What jobs are we doing in the garden today 2016

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Villaverde123

Villaverde123 Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Mainly weeding... as it rained steadily yesterday it will be easier. Then on to mulch where I have weeded.

• Like Like x 4
    • leeski

leeski Gardener

Head chef
      Ratings:
      +193
      Rain has finally stopped have just moved into a new house and inherited a compost bin at the very bottom it looks like shop brought compost should I empty it completely and start a fresh or just keep adding to it from the top?
      Any advise would be great

• Like Like x 4
      • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +9,242
        Hi @leeski.
        I take it the type of compost bin you are describing, you add to the top, and take out the "finished product" from the bottom? In which case, I would assume that the people before you knew what they were doing, compost wise. Keep adding to the top, and take out from the bottom as required / needed to make room at the top. If the stuff at the top of the bin looks quite old/dry, you may need to give it a bit of a stir/water from the top access point. It all depends on how recently it has been added to...!

Quick edit having seen your other post...
        I'm no expert in knotweed eradication, but remember, if you are in doubt about any weed you have pulled up (is it knotweed, bindweed, couch grass?) do not put it in your compost bin!!

• Like Like x 2
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +31,885
          Not an awful lot but the slugs and snails have been extremely busy out there!! :doh:
          I'm surprised they could still move after their feasting :th scifD36:
          It was the same story over on the fields, snails and slugs every where - I don't stand a chance do I :redface:

Thanks to the mini heat wave, and the cool down again showers, the plants are really zipping up their desire to grow and bloom - as too are the weeds. Why don't the slugs and snails eat those? :scratch: :dunno:
          :sign0016: to GC @Villaverde123 :)

• Agree Agree x 3
          • Like Like x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • NCFCcrazy

NCFCcrazy Super Gardener

Bored office monkey
            Ratings:
            +1,051
            Agreed, there are loads about at the moment, the past 2 mild winters haven't helped much. I try to protect my plants by natural means, but, I admit, I did resort to putting pellets down last week as there were loads on the march!

• Like Like x 5
            • Sian in Belgium

Ratings:
              +9,242
              This morning I just dug up some of the lambs ears that have been lurking in the herb bed. Hubby had been muttering about them. Fortunately, I have a home for them in the church gardens.:)
              Then, after planting them in their new home, it was a case of removing the apple mint from the lavender path edge in the herb bed - over 3' from their Containment Pot...:scratch:.
              I've put the removed stems in a pot, as someone at church was saying that mint was their favourite plant. If they really want me to let it loose there....:lolpt:.
              Of course, doing that meant I spotted a trug-full of weeds springing up in the herb bed. Just had time to pull them out, make some preserved mint from the mint-tips, and wash the cars, before my evening appointment (well, the cars ARE in the garden:heehee:, and I sat on the patio to chop the mint)

• Like Like x 6
              • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                +0

Welcome to Gardeners Corner :sign0016:

Today, I ave been mostly weeding.

DSCI0447.JPG

• Like Like x 8
                • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
                  +10,302
                  Finished levelling this border and planted it up moved a few conifers in this area and put some sunflowers in, after tea mowed the lawn.
                  IMG_0894.JPG

• Like Like x 7
                  • Trunky

Trunky ...who nose about gardening

Professional Gardener (retired)
                    Ratings:
                    +10,740
                    :phew: I'm shattered.

I had the electrician round today, to connect up an electricity supply to the greenhouse. I'd decided I preferred the cable to go underground, so it meant digging out a trench half a metre deep and about 20 yards long, right through the lawn from the garage to the greenhouse.

Once the cable was laid and everything was connected, there was only the small matter of backfilling the trench, re-laying the turf and giving it a thorough soaking to make sure it re-establishes properly.

I have to say I'm quite pleased with the end result though, it didn't look too bad once I'd completed the reinstatement. :)

Before. 11-30am, trench dug out ready to receive cable.

DSC08511 - Copy.JPG

After. 6pm, all filled in and re-turfed.

