1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What did you have for dinner?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by al n, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,414
    @roders my recollection was that the car park was on the opposite side of the road overlooking a lake. That isn't how it appears in the photo. Something must have changed in the meantime.

G.

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,250
    @Jack Sparrow

Seathwaite :blue thumb:.

• Like Like x 1
      Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    • shiney

Ratings:
      +118,250
      @Jack Sparrow

There is another car park where you would have parked and it's opposite the hotel. :blue thumb:

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Loki

Loki Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,092
        IMG_0950.JPG Come on people! Share your meals, I love being nosy :heehee:
        Not a meal, but , a right faff!! Samosas!!!!!
        I've never made them before, but, here they are :snorky:
        Ok, I guess everyone is tucked up in bed, but please keep this thread alive :spinning: everyone needs to eat, and the more ideas the better :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 2
        • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
          Ratings:
          +50,631
          :) We had take away fish and chips last night from our 'local'. She is English, he Portuguese, and they do lovely food. (We need a Yummy character).

• Like Like x 3
          • shiney

Ratings:
            +118,250
            @Loki Have you tried doing samosas with ready made puff pastry (or Filo if you want to risk it :heehee:)? It saves a lot of time and is much lighter. :blue thumb:

Last night I did my own version of Fusion cooking for our guests. :heehee:

For nibbles we had popadoms with cachumbar and mango chutney.

This was followed by a cream of mushroom soup using coconut milk.

Main course was marinated breasts of chicken (one of the few times I use breast) in my own version of Tikka and grilled. They were accompanied by very crispy roast potatoes (because I fancied some :biggrin:), runner beans and Brussel sprouts :rolleyespink:.

Dessert was a medley of fresh fruits (Kiwi berries, blueberries, grapes and strawberries) and a winter berry strudel with a choice of coconut cream or fresh cream.

• Like Like x 4
            • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
              Ratings:
              +6,543
              71286889-C55C-43CD-A2FC-065F8BF7A176.jpeg D92D0977-6BEF-43D3-BE3B-190E00C7F976.jpeg Had this meal yesterday lunchtime and later on did a finger stab and got this reading so happy with that.Home grown Spuds and carrots but the rest is shop bought.The little chicken nuggets were reduced at the supermarket so it was a shame to leave them all alone on the shelf:snorky:

Nice to have fish and chips from a takeaway at times @Victoria and I bet you both enjoyed them.We were talking to a young chap working at our house the other day and he paid £45 for a Chinese takeaway which was for two adults and one child:yikes: as his partner didn’t fancy cooking that night.No wonder she has already had a minor stroke:sad:. He then started telling us about the fact he hadn’t got any money and was hard up,surprise surprise :noidea:

@shiney if I ate half that food you dish up I would be as big as a house :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
                Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
              • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +23,089
                I'm forgetful and so is the forum as I stopped getting notifications for this thread yonks ago!

Samosa are easy! Took two ducks down to my mates tandoori kitchens the other day. A wee while later duck curry and duck somosa got delivered!

Wednesday was simple and quick (15 mins start to finish). In order;
                • put basmati rice in to soak before going to work.
                • in one pan fry off some button mushrooms in garlic rapeseed oil. When done add a few drops of dark soy sauce and roll the mushies around to get an even glaze.
                • next pan fry thin chicken strips, red pepper, fennel seeds, a few tomatoes and green olives in veg oil with ras el hanout and naga paste. Add a little water if required - you're not making a sauce but it'll need to be fluid enough to coat the rice and 'shrooms later.
                • wash/rinse the rice and boil. It take just four minutes as it's been soaking all day.
                • in a third pan 'scramble' a couple of eggs.
                • combine everything in the chicken pan with a handful of fresh coriander and cook for another minute keeping it moving all the time. Serve and enjoy!
                Thursday was corned beef chilli with new potatoes;
                • sautee a diced medium onion. Add salt, sugar and balsamic then
                • add garlic and habenaro chilli.
                • add coriander and cummin powder, smoked paprika, dried oregano, tommy puree and fresh or tinned tomatoes or pasatta.
                • get to a bubble and add mushrooms and chopped celery
                • back to a bubble for five minutes then add a tin of corned beef (diced).
                • simmer for five minutes more then add the kidney beens and red pepper. Simmer for another five or ten minutes.
                Last night was a make it up as you go along triumph!
                • I had defrosted some chicken breast so I cut it into strips and shoved it in a pan with button mushrooms, black olives, diced dried apricot, fennel seeds, black cummin seeds, harissa paste and red pepper paste. Add a little water if it dries out but once again you're not after a sauce. For the last couple of minutes only add some onion segments.
                • Serve in pitta bread with chopped raw cabbage, cucumber, minted yoghurt and crumbled feta.

