What jobs are we doing in the garden today 2016

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +9,242
    Take it easy on yourself @shiney, I worry about all that you are doing. I need a sit-down, just reading it!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +122,482
      • Like Like x 4
      • merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,087
        I've dug up a large Rhodo, two Skimmias, two Hydrangeas and two Camellias which I then took down to the church cemetery where some volunteers are making a garden. They have a five year plan and a lot of space to fill and I've got lots of plants to donate. I'm not at all religious but I do like the idea of those visiting their loved ones gaining some solace from the plants I've donated.

Also re-potted and root pruned a large Rhodo and took another one out of its pot and planted it in the border.

Few more to dig up tomorrow which are going to a colleague.

• Like Like x 7
        • Friendly Friendly x 3
        • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
          Ratings:
          +31,328
          Finishing the waterworks in the larger of the greenhouses and then lots of potting up. :)

• Like Like x 6
          • Ben James

Ben James Gardener

Ratings:
            +223
            Thanks for the tips M! How long after your first application, did you then apply the second coating? I bought a 2L bottle so thankfully have plenty left to use! I just want the majority of the weeds gone! :smile:

• Like Like x 2
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • shiney

Ratings:
              +122,482
              I got the mower going and did another 90 minutes of mowing.

I started on the plastic trellis but found it difficult. Having four hands and thin fingers might have helped more. Trying to hold up 2 metres x 1 metre trellis with one hand, holding the staple in place with the other hand and using the hammer to hammer in the staples with a third hand would make it work much quicker. The fourth hand is for picking up the dropped staples and for being there for the hammer to hit! :doh:

• Like Like x 4
              • Funny Funny x 2
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Tracy_x

Tracy_x Gardener

Ratings:
                +405
                plant out tomatoes and salad leaves 20160507_163705.jpg

• Like Like x 8
                • OxfordNick

OxfordNick Super Gardener

Ratings:
                  +1,615
                  not working nearly as hard as shiney, but starting on getting things sorted this year. Noticed that the woodpecker has decorated my shiney-bean-frame:
                  [​IMG]
                  --
                  Guess that will teach me not to be tardy when refilling his peanut feeder..

• Like Like x 7
                  • Funny Funny x 1
                  • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +31,885
                    I did an application; then two weeks later another application. But, much depends on the weather! For example, if it rains within 48hrs, it might be wise to give it another dose. Likewise, if it is pancake hot for more than a week, a judgement call is needed to decide if it is the drought causing wilting or the weed killer. On the brambles, I have so far made 3 applications and the brute is still giving me the evil eye :th scifD36:
                    In short: play it by ear. One may *look* like it has conquered the issue, but, in my experience, it can take 3/4/5 depending on how bad the issue is. Just keep at it, and eventually you will be King of the Jungle :thumbsup:

OMG!! He's an artist!!!! :hapydancsmil:

• Like Like x 5
                    • Informative Informative x 1
                    • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +9,242
                      Well, a couple of days late, but we have assembled the runner bean frame. Note to self - veg beds ALWAYS need to be bigger than you think! Wondering where I am going to fit the beans, runner beans, courgettes and tomatoes, alongside the broad beans and mangetout that are already in....

Hubby also mowed the lawn, first time he has used the new lawnmower, and only 3rd time (he's saying 5-7 times) he has cut the grass in the nearly 4 years we have lived here. I know, I spoil him! But then he does earn the lolly to pay the mortgage on this place :yes:. (And for the lawnmower, he's just heckled).

Whilst he as cutting jaunty diagonals across the slope, I took out two hollies, three small yew trees, and raised the canopy of one of the golden conifers (it was almost going subterranean, the branches were that low!). Lost count of how many cherry seedlings I pulled out! Also tied in one of our nest-boxes, which is a rubberised clamp-on thing. Probably won't be used by birds this summer, but will be ready for overwintering tits.
                      ."snow dig"

I was hoping the broad beans would be ready to come out when the courgettes needed to go in, but they are only 8" high, and haven't flowered yet. Is that late for broad beans?

• Like Like x 6
                      • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                        Ratings:
                        +31,328
                        Got the potting up done. Loaded my dodge carrier with plants for #1 son to take. Did not get to the waterworks but did make new covers for the patio furniture cushions. Nice bright sunbrella fabric. :)

• Like Like x 5
                        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                          +100,838
                          I checked the pond pump for the first time this year and on putting on the power found it wasn't working. So I put on the Chest Waders again and went into the pond and, as I suspected, the pump had fallen off the stone block in the water. When I pulled it up to the surface I found it was clogged up with mud and debris so I gave it a good wash in the pond and put it back into the original position. All the while I was doing this a couple of Frogs were sitting on the surface weed inches away from me watching me!!:heehee: So I climbed out of the pond and on switching on then power the pump was working just fine with a stream of water pouring out of the clay jug onto the flat rocks to make a water fall. There's nothing better than sitting by the pool with a mug of tea/glass of wine listening to the splash of water from the waterfall.:snorky: Then I got the net and pole out to skim the surface of the pond from all the floating debris from yesterdays clean out. After that I mowed and strimmed the front lawns, the rear lawn, and my next door neighbour's front lawn, potted up 10 Hybrid Hellebores that had arrived today from Hayloft.........really nice, strong plants. Then, just before the rain arrived:doh::wallbanging:, I got the hose out and watered all the pots and then all the borders.!!!:heehee:.

• Like Like x 7
                          • Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
                            Ratings:
                            +19,315
                            I transplanted some hardy Fuchsias into a new little patch that I'd tidied, so that they might look pretty all together :smile:

101_6892.jpg

I also pruned my Ilex Golden King - it had gone to look scruffy and lopsided.
                            I won't get any berries on it next winter but I don't mind, because after it regrows it will be a better shape ...

101_6909.jpg

Then I cut back an 8 ft tall Fuchsia (Lechlade Magician)
                            Here's before :-

101_6917.jpg

Here's after :-

101_6918.jpg

• Like Like x 10
                            • shiney

Ratings:
                              +122,482
                              I finally managed to put up the plastic trellis in the front garden and shall be putting up the trellis in the back garden by the new flower bed. Then I shall plant up the bed. :blue thumb:

Then I shall start the long job of putting up the canes for the ShineyFrames. Although the end posts and wires are permanent the canes are stored every autumn as the area needs digging. Making sure that over 100 canes are firmly in place is quite difficult with having a bad back. :noidea: Then there's all the tying in and overhead weaving to do. I don't expect to get that all done in one day.

I've also got to thinks of how to protect them from the rabbits. :scratch:

• Like Like x 6
                              • toppington

toppington Tiny garden, always on the cheap!

Ratings:
                                +1,179
                                Weeding, weeding weeding. Weeds everywhere. Weeds in the beds, weeds in the grass and weeds in the patio! I found about 200 small thistle plants growing in the lawn (after having been hurt by one whilst weeding in the beds!) so made it my mission to get rid of them all. It's only a small patch of lawn but there were loads in it. Now it's a bit holey...

• Like Like x 5