DSC08512 - Copy.JPG

I even managed to fit in a bit of housework too while the cable was being laid and connected. Think I'll have an early night tonight. :snooze:

• Like Like x 10
                    • CharlieBot

CharlieBot Super Gardener

Ratings:
                      +2,523
                      Whoa @Trunky that is impressive! Top job! I'd love electricity in my greenhouse, though the street light above it kicks out enough so you don't trip over anything.

• Like Like x 2
                      • Friendly Friendly x 2
                      • JackJJW

JackJJW Super Gardener

Community and Content Director
                        Ratings:
                        +1,559
                        I try to be organic but not with slugs and snails. Although I do use the pellets that have the organic stamp in the blue packet.

Tonight I have been digging out the tulips from the bed. I don't think I'll be doing that again! What a palaver trying to get the bulbs out around all the growing plants. Tulips only in pots next year.

Everything is growing super quick now. It's bonkers! Lots of snails and slugs about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
                        • Agree Agree x 3
                        • Super Lucyjin

Super Lucyjin dinnae fash yersel

Ratings:
                          +353
                          Didn't get up to much today as I was busy with other things, but I did manage to buy a roll of wire twine to gently train the sweet peas towards the trellis! They're getting big enough to grow feelers now and are trying their best, but they keep missing the mark, gawd bless 'em :snork:

• Like Like x 2
                          • Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
                            +10,302
                            Nice work Trunky, no power in my greenhouse but the garden lights do a good job, I took the easy route round the fence.
                            IMG_0906.JPG

• Like Like x 6
                            • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                              Ratings:
                              +122,480
                              We have loads of lambs ears and the kids that come to visit the garden love them. If I notice the kids near them I pick a leaf and give it to them. If the parents are nearby I ask them if they would like a piece potted up. :blue thumb:

Good job there, Zigs. I hope you dug over your footprints afterwards ;)

Brilliant job :yay:. Where are the muddy footprints :scratch: :heehee:

We've been busy getting further and further behind sorting the garden for Open Day. :doh: We've been repointing some of the patio (rain stopped play yesterday) but it will take until the end of the year to finish it. :sad:

I finally got the new hose reel holder and had fun and games putting it together. Somehow I have five pieces left over :scratch: - Aha! :ideaIPB: They're the bits for attaching the hose (not supplied) to all the other bits - and to the tap. They've gone into my box of spares. The main two parts, the reel holder, needed pushing together very hard (little diagram shows it being put on the ground and pushing down with your whole body) but that didn't work as I could only get them partially together. Fortunately Michael was here working on the patio. Even he, a really tough 25 year old, had a struggle. Then came the fun and games of trying to attach the hose. That bit was easy but tightening the connector wasn't. It's inside the hose reel holder with not enough room to get a hand in properly and no room to get a spanner in. Did it eventually :dbgrtmb:

We've been weeding just a bit slower than they've been growing :doh:. Repotted a couple of dozen chillies, sown more beans, continued repotting plants for sale, planted out cobea scandens along the fence and I need to cut some more plastic trellis to help them get up to the full trellis on the fence and morning glory will be going out today, if there's time.
                              Finished planting out, for now, the new bed and got all the canes in for the ShineyFrames.

I've got orders for 40lb of rhubarb so shall have to get started on that. It's not a job that I look forward to because it's not good for my back. It also leaves me with a few barrow loads of leaves!

I had a bonfire in the rain as the smoke would not disturb anyone in their gardens. Nasty neighbour still had a moan (from behind the fence :heehee:) which was totally ignored.

• Like Like x 5
                              • Funny Funny x 1
                              • Friendly Friendly x 1
                              • Sian in Belgium

Ratings:
                                +9,242
                                I used to love them as a child, which is why we have some, from my parents garden. I've put them along the edge, where the toddlers at church love to run. I'm looking forward to seeing the children stroking the leaves, and will also encourage handling, once the plants are well established. Only thing is, it is not full sun, so they might sulk a little, before getting going...
                                Oh, that reminds me, I have some photos for the identification area to ask about. Memory of a sieve, me!

• Like Like x 3