• Like Like x 2
                • Loki

Loki Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +4,092
                  @longk , loving your duck recipes :lunapic 130165696578242 5: love that you like corned beef too! Have a look at ' corned beef hash ' sorry I can't do links :snorky: a good old fashioned dish, corned beef, onions, potatoes dish. Baked beans are optional :snorky:
                  @shiney , I've never tried puff, actually I've never made them before! It was a trail and error experiment :rolleyespink: I think the dough worked well, I had the temp to low, maybe? I'd definitely try that dough again and experiment :snorky: I have an unreasonable dislike for filo, I really hate the greasyness, those thin little tricksy pieces of nothing :cool:

• Like Like x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • shiney

Ratings:
                    +118,250
                    @Kandy most of what I cooked would have been OK for you (ignoring that you don't like spices :heehee:). Admittedly the roast potatoes had oil (olive) but no more than would have been in your chicken nuggets. The soup was almost no calories at all - just mushrooms, coconut milk and veggie stock granules. The marinade for the chicken breasts had one teaspoon of olive oil for six breasts and most of that came off the chicken as it was just to make the marinade spread easier.

I know you have to be careful with the fruit but you can have the fresh fruit, within reason. The strudel was more of a problem but not too fattening and no sugar used - just Stevia. :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
                    • Agree Agree x 1
                    • Informative Informative x 1
                    • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +23,089
                      @Loki - if you like corned beef try corned beef and lime pickle sandwiches. They are made for each other!

• Like Like x 3
                      • Creative Creative x 1
                      • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
                        Ratings:
                        +6,543
                        @shiney It is nothing to do with not liking spices etc it is the fact that I have what’s known as a Geographic tongue so whereas most people have very small taste buds mine are quiet large and I have a split down the centre of my tongue like an earthquake has hit it so I can’t eat Lemons,Grapefruit,Peppers,Spices,Gooseberries Rhubarb,Vinegar,Coffee that are not sweet and I struggle with Raspberries and Strawberries that have been frozen and then defrosted to the tart stage.:sad:

I had some Lemon peppered chicken breast the other week and managed to eat it until one very tiny piece of pepper hit my taste buds and despite rinsing my mouth out with water my tongue was quiet painful for hours afterwards the same if I eat grapefruit or lemons.It is quiet a nightmare at times and I wish I could eat more flavourings etc but I can’t:sad:

PS,I do eat fruit apart from Bananas as they are quiet sweet and the nurse told me no more than ten grapes at any one sitting:biggrin:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
                      • shiney

Ratings:
                        +118,250
                        @Kandy

I also have Geographic tongue but nothing as bad as you have. I have three main lines (no comments please :heehee:) about an eighth of an inch wide and two inches long, plus a number of small side ones. I'm lucky that I never get any bad effects from acids or spices, except the occasional time when I get some bad mapping across the tongue. Then I keep off the extra hot chillies.

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +23,089
                        That sounds like a problem, there are organisations who can provide help and support :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

Sorry, I couldn't resist- I'll get me coat.......................

• Like Like x 1
                        • Funny Funny x 1
                        • Loki

Loki Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +4,092
                          Yum yum, I had a panini yesterday ( try to avoid bread, but I was starving!!!!)
                          Corned beef, loads of onions and both tomato and brown sauce! Next time lime pickle will be in there !!!
                          Looks like other people have replied since I did, I'll have a look.

• Like Like x 1