What are your GARDENING plans for 2009 ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Banana Man, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I must admit that I am very fond of improving the ground per se, it is an exercise that makes me feel better, in a sense. And I don't want the horses to be deep in sticky clay all winter, so it serves also my purpose. And finally, it is all knowledge for the future :D. If in a future garden I can get the big furries to help with ground improving, it is all the better for my poor old back bone! :D

2. jimbo1951

jimbo1951 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My plans for 2009 are more to the veg garden I have just got a third green house which I hope to be able to join to one of the others that will cater for flowers only and my first green hous will cater for the salad stuff

3. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    My plans also for my own garden to grow veggies now got a raised bed in back garden and grow and grow more seeds .

Got my seed selection started as will be planting up new borders in some of my clients gardens hopefully weather better next year.

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thumb: My plans are to create a large family veg plot up at the farm.. & a cut flower patch.. Then we will tackle the garden...!!!! At this point in time it is non existant..!! So we are starting from scratch..!! Allot of planning on their part at the moment..!!:scratch::D
    It will be a big project & I will post pics when we start... Trouble is we cannot start yet as other ground works have to be done first...!!:thmb:

5. Harmony Arb

Harmony Arb Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    My plans inc. saving my pennies and planning to turn the cold, damp part of my garden into an ornamental fern and grass garden, with thick woodbark mulch and a few stepping stones. I can see it in my mind's eye and it doesn't look too bad. :D

6. Sar

Sar Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Some great plans, I look forward to seeing everyone's progress :thumb:

My plans are to heal and not break myself again! :lollol: Then I will finally be able to finish the back garden - level the ground, create beds, lay new turf and stepping stones. Then it'll be the side garden, creating my veg plot and tropical style garden with seating area. I also need to paint the garage and hide the recycling bins with something.

The main plan, however, it to get the garden ready to enjoy a bbq or two :)

7. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    My plan is twofold. 1) remove a scraggy old lavender hedge and replace with a raised bed for alpines and herbs (close to kitchen door:thumb:). 2) deal with front garden. At the moment it is given over to cordylines and a yucca, which are lovely, but I want to add to them and also plant a suitable climber(s?) that will stay evergreen and is NOT ivy!

8. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Let`s hope we are all well and able to accomplish what we have set out to do. Ooh the piccies are going to be great.

I am looking for a wine coloured peony too, attached-anyone know of any names?

9. jjdecay

jjdecay Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking of turning my front garden into a vegitable area.
    Spuds,carrots etc.
    Expect a few questions when spring comes :wink:

10. sweetpeas

sweetpeas Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    My plans are :- do the veg patch properly this year
    make more of an effort with my main flower bed which incudes putting in some more perennials and being a bit more realistic with the seed sowing( I just chuck a pile onto it and hope for the best)
    expand the chuck population
    sort out a wild flower area which should help with the veg patch and bug population

Looks like I'm going to be busy

11. gingernutsman

gingernutsman Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi All,
    I am devastated! The local council has informed me that part of my front garden belongs to them and that I have to take down the boundary fence as soon as possible. When I bought my house 2 years ago, the deeds outlined the area to the front of the property as part of the frontage. I went to the local council and told them that I intended to fence off the area and make it into a garden proper. They informed me that as long as I kept the fence to a height not exceeding 1 meter that this would be ok and that I had to keep the fence within the Curtilage?? of the property.
    I erected as much of the fence within a weekend that was physically possible for me, but did not finnish in a weekend. The following week, I recieved a letter from the council informing me that they owned part of the land that was fenced off and I should take the fence down from the area that they owned.
    I went to see the council and was shown an old document that showed the part of the land that was theirs (approx one third). I showed them my deeds and they said that because the person who had claimed the land many years ago had not erected some sort of boundary, then the land returned to the owners ultimus?. I asked what the solution to the problem was and was told that the council would probably sell me the piece they owned for a small unknown sum plus legal fees. I asked the person I was talking to if he could get the ball rolling on the subject and he agreed to do so and I left full of joy and expectation.
    Since then however the local community council have decided that they in their infinit wisdom do not want me to have this piece of ground and last week I was informed by the local council to take the fence down.
    What a bummer, what do you all think about local councils and their petty decisions????
    Ginger

12. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    I think they are dispicable, it just makes my blood boil the way they go about things. They think they are little Gods who enjoy Lording it over us all. Are you going to push it GM, and see if you can get them to change their minds. Shiney's the one you need to speak to he is very knowedgeable about peoples rights. Good Luck!! 02

13. gingernutsman

gingernutsman Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi 02,
    I have been pushing it for 2 years and the legal bill is soaring. They have a legal team and you and I pay for them to fight against us and our lawyers so we are paying double. I am sitting here waiting for the offices to open at 9am (if i'm lucky) so that I can make an appointment to speak to someone. Letters take up to a month to be replied to.

14. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,465
    It sounds as though you are in a very difficult position. I get very annoyed with local authorities that think they should impose rules without taking into account common sense and the feelings of the people in their community.

As you have been fighting it for two years I'm sure you have checked whether what they say about the land returning to them is correct. In England it used to be that as long as you could show that you had taken care of the land for the correct period of time you could then claim it. I did this and then gave it back to them - but that is a long story.

I guess you have already spoken to your local councillor to try and get him/her on your side. I would want to get into a 'friendly' discussion with them to ask why they have changed their minds after so many years and to explain how you would improve the visual aspect of the area. Then, if I was getting nowhere, I would escalate it through the local paper, local radio (if you have one) and then on to the national press. Unfortunately, this takes quite a lot of time and effort.

Good luck :thumb:

15. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    That is AWFUL! Awful. I am so sorry for you and your garden. There is nothing but trouble with properties lately!! Old documents and little clauses are going to kill us all, me thinks. That isno way for people to live when a piece of paper is more important that common sense.

What will THEY do with that piece of land??