What did you have for dinner?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by al n, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,808

Errrrrr.......... No :biggrin:

You can use it as a base for gravy though :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
    • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      This made me :lunapic 130165696578242 5: a lot! You haven't even got started on pasta and rice, good god only foreigners ate those according to my M and D except for some strange reason they were quite happy to go to an Indian restaurant:noidea: but rice cooked at home was a complete no no:rolleyespink:.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +49,808
        Peter Kay did a sketch once - "garlic bread?" "garlic?" ..... "and bread?"....

It really reminded me of my dad - foreign muck he used to call it.

People still have some funny perceptions to this day; whilst I was in hospital, Mrs C was speaking to one of the neighbours about a wee pub that isn't too far away; "You know that is run by Inidans?" was his comment... "Indians....... proper, Indians"......... "I don't drink there because it is run by Indians.." clearly this guy has issues, but it was the last line that really cracked me up when Mrs C told me..... "They do a really nice takeaway curry though..." :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 4
        • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +23,089
          A butcher friend of mine made some marmite flavoured sausages - they trashed a brand new pan :mad:

Nope - moussaka is best! Closely followed by melanzane alla parmigiana.

This was supposed to be Neopolitan pasta (olives, capers and anchovies in a tommie sauce) but when I got the anchovies out of the fridge they had turned. So a mad dash to the CoOp and the only anchovies they had were the ones that had turned so quickly (just two weeks) so I thought mussels. What I the spotted was mussels, squid and prawns reduced to 89 pence. It was good so I'll name this dish Triumph Snatched From The Jaws of Disaster (olives, capers and mixed seafood in a tommie sauce)...............
          DSC_1220.JPG

• Like Like x 2
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,942
            Although both those are good I think that Imam bayildi has the edge on them. Moussaka is a different 'animal' :heehee: completely as it usually has meat in it - and is very tasty. Melanzane I think of as being more towards a main dish (especially when using lots of mozzarella and parmesan). Whereas I classify Imam b. as a fabulous veggie side dish.

All are excellent :dbgrtmb:

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +23,089
            Imam bayildi is good, as are many stuffed aubergine dishes. My Cambodian friends wife does one with coconut, chilli, tamarind and palm sugar that is out of this world.
            But my moussaka is pure feel good loveliness! My melanzane alla parmigiana is only 7/10 at the moment but it is the dish that I look forward to when I pop over to Sicily.

Heathens! Never mozz! I like a smaller serving for lunch with fresh bread.

• shiney

Ratings:
            +118,942
            I don't use mozz as I think it doesn't have much flavour but it's used a lot to give extra bulk to the meal. Mrs Shiney likes mozz :dunno: and I go more for stronger cheeses such as extra strong cheddar or parmesan.

I use tamarind in a number of dishes but don't like the tamarind paste. I use the pulp and squeeze it myself. Much better flavour :blue thumb:

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Fat Controller

Public Transport
              Ratings:
              +49,808
              Fed up with salad, so going to.do a chicken egg fried rice with the leftover chicken

• Like Like x 3
              • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                Ratings:
                +49,808
                Well, the fried rice idea was a belter! Starting with rice boiled, with a vegetable stock cube added, then cooled. Four spring onions, one red pepper all chopped to a smallish dice size, and the leftover chicken cut up into wee bits. Add a good handful of frozen peas and a similar handful of frozen sweetcorn.

A good slug of olive oil into a deep frying pan, get it nice and hot then add everything to the pan. After five mins or so, crush four or five cloves of garlic, then stir through. Then make a well in the middle, beat four eggs in a hug, and whack them into the well in the pan. Mix through the rice etc, and then lastly add a slug of light soy sauce, a slug of dark soy sauce and a slug of toasted sesame oil. Stir through and fry on for a couple of minutes, serve and enjoy!

• Like Like x 1
                • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +23,089
                  FC goes off salad and we go for salad. Fresh lettuce leaves topped with Lidl Morrocan style couscous, olives, tommies, cucumber and pour Ahmeds mega minty yoghurt over it. Then top this with fresh tuna steak, cubes of Wensleydale (I forgot the Feta!!), rocket and salad cress.

