What is buzzing or flying near you today??

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Marley Farley, Jun 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    About the "Kitten" Hyla. I kept coming up with UK sites, found a couple of others but no pics. I'll look some more and perhaps we'll find a German cousin! I did find one that looked quite like it with it's white busby but something else was not right, and it belonged to another family too. If I find the link again, I'll send it to you.

2. kryssy

kryssy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I stumbled across this pair of lovers this evening. Don't know what they are but they didn't seem to notice me.

[​IMG]

3. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Aren't they lightning bugs?

4. Hyla arborea

Hyla arborea Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    They're Soldier Beetles, Kryssy - Rhagonycha fulva - (and some would say doin' what soldiers have got a bit of a name for...!)

We used to call them "bloodsuckers" when I was a lad; a monstrous libel as they're actually totally harmless.

5. kryssy

kryssy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I thought that was sailors Hyla??

Thank you for that. You guys - and gals - certainly know your stuff.

6. kryssy

kryssy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I'm confined to quarters for a while so Mother Nature decided to send something in to cheer me up. Don't know what its name is but it was certainly having a good hair day.....

[​IMG]

7. dancing queen

dancing queen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  8. Hyla arborea

Hyla arborea Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Looks like a Garden Tiger Moth caterpillar - often called a "Woolly Bear" for obvious reasons....

Colours are right, and it's found throughout Europe, though the hairs on this one are exceptionally bushy. Wasn't in fancy dress for a 70's night, was it...?

9. kryssy

kryssy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Could well have been Hyla. I put it out in the garden and it rained shortly afterwards. It probably got a bit miffed as it was warm and dry on my wall inside.

Thanks for the reference. I learn a little each day. Now all I have to do is remember it all.

By the way, are you having many butterflies down your way yet? I don't seem to have the numbers usually around this time of year. The Buddliahs are almost completely out but it seems very quiet around them.

10. Hyla arborea

Hyla arborea Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Been an odd year - the Orange Tips - usually the first butterflies, were late but lots of 'em. Then the usual range of species but fewer in number, except for the Common Swallowtails, where there were more. But they like damper conditions, so the weather probably favoured them.
    And hardly any swallows. It's the first time in five summers at least that they haven't nested in the barn. A few less black redstarts, too.
    But the barn owls have nested in the bakehouse again and kept us awake last night talking to each other from the top of the shutters. Huh! AND they made a mess on the bedroom window... So it's not all bad!!!

11. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    We usually have a couple of black redstarts around in oct/nov every year on their way south (some overwinter here) if they pass this way I'll give them your address. ;)

12. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Snapped this little beetle wandering around this morning.Can`t find it in my little book, can anybody ID it please?

[​IMG]

13. Hyla arborea

Hyla arborea Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
  14. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Just had a look at one of my lesser used books. Found Mirid bug and you are quite right Hyla,it is one [​IMG]

Apparently it is unlike other capsid bugs(plant feeders) in that it is part predator. Eats aphids,caterpillars and the eggs of other bugs.

Found throughout Britain.

15. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    That is a handsome chappie Pip, looks quite exotic.

I managed to get a few pics today -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here a poor 7-leggidy fellow -

[​IMG]

Now some ID's please - what are these gooky things? They were both on the same hollyhock and quite near each other. Does the one have anything to do with the other. Also, do they have anything to do with our hollyhocks getting these spots every year? Thanks! Sorry the first one is a bit unclear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.