What is buzzing or flying near you today??

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Marley Farley, Jun 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    a green woodpecker in your garden!! you lucky thing!!! I occasionally see them when out in the peak district, but more often that not only hear them.

2. GREENWIZARD

GREENWIZARD Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  3. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Cool - a green woodpecker in your garden! I love them! Great shot too!

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] :D Beautiful shots Pal.... [​IMG] [​IMG] :D

5. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Super shots Pal.
    Loved the woodpecker - my parents had a semi-tame one that would tap on their kitchen window when it wanted fed. It would take food off my mother's hand.

6. glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    not the clearest photo ever, but one that has brought me great pleasure in being able to 'capture'

[​IMG]

a wild barn owl.

[ 26. February 2007, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: glenw ]

7. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Oh, my, goodness glen, that is a wonderful shot to get..!! How lucky were you..!! [​IMG] I hear them, but have never had the opportunity to see one like that.... Thanks for sharing that.. [​IMG]

8. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,190
    Fantastic, glenw, and look at those eyes! Incredible. woo, you must look at this!

9. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Fantastic GlenW.I have often seen them flying during the day but certainly have never been this close to one.How did you manage to get close enough to take the photo?Were you in a car or bird hide?

10. glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    lady luck was on my side. it was taken at about 2.30am, i had just finished work and was on my way home.i occasionally take my camera to work and this was one of those times.
    it was taken from the car,through an open window, using my canon s3,on 12x zoom with a 1.7x teleconverter as well. i managed to take a few acceptable shots and lots of rubbish ones! It didn't seem too concerned by me, although it did keep moving along the fence. I watched it for over half an hour, it did plenty of hovering and head twisting but i never actually saw it catch anything.
    It seems to frequent the same area at the same time every night, as i've watched it every evening for a week since, although it is getting less photogenic. Its also not there if before 2am or much after 3! obviously a bird of habit!!
    just to add, it was on a very large roundabout on the outskirts of sheffield, probably no more than 4 miles from the city centre.

11. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Worth going to work for then Glen :D Thankyou for explaining how you came to take the photo.I also like the one of your robin for the photo comp.They often seem photogenic...Good Luck in perhaps getting some more fantastic shots [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    your right,almost worth going to work for [​IMG] , but it got even better last night! I was trying to get close enough to the barn owl to take a few more photo's when up popped a little owl!!!! i tried to get a couple of photo's of that but they are terrible :(

its begining to feel like an owl sanctuary, maybe i'll see WOO down ther tonight! :D

13. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] [​IMG] :D You are so lucky to see this glen, very envious.. Hope you are lucky tonight... ;) [​IMG]

14. Hyla arborea

Hyla arborea Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    [​IMG]

Slightly fuzzy piccie, I know - my cheap digicam has only 2.0 megawotsits and a 3x zoom, so this is a small bit of a full frame. You can see one or both of these two snugged up under our barn awning most days. They bred in the bakehouse roof 20 feet from our bedroom window last year, and kept us awake snoring!!! They make lots of noise! [​IMG] Lovely, though.... Downside is the large amount of poo and pellets. Wonder if they'd compost? [​IMG] If we put the floodlights on above the farmyard, we can sometimes watch them flying around.

15. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] [​IMG] That is fantastic Hyla-A!!!! You are so lucky to have them there like that... [​IMG] There used to be a pair in a barn on a nearby derilict farm, but no sign of any at all for the last couple of years... :( Enjoy them,!! Snoring and all...!!!! ;) ;) :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.