What jobs are we doing in the Garden today 2015

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Phil A, Jan 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hydrogardener

hydrogardener Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,018
    Today I pulled the Walla Walla onions and hung them to dry; then I planted green beans in the space vacated by the onions. I may just have enough time left for one crop.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
    • Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,631
      cut some dead bits out of the honeysuckle down to where there was growth

watered stuff and pinned up trellises

• Like Like x 2
      • mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
        Ratings:
        +6,626
        After my 16 days on holiday in Canada the garden has grown quite a bit. No major casualties apart from a few bedding plants that the 2 sprinklers missed. The pots were left to the missus best friend who is a total non gardener and she did a smashing job. I've paid for a surprise meal for them both! I'll post a few pics when the lawn gets cut I think I'll need a cow not a mower.

• Like Like x 5
        • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Welcome back Mowgley , glad everything's gone ok. Hope you had a good holiday :)

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
            Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
            Ratings:
            +11,493
            nothing major, keeping up with the weeds. have to start some major pruning soon. some have to wait unit winter when I can see how the branches lay out, too much growth, lots of huge flowers.

• Like Like x 2
            • Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +3,631
              Planted lots of cardoons in my mums garden and dug up some grass :-)

• Like Like x 1
              • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                +100,838
                A story first.......last night I was out on the patio with the telescope as the skies were absolutely clear. At just gone midnight I could hear a cat meowing somewhere and knowing that one of my cats [Jenny] was still out somewhere in the garden [when she should have been in the House:nonofinger::cat-kittyandsmiley:] I guessed it was her. I finally tracked the meowing down to the flat roof of my garage which meant dragging a ladder out of the garage, climbing up onto the roof and then trying to catch a cat that didn't seem all that keen to come down:gaah:, all this in the dark:dunno: We both got down the ladder safely and Jenny was put in the House while I carried on star gazing.
                Now most people on GC know that my garden fences are built to keep my cats in [8' high with an extra 2' to 3' of Chicken Wire above it, and other cats out, so that they can roam free in the garden and not get run over or just disappear as some cats, unfortunately, do. So this left me with the question "How did Jenny get out onto the garage roof?" This morning, leaving both cats in the House, I did a patrol of the garden fences and discovered that my neighbour's conifers that he has at the bottom of his garden had pushed the Chicken Wire on my fence down and that was where Jenny had got out. So my job in the garden was to use my Hedge cutters to prune the 12' high conifers back over the fence. I had to get the ladders out to rest between the Shrubs and the fence so that I could climb up and carry out close up pruning with a pair of secateurs and a handsaw. It's not the best of jobs being up on a wobbly ladder, with bits of conifer falling on your head and branches of Shrubs below trying to poke you in other places:hate-shocked:, the Sun feeling really hot and the air humid:dunno: Once the pruning was done it was a case of fixing a fresh roll of Chicken Wire back up again......easier said than done when you're up a wobbly ladder.:lolpt: Once that was done I had to repeat the job on places in the fence where I thought it might need it. When it was all done, I was wet with sweat, covered in bits of conifer, twigs, etc which had also managed to get inside my clothing. A shower was needed to recover!! I have said this before about my cat, Jenny, she's like the Raptor in Jurassic Park which kept testing the fences. I've managed to keep her safely in the garden for just over 5 years but obviously she just doesn't give up:wallbanging::cat-kittyandsmiley: Now I have to wait to see if there's not another place I missed that Jenny [the Raptor Cat].might use to go for a late night wander.:coffee::heehee:

• Like Like x 4
                • Funny Funny x 4
                  Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2015
                • Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
                  Ratings:
                  +7,491
                  Cats eh? Don't you just love 'em! :biggrin:

It's been a lovely sunny day today so I spent a good while outside pottering about. Did masses of dead heading and general tidying up. I've hardly seen any butterflies in the garden this year but today I saw more than I have all summer. :spinning:

• Like Like x 4
                  • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +9,242
                    All I did yesterday was cut the grass, but in temps of 28 degrees, with no breeze, that's one and a half hours of hard graft. It would be better if it looked better afterwards, but not really! So much is brown with the lack of rain, but at least the non-grass seeds won't be able to sow themselves!!

A bit of pottering around in the afternoon, showed me that the gladioli are now out in both beds. The pinks are coming to the end of their flowers - they've done me proud this year. Last year I bought some miniature roses for the fireplace in the lounge. They are now flowering in the patio bed!! I hope the two sets from this year will take the hint... :blue thumb:

Watering the pot herbs this morning, I think we will be picking our first red outdoor tomato later this weekend. I say "red" as we've been picking the yellow pears for weeks, and I've gathered some seeds for next year.
                    Exciting!!:yes:

• Like Like x 4
                    • Billybell

Billybell Gardener

Retired and spending my kids inheritence.
                      Ratings:
                      +532
                      Today I have just rigged up a Heath Robinson cover to keep the rain from my developing Dahlias. These are intended for a local show in a few weeks time. I have been doing the local shows for more years than I can remember but this is my first attempt with Dahlias.
                      The Chrysanths are a couple of weeks behind this time last year. Its a daily task now of seeing which are ready for the bud bags and then ten days later replacing it with a larger bloom bag.

