehee:

• Like Like x 10
    • Informative Informative x 1
      Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
      Ratings:
      +47,752
      Hubby is slowly pruning the roses, that's his job. He won't let me do it just incase i prune too much.
      I'll do something this afternoon but not sure yet, might empty one of the compost bins. Thinking of keeping the compost to pot on the pot marigolds when I've sown them and when they need potting on.

• Like Like x 8
      • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +54,381
        Just came back in and it's not too bad out there. Made a start on the border. Eventually I will empty our 2 huge compost pens out and mulch all the borders, leaving the 2 smaller ones as they're not ready yet. That will then allow us to start filling the pens with this years cuttings,mowings ,kichen waste etc. And so the cycle continues.:dbgrtmb:

Right coffee break is over!! :coffee:

• Like Like x 9
        • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +54,381
          1. Finished the 'dahlia ' border and have move the flower pots that covered their protective mound of mulch, hopefully the sun will warm them up a bit , I will recover them tonight as we have minus temps again. Also weeded some of the nearby paths. IMG_20210308_121908.jpg IMG_20210308_121849.jpg

Also 'lightly' tidied up Peaceful Pets garden. I don't dig too deep in case I disturb them:yikes:...7 sleeping pets. IMG_20210308_133836.jpg

• Like Like x 10
          • Friendly Friendly x 3
          • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
            +23,842
            Have prettified some area that were just dug over before winter with another dig and rake over. Makes such a difference, even if they are empty beds! Got some bulbs in now and scrounging what I can to fill it all up :)
            Prepped veg beds for something to go in too...

• Like Like x 10
            • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
              Ratings:
              +47,752
              @Upsydaisy that's nice about the peaceful pets garden.
              :imphrt:
              What pets did you have?

• Like Like x 2
              • Agree Agree x 2
              • Friendly Friendly x 2
              • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +54,381
                Cockatiels , Budgies, Hamsters and Rabbits.
                All great and well loved and ......more importantly manageable!! :)Especially with the many little tots that I cared for,as we were often out for the majority of the day. More importantly they were easy for my family to have stay over with them when we took our brood over to France for summer hols or on weekends away.
                One of my absolute favourites, and I still get tearful now 22 yrs on, was our pedigree Lop Earred Rabbit. Sadly someone's dog got through our hedge and attacked his run and knocked the door opened.....need I say more :cry3: All the ****** owner said was ,' Oh you naughty boy'..patting and stroking the animal then turned to me and said 'Sorry'. And the dog had our dead rabbit in its mouth!!!.

My sister here also had rabbits and budgies.
                My Mum and Dad had a big aviary in the garden at one time. So plenty of experience pet sitters!!!:heehee:

Keep thinking about getting some more Cockatiels our last one was over 20 yrs old...the house was always full of bird song and at first it seemed eerily quite.

• Friendly Friendly x 5
                • Like Like x 3
                • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
                  Ratings:
                  +47,752
                  That's great, Cockatiels are good :)

• Like Like x 5
                  • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
                    Ratings:
                    +47,752
                    I did empty one of the compost bins and hubby did 8 roses.

• Like Like x 5
                    • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +54,381
                      Dead headed, trimmed and re- shaped most of the Geraniums that are blooming away in the cold frames.
                      Checked over and removed some manky leaves on the Strawberry plants.
                      Gave the Lemon Tree its final Winter feed, from next month it will be on its Summer diet!!:) No scale insects in sight either .:dbgrtmb:
                      Sowed a tray of Cephalophora to go in pots by the kitchen patio doors...lovely Pineapple fragrance.
                      Put another load of compost in the greenhouse to warm up and to be sieved tomorrow.

• Like Like x 8
                      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                        +100,838
                        I went to a section of the garden where I put seedlings, cuttings, offsets, etc in pots to grow on. I usually forget about them unless I'm going past that area but today actually went there on purpose to see if there was anything worth planting and found 8 Primroses, A Day Lily, and at least 9 Dephinium, so I brought those up to the Patio to remind me to plant them somewhere in the borders. I planted some more Allium "Nectaroscordums", an Achillea "Paprika", divided some plants that had grown together under the Rose "Trumpeter", planted a Centaurea "Amethyst in Snow" in the borders and, while passing, refilled the Bird Feeders.
                        I also noticed that the old Bird Bath
                        upload_2021-3-8_19-49-9.png
                        has started to lean a little towards the centre path, so I will have to get a long Crowbar and lever it back level again while inserting some supporting bricks under the base.
                        The entrance to the Lawn is via a narrow grass strip between the Lawn border and the Observatory and it's had a bit of a thrashing due to my to'ing and fro' to plant stuff in the West, Bottom and Lawn borders from the Lawn side, so I've been toying with the idea of going to the Plant Nursery to get some small stepping stones to stop the grass being trodden on. Luckily, while filling a Watering Can from the Butts at the back of the Green House I remembered, and found, the stacks of Pavers the Landscaper had left me after building the Patio. In those stacks were a lot of nearly 4" x 6" Pavers that will be ideal for the job so that has saved me some money and a trip to the Plant Nursery.

