WHAT ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY - 2021

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Jan 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
    Ratings:
    +47,766
    @Snorky85 hope that you feel better soon.
    Lovely bamboo

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
      Ratings:
      +4,863
      Hope it subsides soon @Snorky85
      I have been killing lily beetles today - I found 15 on a single clump of lilies, but none on another clump nearby. Very odd. Snails had also been munching the young growths, so ferrous sulphate pellets applied.

• Like Like x 7
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +53,889
        I was pottering about in the garden and then decided to go for it.....

IMG_5979.JPG

This coal bunker still a quarter full has been on the 'to go' list since I moved here 3+ years ago. Although I have a burner indoors I would never use coal so filled two barrow loads and wheeled them round to my neighbour. Then I swept out the soot and hosed it all ready for recycling. No, I'm not getting rid of it. It'll be moved and take on a new life as a composter.

• Like Like x 11
        • Creative Creative x 3
        • luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
          Ratings:
          +6,899
          :hotsun: but a bit of a sea breeze blowing across the garden. Put the buns into the runs for first time this year. They went absolutely mad, running and jumping with joy of being outside again. Very tired tonight and flaked out on rugs, barely a peep out of anyone :loll:.

I did a bit of cutting back, bit of weeding of the gravel next to the patio. Topped up four pots with fresh compost - used all of 50 litre bag. Dead headed 18 primulas. Lots of new buds underneath the old flowers, so they should come through now. I checked the hedgehog houses under willow tree, expecting to find Rats in residence but found one box actually had a :hhog: in it. Possibly the same :hhog: I found in the feeding station night before last when I went out to put the food in. Decided it was time for coffee and biscuits on a zero g chair watching the buns and listening to the birds. I did intend to do a bit more. However, after reclining on the zero g with the sun warming my face, I subscribe that all enthusiasm for more gardening deserted me :heehee::heehee::loll:.

I went to the hardware store earlier and bought a navy blue Aqualegia. It looks a very pretty colour on the label.

• Like Like x 11
          • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
            +23,862
            Got a sniffle so just pottering about, moved some ferns into a corner that I've neglected and threw in some foxgloves to bulk up the ground. Tried moving some shed sides around but too heavy so waiting to the weekend for a helping hand

• Like Like x 7
            • Friendly Friendly x 2
            • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
              Ratings:
              +55,156
              I took a few cuttings from my Hibbertia scandens and am going to try to root them in water. Sowed Giant Sweet Pea and Nasturtium "Alaska Mixed" seeds.

• Like Like x 9
              • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
                Ratings:
                +47,766
                Did some more to re doing a border, cut the edge of the grass and took a bit more off without hubby noticing.:whistle:

• Funny Funny x 7
                • Like Like x 4
                • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                  +100,838
                  The Contractor came today to cut the thick Ivy on the 93' long back fence which had grown above the fence to a height of at least 12'. He has done a really good job, the fence is 6' of 4"x2" timber laid horizontally between the concrete posts with a 18" high trellis on top so he had to cut down around a 5' wall of Ivy to get it down to the top of the Trellis again, all without any damage to a single plant or Shrub. He never stopped working and even managed not to fall into the Wildlife pond while cutting down the Ivy from the garden side.
                  The back fence has a small Lane running right along it but the Lane is also a good 18" lower than the garden which, from that side,makes the fence height to around 9', (not counting the 4' or so wall of Ivy growing about it), so when the Contractor started to cut the Ivy back he had to use a ladder. Apart from when I kept him supplied with Mugs of Tea and a hot Meat and Potato Pie, he just kept working on and has done a cracking job, and there is a lot more light let into the extreme end of the garden. The Frogs were booming and croaking away seemingly not bothered as the Contractor kept working, while the Resident Robin kept him company obviously looking for a free meal. He also took away not only the huge pile of Ivy but another big pile of Viburnum, Buddeia, and Conifer pruning's for no extra charge.
                  I've given him the job of taking down the old Arbour and my neighbour. who was impressed by the hard working Contractor, has given him the job of reducing the height of his Conifers along his back fence, which is around the same length as my fence. So the Contractor is coming next week to do both of the jobs on the same day as well as taking away even more piles of pruning's from both gardens.
                  Tomorrow my neighbour and I will be finishing off the job of taking down the last old Lap Larch panel from my East fence and replacing it with 6' long 4" x 2" lengths of timber dropped horizontally between the concrete posts to a height of 6' and then I'll place 3' high wooden frames of slack Chicken Wire to keep my Kit/Cats in the garden and avoid getting them killed by Cars, lost, and keeping them safe. The high fences and slack Chicken Wire also keeps out other Cats.
                  To replace the old Arbour I'll be making a base, from spare leftover 6'X4"x2" Timber, and placing it in the site where the old Arbour used to be and, after asking what the GC Gang thought of a couple of Commercially made Arbours, I've chosen one to order in a couple of months time.

