WHAT ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY 2023

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by wiseowl, Jan 1, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Balc

Balc Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    I haven't done anything either but take pictures of lots of my flowers with raindrops on them!
    Fuchsia 'Garden News'  Raindrops on flowers on balcony 14th July 2023 (Macro).jpg

Petunias with raindrops on balcony railings 14th July 2023 002 (Macro).jpg
    Petunias with raindrops on balcony railings 14th July 2023 001 (Macro).jpg
    Pelargonium 'Bicolor' with raindrops on balcony 14th July 2023 (Macro).jpg
    Pelargonium (Deep pink) with raindrops on balcony 14th July 2023 (Macro).jpg

• Like Like x 9
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +122,492
      I did my dawn slug patrol and stopped at 100. Nasty weather forecast for today so it's indoors work.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
        Ratings:
        +54,381
        Just completed my round of deadheading and also reinforced some original staking and put in new for those plants/ shrubs that looked in need of some..especially on days like today!!

upload_2023-7-15_11-24-16.png

• Like Like x 4
        • shiney

Ratings:
          +122,492
          It has been sunny most of the day with a couple of short cloudburst. We got a lot of weeding done in areas that are more sheltered from the wind but away from the trees. I started picking up broken branches and putting them on the bonfire but that work has become too dangerous. Three inch diameter branches flying around from a height of over 50ft is not something I want to be at the receiving end of!

We went to a church flower festival which was quite good but walking back towards the road a fir tree threw a cone at me and it hit me on the nose and drew blood. Normally that would be considered an act of god but when it happens in a churchyard can it be construed as deliberate? :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 9
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +54,381
            A breezy day with intermittent bursts of sunshine , we've had no more rain today . We had to double stake one of the Buddleias and a large Rose this afternoon. Thankfully the ones I did this morning have held up fine against today's weather..

• Like Like x 2
            • Balc

Balc Total Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +9,684
              My standard Fuchsia has been completely ruined! A second main branch broke off yesterday Now it has just 2 left, one pointing to the right & one pointing to the left! I'm not sure what happened, I think perhaps it was parcially broken before I tried to move it further into the balcony in an effort to avoid what actually happened. The branch was tangled up in the strings that I had put up some weeks ago for the Morning Glories to climb up. But for a day or two the Fuchsia had seemed a little odd, as if it was a little dry, but the day I had given it a good soaking. When I picked up the broken branch I felt the broken end but it seemed rather dry to have been broken off as I tried to move it. I can only imagine that it was parcially broken before I tried to bring it away from the railing & further inside & that it actually broke when I tried to move it

• Informative Informative x 4
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • shiney

Ratings:
                +122,492
                I've been working on pulling out lots of bindweed, a never ending job, and I have just filled a 32litre bucket to the top - with the weeds shoved down hard. It's time for a bit of breakfast and I'll do another bucket full.

Later, when the wind has died down further, I shall start clearing all the tree branches. The bonfire heap is getting pretty high but I can't set light to it until the farmer harvests the field behind us. Then I have to wait for the wind to be in the right direction.

• Informative Informative x 3
                • Like Like x 1
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
                  +8,039
                  Yesterday was interesting weather- wise, we had a very impressive thunder front gracefully gliding over. Seriously heavy downpours alternating with an hour of sunshine, repeat, repeat. It was beautiful :) Weather like this makes me feel very small and insignificant and grateful of the roof. Rather less grateful of the back gutter that gave in but at least the window is clean now.

sataa.jpg

Dodged the downpours and deadheaded everything, enjoying the fresh scent. Cut back a couple of large branches of the Rosemary and had a social media moment, placing them on the bin by the gate with a label. If I were in social media I'm sure I would have had a lot of likes and perhaps an unexpected swap of a plant. Or followers or hashtags or whatever social media is about. :noidea:Now I just had friendly chats with passer bys who were not interested in Rosemary but liked the idea and complemented my sweet peas :).

rosemary1.jpg rosemary2.jpg

This morning I was delighted (and just a bit smug) to see it all gone! :yay: Another look told me that the tail end of the thunder front had arrived with very strong gusts of wind, and the branches had spread all over the place. Replaced them, this time tucking them firmly under the handles. :doh:

Hacked back the Tomato jungle, there's no method to this, I just cut off anything that didn't look like it's going to give us crops or was just in the wrong place. Tied stems up and ate my way through any ripe fruit :)

Sewed some "Free Seeds With Every Issue" miniature Lupin seeds into the pot of Anemones, they should still make some small delights before autumn I hope.

