What is buzzing or flying near you today??

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Marley Farley, Jun 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Thank you roders, Sis, Gogs, Dizi and high kype.

Yes, the bees were arranged nicely around their lunch table this time and were not jostling each other.

roders, lucky you, what a fabulous shot! I've not seen that one before, one of the giant ones I am sure. We have a green giant over our way, think Kandy or Fancy got a super shot of one last year. However did you manage to keep on his tail for so long, do you have wings too? Thanks for sharing!

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Good shot Roders looks like either a female common hawker(aeshna juncea) or a female migrant hawker (aeshna mixta)the bright sulight has paled the colours,it was fancy that took the super shot last year K.

3. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
  4. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,162
    Hey, you're doing real good on the little critter scene ... [​IMG] [​IMG] ... nice pics ... xx

5. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks Sis. I think the second to last one was a horse fly. He flew off before I could get a shot of him from the back. He was on the wild marjaram or oragano.

6. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Nice pics everyone [​IMG] do like the four bees in the courgette flower Kedi.

You have the patience of a saint roders, I don`t even try to snap drogonflies/damselflies due to the fact that they are so frustratingly active.

I snapped this bee coming out from this plant yesterday. I stood for a few minutes watching them go in the front and exit from the side via a conveniently placed opening,the wonder of it all is the fact that plants have evolved to maximise pollenation in such a clever way.

[​IMG]

7. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    A speckledwood butterfly on a Eucomis.
    [​IMG]

8. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,162
    That's a lovely picture, walnut. Strangely, we haven't seen many butterflies.

Can anyone tell me what this little fella is that I rescued from Cal a while ago? Sorry, I'm not very clever with birds.

After calming it down, we threw it into the orchard from the deck ... it flapped it's wings but landed on the ground and then scurried under an orange tree ... hopefully it will survive. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Walnut.Love your Speckledwood on your Euchomis,I wish mine were as far advanced as yours and you live further North than I do :cool:

LoL,It looks like it could be a Juvenile GoldFinch but I will have to have a look in my other bird books when I come back from my bike ride,unless someone identifies it sooner.I do hope the little chap survives,because often the shock of being caught or the injuries from the cats teeth/claws can finish them off.Good luck with him [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    Agree with Kandy, looks like a juv Goldfinch as the aren't any other small birds black and white with a yellow wing bar.

Had a Jersey Tiger Moth in the nursery glasshouse today feeding on marigolds,(as colourful as some butterflies) did I have my camera? No :(

11. Diziblonde

Diziblonde Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Lovely pic Walnut. [​IMG]

LoL, how cute [​IMG] , I hope he was OK, I hate when cats do that to the babies [​IMG]

12. Diziblonde

Diziblonde Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I found this lovely little chap on my fence yesterday

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :D Gosh that takes me back to my childhood Dizi, when we would have competitions to see who could catch the most grasshoppers in a day.. Then we would all let them go at the same time at the end of the day...!! :D :rolleyes: Great fun...!!!!!!! :D

14. Kathy3

Kathy3 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    LOL just said to my hubby only yesterday
    have only seen two butterflies in my garden this year,i thought it was too wet,but that wont be your problem,hope your little bird makes it.

15. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.