• Like Like x 2
                  • shiney

Ratings:
                    +118,942
                    I don't like salad :noidea:.

I made a simple chicken casserole yesterday. Bought a pack of thighs (eight in a pack for £3) from Sainsbury's. Browned them in a pan until the skins were nice and crispy. Put them to one side, cooked some chopped onions and garlic in the same oil, added sliced carrots, chopped celery, and continued to fry for a short time. Then added a tin of peeled plum toms, a big glug of wine, a stock cube, mixed herbs, a chopped chilli (of course :heehee:), chopped French beans and cooked for five minutes, added sliced courgettes and cooked for another five minutes. Then put the chicken back in and added mushrooms and cooked for a further five minutes.

We had that with plain boiled rice.

• Like Like x 2
                    • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                      Ratings:
                      +49,808
                      We had a roast chicken dinner yesterday, and I made the gravy and the yorkshires - even if I do say so myself, the gravy was an absolute triumph..... just as shame that the yorkshires failed miserably, no idea why.

Tonight, we are having leftover chicken (so about half a chicken), and we have decided to do the following:

600ml milk
                      1 onion, studded with cloves
                      3 bay leaves
                      crushed garlic
                      peppercorns
                      1 chicken stock cube

Brought gently to heat in a pan and allowed to gently infuse before being poured through a seive into another pan. Then, I made a roué, slowly added the infused milk, added some garden fresh and chopped sage, thyme and oregano, a little bit of salt, and about half a jar of French mustard - this was then heated gently to thicken.

Meanwhile, the chicken was stripped/shredded; carrot, potato and parsnips were cut into similar size bits, par-boiled in salted water for 5 minutes, then drained. Then a Pyrex roaster was lighly oiled, all the veg and chicken was added and mixed up, the sauce was poured over and then topped with breadcrumbs and parmesan, before being popped into the oven to cook for an hour or so.

And we are having another shot at yorkshires to go on the side.

Smells good at the moment..........

• Like Like x 2
                      • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                        Ratings:
                        +49,808
                        It was a bit, meh to be honest - OK, but only just OK.

• Like Like x 1
                        • Funny Funny x 1
                        • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                          Ratings:
                          +6,097
                          Please don't misunderstand me. Although britain is now vwry much a multicultural populas, how come we brits hhave turned awaty from meat an two veg, and now favour Indian and Tie menus and others. One minute we mighgt be against our imigrants, the next, we are quing up for their meals. Never mind. Stay happy, eat and enjoy life.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                          • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +23,089
                            Uhhmmm, do I really need to explain? The old jokes about British cuisine were true. Don't get me wrong, it's hard to top bread pudding, a sunday roast and a good British banger (if you can find them) when the mood takes but day to day food from other lands tops meat and two veg by a mile. Fifteen minutes sees a cracking freshly made tomato sauce with pasta or gnochi. Other dishes such as lasagna or moussaka (my signature dish) take longer but jeez, what a difference! Asian food tastes fresh and just needs a few basic spices in the cupboard. Proper pizza (homemade) with a good salad is a joy. A bowl of good olives, risotto, paella, a proper freshly cooked naan straight out of the tandoor, proper fresh dates, even egg fried rice - the list is endless.

Never had an issue with immigrants myself.

So last night I made spicy mixed bean wraps.
                            Saute one diced medium onion, add garlic and chilli to taste. Then add one teaspoon of cummin powder, one heaped teaspoon of coriander powder, 1 desert spoon of smoked paprika, a squidge of tomato puree, fennel seeds, 1 medium carrot (grated) 1 tin of kidney beans and one tin of mixed beans (washed), a splash of white wine vinegar, a desert spoon each of black treacle and honey and add a handful of fresh tomatoes. Add some water (half a cup'ish) to cook in and simmer for 30 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated.
                            Spread a good dollop of cream cheese on a tortilla wrap, add some of the bean mix and fresh lettuce, rocket and water cress and roll the wrap.
                            Oh my, stunning! :yes:

• Like Like x 1