What are you going to grow "New to you" for 2014

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Spruce, Dec 27, 2013.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,982
    Good luck longk, I've only managed to get this to flower a couple of times and that was long ago, I gave up trying again as the seed I was getting was not true to type.

Have you tried grafting?
    Never managed it myself but they say you stand a better chance.
    It is a tricky one in our climate.

2. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,091
    Interested by the Hardenbergia - have you grown it outdoors before?

3. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,091
    I flowered it rather well a few years ago. I reckoin last year would have been a good year for it, but once again I bought old seed.

How so?

No. It is either Chilterns or Plant World who sell it as a grafting kit (seed for the Swainsona and seed for the root stock plant). I was tempted, but decided to go down the fresh seed route instead. At this rate I'll have plenty of plants to mess about with!

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,982
    Last seed I bought was of some thing that looked very similar until it flowered.
    At that point it was obvious that it was something similar foliage wise but not flower wise.

5. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,091
    Frustrating! Mind you, there are about 80 species of Swainsona, so plenty of opportunity to have someone over!

6. minki

minki Novice Gardener

Research Scientist
    Ratings:
    +367
    I havent grown it myself, but did bit of research before buying.... Hardenbergia violacea "Purple Coral Pea, Native Wisteria" is a vigorous, evergreen, flowering climber/ trailing vine native to eastern Australia with beautiful, racemes of rich violet-purple pea-like flowers during late winter to late spring.
    Ideal for arches and pergolas, loves sun facing walls/fences, can be grown in a pot or containers.
    It grows vigorously in warmer climates but here in the Uk it is better behaved.... I bought it for its fast growing habit as have to cover fences at the back of the garden, I bought a 12 inch plant and its been growing well since september. Very Hardy as it has survived few hard frosts of this season...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 1
    • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,091
      That's interesting! Maybe I've underestimated it.

• minki

minki Novice Gardener

Research Scientist
      Ratings:
      +367
      Definitely shouldnt be underestimated, I planted my Camilia, buddleja and Hardenbergia at the same time.... Hardenbergia is growing neck to neck with the other two :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
      • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
        At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
        Ratings:
        +51,873
        @minki - I have some hollyhock seeds going spare if you would like some?

• Like Like x 1
        • Fat Controller

Public Transport
          Ratings:
          +51,873
          I'm going for a bit of a change up this year - some stuff new to me, others not, and even those that aren't new will be being partnered by things that are.

My trailing nasturtiums for my baskets were a disaster last year (blackfly, caterpillars and goodness knows what else), but I am determined that I am going to have a decent 'trailing' display at the front of the house one way or another, so I am going to give the following a try:

Begonia Inferno in troughs along the flat roof, interspersed with some Dichondra Argentea 'Silver Falls', with Begonia Boliviensis in baskets and window basket below:

P1020820.JPG

Then its onto the front, where I plan to have more Begonia Boliviensis in baskets as well as a Begonia Rose Petticoat to add height to the baskets; the trough behind the wall will either have a couple of dahlias or a couple of the Rose Petticoat Begonias :dunno: and then petunias and dichondra to fill in and add a bit of interest (hope that the dichondra might trail over the wall for me):

P1020816.JPG
          Then at the front door, I am planning on having a Petunia tower to the right of the door, and then have some more Begonia Boliviensis in the small half moon basket above:

P1020817.JPG

Then, I am unsure what to put in the flower pouches on the gate pillars - thinking begonias might be overkill?

P1020819.JPG

Be back in a min with the rear garden.

• Like Like x 5
          • Fat Controller

Public Transport
            Ratings:
            +51,873
            Onto the back, where I am going to have Dahlia XXXL toward the back of my side and back border (grew these in 2012, and they performed well despite the terrible weather), however they sadly perished due to the damp over the winter. In the side border, they will accompany the tree lillies that I planted last year, Dahlia variabilis pompone mixed, Dahlia variabilis giant hybrids, Nicotiana Sylvestris kindly supplied by Loli :), a mixture of bulbs (need to get my finger out and get them ordered) with the lower level frontage taken care of by geraniums, petunia and the odd French Marigold:

P1020804.JPG
            The border on the opposite side (shady), I am going to try Primula Vialii and maybe some heuchera (thinking they will bulk up enough to deter the dog?)

• Like Like x 6
            • minki

minki Novice Gardener

Research Scientist
              Ratings:
              +367
              Lovely pictures... I love the way you have decorated it right now... If I can get half of that this year I will be more than happy :P

Begonias will look great there too... since the gate pillars are bit smaller, How about some phlox, you can match the color scheme with your begonias...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • nFrost

nFrost Head Gardener

Leachate Treatment Plant Manager
                Ratings:
                +2,908
                For me:

Salad leaves
                Houseplants (need these IDing actually)
                Strawberries in a container
                Climbing beans
                More wildflowers
                More nasturtiums

I also need to learn how to fill a border, I just can't figure it.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                +12,668
                Yes, I know what you mean. I keep stuffing more in, and still have bare patches.

I think first up is soil nourishment - so that everything grows well. Lots of manure / compost / whatever. And irrigation. And fertiliser - I've only recently tried Chicken Manure Pellets, but I'm a convert :) It has worked FAR better for me than anything else I have tried. A reasonable amount when planting out (large pinch under plants from, say, 9cm plants and a handful under 2L plants), and then a similar amount around the plant and mixed in. Maybe a second dose around the plant later in the season.

Shelter is important too, so the plants are not struggling to get established.

I have been particularly pleased with how well Persicaria has established, and the decent sized "Mound" it creates in a year (dies down like other perennials in the winter). Red Dragon is the most well know, but lots of other interesting cultivars with intriguing markings.

Heuchra might give you good cover too, although here it doesn't do that well in my heavy soil. Heucheraholics (what a brilliant company name!!) recommended to me to stick with the largest leaf varieties, and I have had good success with seed-sown - the colours are not as spectacular as the named varieties, but the varieties are a bit of a Fashion Bling Statement IMO, and I'm not sure whether, like any such, they aren't a bit over-rated: more fussy to get well established and to then look after.

Euphorbia is a good fill-in around plants more towards the back of the border. Takes a few years (or lots of plants!) but makes a dense patch thereafter. Watch out for the sap as it irritated the skin of many/most people.

Other than that raise plenty of Annuals from seed and stuff them in, whilst waiting for perennials to bulk up, or for your personal ideas to evolve as to what you want, and what ELSE you want to cram in :)

• Like Like x 1
                • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +16,248
                  Always remember big uns at the back , little uns at the front . If you are growing annual bedding plants from seed for the first time , I would suggest Marigolds many many types ( try tenuifolia Starfire , a very short bushy type flowers from June to November ) Salvia , again lots of variety , are quite easy and long flowering as well . If you want some petunias or lobelia in there I would buy these from the garden centres.
                  FC's photo a couple of post up is a lovely border . What have you got in there FC ?