What is buzzing or flying near you today??

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Marley Farley, Jun 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Thank you Bettyboop and Dizi.

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,159
    Love the last two, Sis.

I saw my first Iphiclides podalirius (Scarce Swallowtail) of the year today and go a few not-so-good piccies ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It seems much smaller than the ones last year, which were 8-10cm long, and the tail streamers seem shorter, so being new to this I was wondering if this is a youngster.

3. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    He's a lovely fella Sis, well done. I can't seem to catch any butterflies, but to be honest, haven't seen many around this year.

4. Fonzie

Fonzie Gardener

Transportation
    Ratings:
    +15
    Due to the cornflowers mostly, I have bees and more bees. Oh, and a few hoverflies.

5. Hyla arborea

Hyla arborea Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Well done, LoL - haven't managed to get a shot of one at all this year! They don't grow at all after emerging, though, so the size is more likely set by the conditions the caterpillar grew in.

6. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    No such thing as a bad butterfly picture LOL, well captured.

Apparently these beautiful creatures appear in southern England during the summer. Would love to see one, with a bit of luck they might be resident on Cyprus and I might get to see one when I go in a few weeks.

7. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Wanted: ID please.

No reward as it was already dead! I found it on the patio yesterday afternoon and put it on a leaf to photograph.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Cant help you with that Kedi as all my books are away at the moment.

I snapped this little fella sat on one of my lillies yesterday

[​IMG]

9. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,159
    Morning Sis. Not really sure but could be a Wood White (Leptidia sinapsis) except the hindwings look a bit straggly.

Nice pic, pip ... love the transluscent colour in the wings.

10. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Super pic pip! - and as Sis says, - love the transluscent colour in the wings. [/QB][/quote]

Good morning Sis, although it is almost noon here now, and thanks. The one back wing was damaged when I found it.

11. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Not a wood white LoL it's a moth not a butterfly you can tell with the antenna,the colouring fades when they are dead but it could be one of the riband wave moths.

12. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,159
    Hi, walnut. I couldn't find it in my moths ... don't know about the antenna. This is a new learning curve for me. [​IMG]

13. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    LoL here is a little extract to guide you on your learning curve,The most obvious difference is in the feelers, or antennae. Most butterflies have thin slender filamentous antennae which are club shaped at the end. Moths, on the other hand, often have comb-like or feathery antennae, or filamentous and unclubbed. This distinction is the basis for the earliest taxonomic divisions in the Lepidoptera - the Rhopalocera ("clubbed horn", the butterflies) and the Heterocera ("varied horn", the moths).

There are, however, exceptions to this rule and a few moths (the family Castniidae) have clubbed antennae. Some butterflies, like Pseudopontia paradoxa from the forests of central Africa, lack the clubbed ends. The Hesperiids often have an angle to the tip of the antenna.

There are lots of more subtle differences like wing coupling mechanisms,structure of the body most moth caterpillars spin a silk coccoon before metamorphisis butterflies form an exposed pupa.The list goes on so I will bore you no more.

14. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    [​IMG]

Common White Wave Moth (Cabera pulsaria)..... ID by walnut

[​IMG]

Speckled Wood Butterfly (Pararge aegeria).....ID by walnut

[​IMG]

Froghopper, interesting little insect related to both aphids and cicadas, it's the one you find in cuckoo spit (you don't want to know how they produce that substance called cuckoo spit)they can give the flea a good run for its money with their jumping abilities. (this is my cutie?).....ID and info by walnut

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another one of my friends on the clothesline -

[​IMG]

[ 14. August 2007, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: Kedi-Gato ]

15. kryssy

kryssy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yesterday we were at an outdoor lunch for about a hundred people and this enormous dragonfly kept flying around and perching on people. Most didn't know as it was landing on their backs. Most bizaar - it was obviously attracted by either scent or colours. But, of course, no camera with me . Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Anyway this chap was hurrying across the road this morning, obviously late for work.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.