1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What is a good price to have a hedge pruned by a professional?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Selleri, Oct 15, 2017.

1. glasgowdan

glasgowdan Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    I totally agree re the privet, and I never ever quote by the hour. It's a way to severely limit your business.

2. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
    Solo, its the area I live in. My companion thought about treating me to a local property to her at just under 1.3 mil which gives you a rough idea of what it’s like local to me.

3. Liz the pot

Ratings:
    +1,259
    Its the cost of living here that dictates the prices paid for work. You should see what plumbers charge round here, it’s a heck of a lot.
    Ive just turned down a job for a big wig for one of the largest if not largest online shops as I’m not interested and they keep hassling me.
    A friend does the cuts on a local estate and its one and a half days per week and that runs in at over £4000 plus vat a month.
    So while the prices look high the cost of living is much higher which reflects trade prices round here.
    Another example is my companion needs a boiler replacement and that’s going to hit around 7k for an unvented system. Adding trv per one is £73 plus vat.
    The prices have pushed locals out which is a shame as there are very few areas with what is affordable housing.

4. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,465
    Interesting thread.

We live in an area that isn't cheap (neighbour's 4 bed place is up for sale at 800k) but nobody round here would pay £50 an hour for garden work. One-offs is a different matter.

£20 per hour for regular gardening is the max here, and plenty who do it cheaper. Small jobs are priced but longer work is per hour.

We have a gardener who does a full day when he comes here. He charges £14 an hour but we usually top it up, give him lunch and multiple cups of tea.

We have a lot of hedging but our privet is about 40 - 50 metres long and 2m high. It's only cut on our side and the top. The hedge is wide enough to only be able to just stretch across the top. It takes about 3 hours to cut (not difficult as it's done three times a year) and clear up. Cuttings either go in the wheelie bins or on the bonfire. So probably costs us no more than £50.

Gardens here are reasonably large so he would get a full days work in each one.

Re other work (not gardening): I have just had some plumbing work done by a company (not an individual) and excellent work. They charge £45 +VAT an hour.

• Like Like x 2
    • Liz the pot

Ratings:
      +1,259
      Shiney going back when I started I think I charged about 15 an hour which I thought was good but now that would mean working all hours to make the bills payable.
      There are a few who run cheap round here, they come and go.
      Ive lived here all my life, same property for 48 years and seen the place change.
      Plumbers here charge 90 plus vat an hour for the run of the mill stuff, my companions cleaners get 20 an hour.
      I do believe many gardeners don’t value themselves correctly, its a trade that requires skill and should be reflected by a fair charge dictated by the area and your running costs.
      I’m cheap compared to some of the local companies that are much larger and they are in and out chaps who do mass cuts a day.
      I met my companion through my garden work, shes very low key, no fancy car, clothing, just a very kind hearted soul. She treats those who work for her to an all paid holiday for them and their families once a year which is almost unheard of now but her family have always been this way. When her uncles gardener retired they purchased a property for him.
      When I first worked for her I remember working the day out and it was a long day and she gave me a £500 tip. I near fell over as its a lot of money to me for a tip so in return as she had mentioned she loves photos of her little dog I went out and spent the money on a camera and printer for her which she uses all the time now.
      She also found out that I was charging nothing to a few customers who had seen sad times and I was visiting one or two who had lost partners and moved to extra care flats when I should be working.
      That’s how we developed into companions in the old world meaning.

• Like Like x 2
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,465
        @Liz the pot I also agree with looking after employees (who all ended up as friends). I paid the best money in the area, helped them with all their domestic and legal problems, helped organise their holidays, weddings etc. and although I have been retired for 17 years I still look after a lot of them. They bring me their problems, we're godparents to their kids, and I even look after the disabled son of one of my staff who died in 1983 (only Friday dealt with the Occupational Therapist and local authority to organise a wet room in his flat). None of my employees aver left me except to raise a family or start their own business. If they started their own business I helped them to get started.

We trained our gardener (he was a young lad who wanted to learn the business) and got him a lot of his customers. He's not capable of running a proper business (dyslexic and has trouble reading and writing etc.) but is a hard worker and likes his work. He has already refused to take more money from us. He does have a back problem - can't get it off the bed! :rolleyespink: :heehee: He was supposed to be here this morning (he doesn't normally start until 10 a.m.) but hasn't arrived yet :doh: - not unusual. Apart from gardening he has been trained in tree work, fencing and paving (by family) and does the work very well. He can't work for anyone because he has trouble with organisation.

I've not known any gardener charge more than £20 per hour for a full day's work in this area and we're in touch with very many people round here. Much more than that and they wouldn't get the work.

Big gardening companies service the businesses and they charge a lot more more.

• Like Like x 2