1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

WHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY - 2017

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Jan 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Sounds perfect durnovaria :)

2. Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
    Ratings:
    +10,944
    I'm coming back to Cornwall!

Can you guess where this is
    @Verdun
    IMG_1678.JPG

• Like Like x 2
    • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,414
      My roses are still going strong. Even the spindly looking ones are beefing themselves up. I did remove a lot of ground cover plants. Perhaps that has given them a new lease of life.

G.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Mother Nature's Garden Apprentice
        Ratings:
        +6,133
        You also mentioned you've been busy applying liquid feed to the borders, so that would give them a boost too :)..and there going to love that manure - once it's rotted down @Jack Sparrow ;)

• Like Like x 1
        • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,414
          I have a compost bin on the way so soon I will be able to collect my grass cuttings etc and make my own. Can I not plant my bulbs (that I haven't got round to buying yet) and leave the fresh manure on the top to rot down at its own leisure? I have plenty of bark too that I can add if needed.

G.

• Like Like x 3
          • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +6,133
            Great news on the compost bin :blue thumb: - I would still be inclined not to place raw compost on any growing plant -The ammonia leaching into the soil im sure will not do the bulbs any favour :redface:
            For the time being you could add bought compost and mix into the manure then put that in a pile somewhere out of sight or as i do when i lift Turfs of grass i place them in used compost bags and leave somewhere out of sight to break down - i save myself a good bit of money as i use this soil mixed with bought compost for filling of pots. The winter will break that manure down quite quickly, you can as you said over the beds that are empty at the moment, put the lions share there- that way the air and frost will accelerate the breaking down even faster - but as i said earlier manure does have a high seed content so heat from the compost bin is the best to sterilise the weed seed :) If you're at all concerned over your soils lack of nourishment in the meantime just add Fish Blood and Bone and don't forget the plants won't need too heavy nourishment whilst their in Winter dormancy- but will appreciate it when their stirring and starting their blooming:spinning:Experience has taught me the best solution all round is to only purchase "Well Rotted" manure, to save yourself the complication of storing and waiting....but aren't we all clever in hindsight - i know i am Oh yes:heehee:

• Like Like x 3
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
              Ratings:
              +6,899
              Rained hard earlier, which prevented me from shovelling more gravel from my ( hopefully ) new flower bed outside back door as the area had turned into a mini pond :hate-shocked: :snorky:
              Too wet to do much else and very little inclination anyway. Coffee and chocolate cakes on the patio went down rather well :heehee:.

The white Scabious plug plants I bought online are not looking too happy. Only one has obvious sign of new growth, rest look ready to give up without a fight. Not sure why as they looked healthy upon arrival and I have looked after them. However, all my Fuchsia cuttings appear to have taken, sprouting new growth and I am having to continually pinch out tiny flower buds. Very pleased as I did not follow the recommended advice for taking the cuttings. I just stuck them in a pot of cheap compost on a warm windowsill and kept them hydrated.

• Like Like x 2
              • Informative Informative x 2
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                Ratings:
                +10,944
                • Like Like x 2
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +6,133
                  • Funny Funny x 2
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                    Ratings:
                    +31,856
                    Should be ok Woo :dbgrtmb: I've moved lots of mature field hedges with digger to straighten up boundrys in summer time with just a few dieing which may have been down to me damaging some of the roots

• Like Like x 4
                    • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                      Ratings:
                      +10,944
                      Ooh huge carrot!!! Lol

IMG_1784.JPG

• Like Like x 8
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +31,885
                        Spent a good few hours in the garden today tidying up some bits and bobs and finally getting around to planting the packets of bulbs (bought a couple of weeks ago) into a border: daffodils (pretty white varieties in a mixed bag), some Dutch Iris - 5 blue, 5 yellow, fritillaria uva-vulpis and another type of bulb I've forgotten the name of :doh: :redface:

All Tumbling Toms have been pulled up (after harvesting the last of the most promising fruits) and given to the hens to play with. :chicken:

Sprinkled a packet of pale blue Love-In-A-Mist in another border and planted out some Evening Primrose (self seeded) seedlings in the area I've planted the Dutch Irises.

All plants/seeds from El Cheapo Shops :thumbsup: I've had bulbs "disappear" in previous years and I think that may be due to mice so I won't buy premium bulbs anymore. Not had bad results from El Cheapo shops so it is worth the small investment for, hopefully, a good return.

Took a look at the pot with pieces of Choisya "Aztec Pearl" cuttings - well, off cuts from the Chelsea Chop really :redface: - and ... two out of the three have rooted!! :yahoo: None of your fancy "cut here", special mix of compost or poly bag nonsense ... just: oh! :scratch: Maybe I could stick a bit in a pot and see what happens? Love it when things turn out that way ... so, for future reference everyone: "Aztec Pearl" is dead easy to grow from clippings :thumbsup:

@Snorky85 Bravo on a good show! :yay: You have a wonderful garden and I was thrilled to watch you last night on last Friday's GW. I do recall your descriptions of that day and, yes, it was a long day for a relatively short TV piece but by Jove it was great air time :thumbsup:
                        Did anyone else watching it also have a smug "I know her" look on their face when they watched it? :heehee: Well, I did! :lunapic 130165696578242 5:
                        You were in such great company throughout the whole programme too! Yes, that gentleman of 97 years old was a pleasure to watch and listen to and his passion was unmistakeable. I also enjoyed (enormously) that piece with the "small patio" garden! Totally inspirational :love30:

• Like Like x 4
                        • Funny Funny x 1
                        • Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                          +100,836
                          Don't plant them edge up, jim, as they'll never grow upwards.:dunno::whistle::heehee:

• Funny Funny x 6
                          • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                            Ratings:
                            +10,944
                            Aww thanks @"M" ha ha yes I remember messaging you that day about it! Gosh I'm glad that is in the past-was funny watching it-I came across a right nerd :rofllol:

That 97yr old chap was lovely bless him, and that other garden was fantastic!

Been out planting bulbs too-planted the tete a tete and muscari combos and put the orange/purple winter pansies in.

IMG_1786.JPG

Weeded all down the shady border and planted the two reduced price bergenia.

Enjoyed being out in the garden again today. I can tell it's been a few weeks where I've not done much-my legs and back are aching! Feels good to be outside! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 4
                            • Friendly Friendly x 2
                            • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
                              +17,487
                              Beautiful day :SUNsmile:
                              Lawns cut, edges trimmed, aeonium cuttings taken, evergreens trimmed to shape.....some are pretty big and will look good now for the winter. Enjoy the physicallity of it too :)
                              Divided aster Frik Floras Delight and Monch lookalike Wunder von Stafa (bit shorter and bluer flowers I think) and potted up some roots of Rudbeckia. Divided geranium Elke :)

• Like Like x 6
                              Thread Status:
                              Not open for further replies.