What jobs are we doing in the Garden today 2015

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Phil A, Jan 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    Well, thank goodness no one from your Bible Study group whacked it with a heavy bible then ... you could have bled to death!! :hate-shocked: :thud: :oopss:

I wish it didn't hurt for you too: hope it heals soon :grphg: Oh and get hubby to do the massaging at least once per day to give you a break.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +9,242
      Yikes!! I hadn't thought of that!:yikes:

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        Wish I hadn't either ....

... thought of it put me off my Jammy Dodger! :th scifD36: :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 6
        • Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +3,631
          Oooohhh @Sian in Belgium that does not sound fun hope it heals asap

The whole wacking the ganglion thing is rubbish and should never be done. You need to just rest the area. I had one on my wrist it secondary school and was told it needs to be rested completely so had to write with my left hand for a while.

Now and then it starts to appear again because once you have one there is always a weakness there so i just have to rest my wrist. Luckily or not so luckily mine is always quite painful so i can tell when its developing again cause it aches.

Anyway in the garden today i have dug out a wisteria, planted an akebia quinta, done some weeding, dressed the brug pot with compost and watered everything

I will be picking sweet pea flowers again later and hopefully photographing one of the hanging baskets and planting it up and i hope to finish crocheting the other one so i can do photographs and can plant it up tomorrow :-)

• Like Like x 4
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +31,885
            Interesting that you state it is rubbish when it was done for generations - it must have had some success or people wouldn't have risked breaking their wrist doing it, surely?

• Agree Agree x 2
            • Apple Blossom

Apple Blossom Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +3,028
              Visiting Friends and Master AB all gone home today .....so back to the gardening :hapydancsmil:

• Like Like x 4
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +3,631
                Im just saying what the doctors i know have told me about it that it does nothing and can in some cases make it worse by hitting it. They said its complete rubbish and It is completely not recommended

Here is the NHS take on it.

Will the cyst disappear if I hit it with a heavy object?
                In the past, the tradition was to bash a ganglion with a heavy book to break the cyst open and release its contents. This was a drastic remedy and is no longer recommended.

As a ganglions occurs when the synovial fluid that surrounds a joint or tendon leaks out and collects beneath the skin it would make sense why people use to think by hitting it and pushing the fluid back and breaking itwould solve the problem. Now they drain the cyst instead or remove it with surgery if that is what is needed

Just because something has been done for generations does not mean it necessairly worked well or was a good idea.

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +31,885
                "Drastic remedy" and "not recommended" isn't quite the same thing as "rubbish" and "should never be done" though is it ;)
                It was when there was no NHS, no generous benefit system and most people couldn't afford a Doctor in the first place. The NHS isn't quite 70 years old yet - some people continue to use methods and medicines not "recommended" by the NHS

• Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +3,631
                Obviously the NHS site is PC. The GP laughed when my mum asked if that was the correct thing to do. I have also had the same response from other doctors who have said its complete rubbish and they wish people would stop doing it.

Yes i understand those treatments were pre NHS they were also around when there is less understanding. Look how MS use to be trested for decade before there was more understanding. Like i said and i will stick to just because it was done for years does not mean it was effective or correct.

You only have to look at the current situation with ME and cognative behavioural therapy and Graded exercise therapy. Both of these are pushed by the NHS as effective treatments. GET has proved to been harmful and CBT is proved to be completely useless in treating ME it is only helpful in coping with chronic illness and if the patient has a co-morbid mental health illness but doesnt not treat the illness in any way at all. The more research that is done the clearer things become and the more effective treatmnets can be and the more helpful

We have more understanding of ganglions now than they did back then and therefore know how to correctly treat them.

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +31,885
                Of course, but equally, the devil is in the detail (and an understanding of English) and their use of the term "drastic remedy".
                However, anyone asking a Dr if it is the "correct" thing to do is asking quite a different question :)

Anyway, this is now derailing the thread and we'll be sent to weed the GC nettle field if we carry on.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back on topic:

My final job of the day was to try and rescue a piece of Hosta which the slugs/snails have decimated! All that remains is a piece of root, so I've potted that up in a fresh pot and strung it up high to try and give it half a chance of survival. Time will tell!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
                  +0
                  Hi Sheal,

I think it's a bit of both to be honest.
                  If I go to the "help" page on GC there is a list of smileys but I can't transfer them over onto a comment or post page (I hope that makes sense).

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +53,917
                  That's all as clear as mud to me, I'm still wearing out an old Nokia. :doh::biggrin: I didn't know there was a help page on GC, I've obviously never needed it. :heehee: So, I presume you can't see the same post set up as we do on a computer?

• Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
                  +0
                  Hi Sheal,

:dancy:

• Funny Funny x 3
                  • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +31,885
                    Beware @Sheal ... he's looking like a kid with a new toy :doh:

• Like Like x 1
                    • Agree Agree x 1
                    • Funny Funny x 1
                    • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
                      +0
                      :ThankYou: to "M"

:reindeer:

• Funny Funny x 1
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      Thread Status: