What is buzzing or flying near you today??

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Marley Farley, Jun 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,193
    T'other half's an American, HB ... do you think it's him masquerading as a butterfly? :D :D :D

Could be the answer why it wasn't in my Borboletas de Portugal nor Eurobutterflies? But what's it doing here? :confused:

PS They are big as well, bearing in mind the Lantana flower is 4cm across.

[ 08. November 2006, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: Lady of Leisure ]

2. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
  3. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,193
    I'm just amazed, HB. The Americam ones don't look like "mine" but the the albino one does (the markings) but "mine" is orange instead of white.

Goodness, must start a reserve for strange and rare wildlife ... so far I have the rare Swallowtail, the rare Red Spotted Toad (or whatever he's called) and now this critter. I think my white butterfly with the black spot and body and wing tips is also not so common!

Definitely have to keep the camera charged and nearby at all times as I've seen other very strange butterflies lately.

Have you looked at the Portuguese site I put above? There are some amazing specimens, also on the Eurobutterflies site. Mind boggling!

Thanks again for identifying.

[ 08. November 2006, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: Lady of Leisure ]

4. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    Just seen this thread LoL, monarchs can be seen in the Canaries and they do occasionally move up to Europe but yes it is unusual. As the North American ones migrate to Mexico I'm not sure where the Canary ones go. You lucky girl what with mantises as well, shall have to pay a visit one day and check the area out. [​IMG]

5. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,193
    Open invitation, Strongy! We haven't even been up into the hills nature spotting and we are only 15 minutes away!

Besides gardening, this is my new "thing" ... critter spotting! :D

6. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,193
    Just had a most bizzare thought ... did it fly Monarch? :D :D :D :rolleyes:

7. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I guess prevailing winds must have a lot to do with it, but even so. Butterflies crossing the Atlantic on such fragile wings [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,193
    Seriously speaking, Hornbean (Monarch excluded :D :D I still want to know!) I thought butterflies had a very short lifespan ... flying across the Atlantic never entered my tiny brain! [​IMG]

9. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I do really think that it is a monarch, LOL. Look at the second link I gave above.

They come down from Canada in vast numbers and settle on forest trees in Mexico. There are so many that they cover the trees like leaves - millions and millions of them. So it would seem that some have spread across the Caribbean and on to the Azores. Perhaps they have bred there and then some come on further to Portugal. Apparently they are also found in Australia

10. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,193
    I find this fascinating!

Have you ever been to the Azores? We went there for our 25th in 1993 and fell in love with the place. Still want to buy there. We were on Faial. I was not into wildlife spotting at that time ..... sad .... shame ...

11. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    No - never been to the Azores but will one day (I reckon it's the remains of the real Atlantis)
    Closest I got was to Madeira. That is a fantastic island, but rapidly being spoiled by too many buildings going up

12. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] Hi LoL, had to go & find this photo. Took it at Hamilton Beech Ontario this Sept.
    [​IMG]

It is definately a Monarch butterfly. I went to the butterfly conservatory while I was there too.. The Monarch is a poisonous butterfly. Animals that eat a Monarch get very sick and vomit (but generally do not die). These animals remember that this brightly-colored butterfly made them very sick and will avoid all Monarchs in the future.

The monarch gets its poison (cardenolide glycosides) when it is a caterpillar, from eating the poisonous milkweed plant (genus Asclepias) while in its larval (caterpillar) stage. Monarchs are found all around the world in sub-tropical to tropical areas. They are found in open habitats including meadows, fields, marshes, and cleared roadsides.Monarchs live through most of the USA, in southern Canada, Central America, most of South America, some Mediterranean countries, the Canary Islands, Australia, Hawaii, Indonesia, and many other Pacific Islands. Some groups of Monarchs migrate for over 2,000 miles during August-October. Females lay their eggs along the migratory route. This migration takes up to three generations of Monarchs to complete.
    Other Monarchs stay in one area their entire lives....! [​IMG]

13. GREENWIZARD

GREENWIZARD Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    beautiful pics [​IMG]
    i'm missing my butterflies :( :(

14. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I was digging away in the border today and came across a bit with some pieces of slate. as I lifted the fork something quite large and brown flew out, I heard it's wings and it was too fast to get a good look of but I think it was a bat! Has anyone heard of bats roosting underground? They normally winter in the roof-tiles or even behind the planks of the house, but I never thought I would dig one up!

15. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.