What is buzzing or flying near you today??

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Marley Farley, Jun 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    It was such a good photo of the Peacock butterfly - why don't you nab the spot and post it in the British Wildlife survey as our first insect pic!!!

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] I must have missed something here CM.. What survey is that then..?? [​IMG]

3. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    http://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=34;t=000347

Be our first insect entry!!! [​IMG]

A little challenge for us to capture as many examples of British Wildlife and post them here on GC ... the thread should explain all. It started off just birds and has evolved to another to include all other wildlife. It should be a few nice condensed galleries for those cold, wet nights.....

Plus we have started a 'rest of the world' section for birds and animals, so any of your Jamaican entires would be fab!!! [​IMG]

4. Kathy3

Kathy3 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    found this little devil in greenhouse yesterday

[​IMG]

5. Kathy3

Kathy3 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    sorry cant see it very well,i think its a wasp

6. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    Sorry, Kathy3, I can't see your wasp very well, either!

I have to give credit to Cookie ... and her Bugman. After "chasing" him for an answer he says he thinks a Carpenter Bee.

I've looked back in my book with bugs and on the net and neither t'other half nor I can 100% agree with it being a bee rather than a beetle. Our critter ... and it's mates ... are all much larger/fatter than described and pictured and are quite irridescent. Also, we can't see any furr "ruffle" on the neck. I'll keep onto this one. [​IMG]

But ... who am I to argue ????? [​IMG]

7. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Yesterday, my son called me into the shed to listen...there was a definite squeeking sound! I know we have mice in there, but we couldn't locate it - until the wind blew, and we realised the sound was a honeysuckle twig brushing against the window!!!

Anyway, as we were standing ther, I spotted a wasp fly in though a wee hole. It was carrying a whole load of fibres, and landed on the ceiling, beside the nest I hadn't previously noticed it had started building.

My son took some pics, and a short video:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jXaBX8ousIU

I stuffed up the hole, and removed the fragile beginnings (did feel bad - but I really don't want a wasps nest in the shed!). Have yet to investigate this morning - I wonder if it's found another way in - or if it's found a more appropriate site to nest?

8. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    I wouldn`t feel bad about ending a nest before it`s started, if it was an established nest then I might n`t feel to pleased with myself.

There is a time and a place for wasps and having them in the shed is neither.

9. Hyla arborea

Hyla arborea Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, LoL!

Just logged on again and found this thread!

Your big bumblebee is indeed a carpenter bee - Xylocopa violacea, to be precise. I've just rescued a rather distressed male one from the kitchen sink.... happily it's recovered and buzzed off. We get lots of them here - probably the commonest bee, in fact. They spend all day examining the oak beams in the barn in the hopes of finding a rotten one!

No English name - they aren't found in the UK - but you could call 'em the Violet Carpenter Bee I should think. Not at all aggressive, fortunately, but they scared the pants off my stepson!!!

10. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    What's this? I have a squadron of them around my Waterfall and I think there may a nest under it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Well ,the Sun has dipped away from the Waterfall now, and the 'swarm' has gone ,but there is certainly a steady coming and going by them from under the mould.

12. Winnie

Winnie Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Looks like some kind of wasp to me. Today I spotted the first of the damsel fly (demoisselle) round the pond - lovely!

13. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    Hummingbird hawk-moth
    [​IMG]

One of these decided to buzz around my head this morning when i was getting on a bus :) seems there early this year...
    pretty big too about 5-7cm:eek: never did like big flying insects

14. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
  15. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Great seeing the humming bird hawk moth K L in 06 we had a couple of sightings up here in the n w some were sighted far north in scotland but that was a very warm summer,I assume you are down in the south.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.