IMG_0314.JPG IMG_0315.JPG

• Like Like x 6
                      • rosebay

rosebay budding naturalistic gardener!

Full Time Person....OK, pensioner!
                        Ratings:
                        +1,162
                        Minimal 'jobs' - hacking back the new arching bramble shoots springing over from next door (she is elderly, has poor eyesight and is not interested in her garden).

Rearranging some potted plants to make the most of the sunlight (and placing the ones past their best to less prominent places).

Bolstered up the sagging lawn meadow - with a long stick (tall grasses and ox eye daisies bent over by wind and due to getting straggly - nearly time for scything).

Since I cannot lift my huge parlour palm outside (to benefit from water-jetting the leaves free of dust), I have watersprayed it until the leaves drip - partially effective.

• Like Like x 6
                          Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
                        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +53,900
                          Today I've spent a couple of hours pruning a 50ft Potentilla hedge and came across this......

IMG_4191.JPG

......a Nursery Web Spider. Not the best of pictures as it was quite windy.

• Like Like x 6
                          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                            Ratings:
                            +122,481
                            It's been a fairly busy week in the garden. We've cut down all the wild area (finished flowering and seeding) and scythed and mowed it. Mowed all the rest of the lawns, dug and weeded a lot of the veg plot, cut back perennials and shrubs that have finished flowering (lots more to go). Put what we can on the compost heaps, the nasties in the wheelie bins (filled four of them) and the rest on the bonfire heap which is now 7ft high and a diameter of 6ft. The field behind has just been harvested but I can't have a bonfire yet as everything is tinder dry.

As well as all that it has been 'fix the greenhouse' week. I'm pleased we didn't have rain for that but it has been difficult in the sweltering sunshine. Our main worry was that the glass would break on removal or replacement (5ft x 2.5ft panes) or the greenhouse would collapse.

After forty years the wood that was retaining the roof glass had started to go rotten :doh: I don't think the word 'started' was really the correct one! :heehee:

P1250517.JPG

The clips that are supposed to hold the glass in place kept falling out and the panes of glass were sliding out of their grooves.
                            P1250523.JPG

The timber batons that held the clips needed replacing and were only held in place at each end by the joint in the timber. Each baton was approx. 5ft long and didn't touch, and wasn't fixed to, any other part of the timber beneath it.

P1250513.JPG

P1250514.JPG

The plan was to remove two panes of glass (necessary because each baton supported two panes), cut the baton to length, cut the joint, insert it into place, replace the glass and fix new retaining clips.

Do things ever work out as planned? Like hell they do!!! :wallbanging:

It turned out that the timber wasn't fixed just by the joints but had steel studs through them and not screws. These made it impossible insert the new batons into the gap where we had broken the batons out. We had to break them (easy, as they were rotten) as there was no way to get the studs out. The breaking out didn't work perfectly on all the joints :sad:
                            P1250521.JPG

P1250529.JPG

P1250520.JPG

The centre bar between the two panes didn't have studs.
                            P1250522.JPG

The first two panes removed. You might just be able to see that the whole greenhouse has warped over the years.
                            P1250516.JPG

P1250519.JPG

P1250518.JPG

• Like Like x 7
                            • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                              Ratings:
                              +122,481
                              As we weren't going to be able fix it with joints we decided to just butt on to the roof struts and screw the baton down to the wood below. :noidea: This saved us a lot of time because we didn't have to make the joints :blue thumb:.

When I refer to 'we' in all this I really mean my friend Eddie. I'm useless at DIY and he was doing all the work. I was just the 'boy' and did what I was told.

Because of the warping we had to insert further slats to make it level enough for us not to stress the glass when we put screwed the clips on.
                              P1250526.JPG

P1250527.JPG

P1250528.JPG

So we now have gaps, need tidying up, but it can't be helped.
                              P1250530.JPG

Finished job.

P1250531.JPG

P1250524.JPG

P1250525.JPG

Gutters now need fixing as they got a bit knocked around :dunno:

The other side of the roof will need doing at some time but access is a bit harder as that side is a full of roses and shrubs that have been there for the forty years. :hate-shocked:

• Like Like x 6
                              • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
                                +5,125
                                Looks like a good solid greenhouse again. The "gaps" will give great vetilation at least ;)

• Like Like x 1
                                Thread Status:
                                Not open for further replies.