What is buzzing or flying near you today??

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Marley Farley, Jun 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diziblonde

Diziblonde Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Walnut and thanks for sharing your childhood with us Marley kids today would do that only if it was a computer game ;)

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,160
    Excellent photos, Dizi, and what good colour.

Certainly isn't the problem here, Kathy3 ... we could use a good rain here. It's overcast at the moment but nothing forecast. :(

3. kryssy

kryssy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Well you were lucky Dizi - I walked into these two little devils this morning in the bathroom !!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We did have a storm early this morning so they may have come in for shelter but they were soon booted out again.

4. Diziblonde

Diziblonde Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh my life, not what you want to share your shower with really, don't they look scary in close up

5. kryssy

kryssy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I actually didn't mind them being there - it's usually like a zoo in our house - but the green thing was looking at me in a funny way when I was in the buff so out he went - It reminded me of my ex-husband !! :D :D :D

6. Diziblonde

Diziblonde Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  7. tiggs&oscar

tiggs&oscar Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've found that living in OZ has left me with the ability to deal with almost anything that crops up in the shower! And I love your green cricket Kryssy.

The exception being cockroaches. They never bothered me too much until one day I nonchalently wandered up to one with a spray and discovered they could fly. After it smacked me on the forehead and then whizzed around my head I discovered words I didn't know existed.

Unfortunately, a couple of years later my boyfriend and I had to have our new rental fumigated because of them and just as we were leaving the house we met our new neighbours. Standing on the veranda chatting the cockroaches suddenly started to come out the open windows and two came for me, one did circuits around my leg - on the skin! The new neighbours then discovered words they didn't know existed whilst I "danced" along the veranda. Boyfriend had to take me to the pub and I refused to go back in the house sober when the chemical bombing was over. I have vague memories of sitting on the sofa with a bottle of Jack Daniels giggling as the cockroaches raced through the air vents in the living room. Apparently, I gave them names and tried to take a photograph to prove that one was cheating on the second last corner shortly before I was put safely to bed.

I'll take crickets any day!

TO

8. Diziblonde

Diziblonde Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for making me laugh so much TO. I too hate cockroaches with a passion and would have had to be at least that drunk to have gone back in that house!!

9. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,160
    Great story, t&o ... and you have good taste in spirits!

10. Keving

Keving Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    saw these 2 today...., not a clue what they are, other than a butterfly and dragonfly !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Diziblonde

Diziblonde Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Well captured keving and arn't they both just breathtaking

12. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Great pics everyone and I do love that green cricket!

What a hilarious story t&o, pity nobody had a camera at hand, that's how it usually is. My dil, who hates and is frightened of cockroaches, had very close meeting with one while on holiday in Florida several years ago. They were all in bed (she, our son and 3 grandsons) when she wondered what was crawling on her chest. Yep, you guessed it - a large cockroach! Well, she screamed and shot up out of the bed quicker than a rocket! The grandsons sometimes still talk about when Mama had a cockroach on her in bed.

Hey, super shot of the dragonfly Keving. I have some taken on Sunday and I think the one of them looks like yours. Perhaps someone can ID if for us?

Emperor Hawker (ID thanks to Walnut)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[ 08. August 2007, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: Kedi-Gato ]

13. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Dragonflies - continued -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These next 2 pics show me making friends with the dragonfly and on one of them he even shakes my hand, or rather finger -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I introduced him to Hubby -

[​IMG]

[ 08. August 2007, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: Kedi-Gato ]

14. Keving

Keving Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Kedi-Gato
    Great pics, we do get large green ones, have not seen any yet this year.

15. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Dragonflies - continued -

this one was a brilliant green colour -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one didn't want to be friends, he kept flying off but then came back and hung on the laundry line like this again. Very odd.

Would like an ID on this one too please!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.