• Like Like x 11
                        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                          Ratings:
                          +122,407
                          The last several days have been taken up with repairs in the garden. Fifteen years ago we had a new metal shed erected. It was going on a slightly sloping area that would need a sub-base and then paving for the shed to be fixed to. The men said the base would be made of sand and cement (I'm definitely no expert on these things) and then the paving would be laid on top. I was not around when they made the base and I didn't find out until a week after they had finished that instead of the sand and cement they had made the base from the tons of ash from my bonfire :yikes:

They surrounded the base with timber so I was not able to see what they had done.

184_8499.JPG

A week later I had some trouble with the doors and we had someone round who was a foreman of works at the council (husband of one of my managers) and he had a look. He lifted one of the slabs and saw the problem. I cancelled the cheque and contacted the people that had done it and said I wouldn't pay unless they came back and did the job properly. Needless to say, they didn't come back! (There's a long story about how they tried to sue me for the money).

The council foreman said that, really, the whole job should be redone but if I didn't want to go through with all the hassle he would put a second run of timber, with heavy duty stakes, around the outside of the other timber and adjust the door. That had lasted for the fifteen years until, during this winter, the timber finally rotted and then the rabbits started digging under the shed.

This is what the base looked like with the timber gone.
                          P1500766.JPG

P1500767.JPG

The man who recently redid my patio said he could replace the timber with concrete. He has now done most of the work and just has some finishing off to do and cleaning up.
                          P1500775.JPG

P1500776.JPG

P1500805.JPG

P1500806.JPG

• Like Like x 11
                          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                            Ratings:
                            +122,407
                            He has also been helping me with another job.

45 years ago I built a propagator in the greenhouse (was just as useless at DIY then as I am now!) and this winter it started warping and promising to fall apart. So he said he would 'help' me build another one (he did all the work :heehee:).

This was the old one. It had over a quarter of a ton of sand and gravel in it :rolleyespink:
                            P1500794.JPG

P1500795.JPG

P1500796.JPG

He said that the heating cable and thermostat were still working although the cable was a little bit brittle but it seemed a very tough one. So he said he would put that back and if it gave up the ghost he would come back and put a new one in.

It didn't look too good covered in baked on sand.
                            P1500797.JPG

P1500798.JPG

For some decades I haven't been physically able to get down under the benching to keep the power board clean and tidy :hate-shocked: (Rather old fashioned with armoured cables running to it but more modern fuse box, isolator and RCD)
                            P1500799.JPG

There were another 15+ buckets of sand and gravel outside on the lawn
                            P1500842.JPG

P1500843.JPG

The new one in place and everything working OK.
                            P1500850.JPG

He also made a new framework for the cover I use but I still used the sheet of plastic that I've used for ages.
                            P1500851.JPG

P1500852.JPG

• Like Like x 11
                            • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
                              +8,896
                              wet day so I've been in the greenhouse pricking out some begonia seedling and sowed some extra petunia seeds . Also potted up my begonia tubers which were already raring to go , look how white the stems are . DSC_0489.JPG

The David Austin catalogue arrived today oh the temptation :help: . The front lawn I think will disappear this year :hate-shocked: I've got to many ideas on what I could do with all that planting space think a English garden prairie style :) , Prairie plants like Eupartoriums - veronicastrums - molinia - sanguisorba and swaths of eryngium - salvias - astrantia add in a 100+ or so alliums and a few shrub rose and probably another climber/rambler on the fence :hapydancsmil:, could do to stop thinking about it the lawn will be gone by the end of this week :heehee:.

Ordered some plants the other day from binney plants , thought I were doing so well not buying any plants this year :pathd:but for seeds - dahlia tubers and some other bits that don't count .

• Like Like x 12
                              • Friendly Friendly x 1
                              • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                                +100,838
                                [​IMG]

And I thought I was bad with buying plants with projects every year/month/day:dunno::heehee::heehee:

• Funny Funny x 5
                                • Like Like x 2
                                Thread Status:
                                Not open for further replies.