• Like Like x 12
                  • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
                    Ratings:
                    +54,381
                    Watered all the plants in the greenhouse and the 2 big and 1 small cold frames. Still some sorting out, well organisation really, is required in the greenhouse to make room for all the seedlings .

Despite having trouble in the last year or two to get Cleome to germinate....this year ,so far , I managed to get three !!:yes: That was until today:sad: when my knee gave way making me knock a few things off from the bench in the greenhouse...including the tray of Cleomes... I could've cried!!! So very upset. I will look to see if I have anymore seed later, but I don't think I do. I was so determined to get at least a couple of the flowers out into the garden this year. :wallbanging::wallbanging::cry3:

• Friendly Friendly x 9
                    • Like Like x 1
                    • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
                      Ratings:
                      +54,381
                      Sounds like a very busy and productive day @ARMANDII .:)

• Agree Agree x 4
                      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                        +100,838
                        Yes, Upsydaisy, I didn't think I would get so much satisfaction as seeing the back fence at it's original height again:heehee: It's one of those jobs that I kept putting off to do myself because of the size of it, and now I'm not fit enough to tackle it.:doh: To be honest, I would have payed twice the amount that I did to get the job done, but the Contractor stuck to his original quote, so I tried to make up for it with Mugs of Tea and that hot Meat and Potato Pie:dunno::heehee:
                        The garden has got some stray debris in it from the pruning and there's some on the Driveway but I'll get the Blower and large sack out tomorrow and clean it all up........after the East fence has been done..

• Like Like x 7
                        • Friendly Friendly x 2
                        • 2nd_bassoon

2nd_bassoon Super Gardener

Vet
                          Ratings:
                          +1,840
                          The shed arrived today :yay: It somehow managed to be delivered with five walls, so I assume there's someone somewhere else down the delivery line whose shed is turning out to be unexpectedly triangular :doh:I couldn't get hold of the company to let them know this afternoon so that will be a phonecall for the morning.

2021-03-18 15.49.58.jpg

The bits that actually belong to us are stacked up on the lawn for now; plan is to hopefully get them painted this weekend ready to erect next. I'm getting stupidly excited about arranging shelves, tool rack, potting bench etc :redface:

We've also started work on the first of the raised beds for the veg patch. We found what were presumably once the footings for a previous greenhouse when we were clearing the overgrown end of the garden, and rather than put a lot of effort into removing them I figured might as well use them as the foundation for a brick bed instead. It's much too large as a single bed (8ftx6ft) so I'm going to lay some pavers down the middle to divide it in two.

2021-03-16 16.14.10.jpg

Current plan is for three courses of bricks in total but we'll see how it looks at that point!

• Like Like x 12
                          • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
                            +23,862
                            Got bored this afternoon so started work on a small second pond. Got it all dug out and lined with a bit of carpet and the liner is ready to go tomorrow :)

• Like Like x 10
                            • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
                              +8,896
                              Ah you didn't say tea and pies were available @ARMANDII I would of been down there in a jiffy cutting the ivy hedge for free but seen as it been done now :dunno: :)

• Funny Funny x 8
                              • Like Like x 1
                              • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                                Ratings:
                                +11,172
                                Didn't do anything much today as was worried about having another migraine. Managed to survive til 2:30 and thought id be safe so emptied out the old bulb in the pots on the kitchen shelves and replanted them with some succulents.
                                FC758CA4-3334-4B85-B417-F2788D34C37D.jpeg 8E0F0679-F1A5-4E3D-A67A-0110845A11FE.jpeg

• Like Like x 11
                                Thread Status:
                                Not open for further replies.