Tidied up alpine and musk strawberries in their pots, eating the ripe ones as I went along. Raspberries are nearly there now and the standard Blackcurrant in a pot looks artful. The fruit are very sour so I donate the crops to the birds.

• Like Like x 7
                  • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +54,381
                    Hubs cut the hedge that runs the whole length of our garden that borders our lane...I swept, raked and collected the cuttings as he cut. Teamwork :biggrin: :dbgrtmb:.
                    It did prove a tad difficult at times ,chasing all the escapees in the strong wind that seems to have made itself at home here.

• Like Like x 6
                    • shiney

Ratings:
                      +122,492
                      I did another 32litre bucket of bindweed. Actually, it was the same bucket but different bindweed. :whistle:

Then spent over two hours clearing up the tree debris from the winds. There is one rahter dangerous branch still hanging from a tree and 3/4 broken through at the trunk. It must be 15ft long and totally out of reach so I have put barriers to stop any visitors walking under it. I have someone coming on Friday with a saw on the end of a long pole.

I've also been cutting back the blackberries. All the new growth has grown at least 10ft and is getting in the way. I cut it back to about 3ft, or less, and the bushes always produce plenty of fruit the following year. It also makes this year's crop much more accessible. We always end up with too many blackberries but friends and the neighbours' kids come picking. They have to be very careful as they bushes are the old-fashioned very prickly ones. They are 70 years old this year. :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 6
                      • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
                        Ratings:
                        +22,579
                        Potted on a few things, tidied a bit in the greenhouse. Spent the rest of the time pulling up weeds mainly dead clumps of grass which come out very easily after yesterdays rain.
                        Finished off with watering in the greenhouse.

• Like Like x 5
                        • Balc

Balc Total Gardener

Retired
                          Ratings:
                          +9,684
                          Good morning all Hope you have a good day today with some decent sunny spells to be able to do some gardening!
                          We are once again forecast a day of sunny intervals & possible showers. Wind will be back down to more normal levels once again. Temps may be a little low for the average time of the year with only 21C expected today.

• Like Like x 1
                          • Informative Informative x 1
                          • Grandma Sue

Grandma Sue Gardener

Retired
                            Ratings:
                            +466
                            Early this morning I was making sure tomatoes were supported correctly after deciding to move them to the patio because of the high winds we have been having.

Now I've been checking /measuring the space the tomatoes are taking up; in view of having a small type of cold frame built about 3 ft away from the patio table and chair?.
                            It will be 5 x 5 x 2.5 ft with a rolled-up fleece to drop down over roof and front (the sides will have the patio doors on the left and a holly bush on the right for protection)
                            Receiving full sun until 5 pm

Does this make sense as there isn't any room anywhere else in the garden?
                            2 photo below, one of plants and a very, very ruff plan of cold frame which I sketch about 4am this morning.
                            Sorry to be asking these questions, but I'm on my own on this project as household members have their interest elsewhere but will still me wanting my tomatoes :spinning: 20230717_095824.jpg
                            20230716_155000.jpg

• Like Like x 5
                            • Balc

Balc Total Gardener

Retired
                              Ratings:
                              +9,684
                              @Grandma Sue I can't really comment on your sketch but it does look feasible! You have some wonderful tomato plants with lots of big tomatoes on them! You are doing very well! :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
                              • Agree Agree x 1
                              • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                                Ratings:
                                +92,116
                                @Grandma Sue , it should work ok protection wise, just make it as big as possible as you dont want to stop the airflow around your plants too much.
                                Your spacing at the moment looks fine.

• Like Like x 1
                                • Agree Agree x 1
                                Thread Status:
                                Not open for further replies.