WHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY - 2017

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Jan 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,837
    They definitely do help, Sheal:snorky:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +90,043
      Good morning to day I have some bricklaying to do,just to finish off a garden wall and some more making good to do :smile:

P1230725.JPG

• Like Like x 8
      • luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
        Ratings:
        +6,899
        I could certainly do with something to make me smile at the moment. Did you plan the garden's design yourself or take inspiration from somewhere else.? I'm guessing its taken awhile to achieve the ' finished product ' though? Although I understand some gardeners never consider their gardens to be finished but always a work in progress.

I've tried raised ponds, ie, in a preformed container not sunk into the ground. The last one, which I bought when we moved here, is now a raised bed on the patio:dunno:. I've also tried using a large Belfast sink, without any success. I have seen Frogs and Toads in my garden, it would nice for them to have a home here. Two or three years ago I left a black bag in the garden. It had rained overnight and the following morning I discovered a Toad sitting in a puddle that had formed on the bag:). A couple of summers ago I opened the back door and almost stepped on a bunch of baby frogs sitting on the doormat:)

My garden is still a blank canvas. I wish I could transport your garden into my front garden.:)

• Like Like x 2
        • Friendly Friendly x 2
        • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +31,885
          :wow: Loving the look woo!! :love30:

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +31,885
            Today I have planted some snowdrops, tied in some stems of a clematis over the arbor, planted some lily of the valley (from a cheap shop, bought last week), let the girls out ( :yes: :chicken: ) begun weed picking and noticed the flowering currant is forming flower buds (only bought it last year from the village garden sale).

• Like Like x 6
            • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
              Ratings:
              +6,543
              We have had some rain this morning so was only able to get out into the front garden just before lunch to plant out a couple of the plants we got yesterday from the garden centre after our day out over the the RSPB headquarters over at Sandy.It was lovely walking round there in the sun,and we felt like we needed a day out after all the work we have been doing since the New Year over at my late father in laws garage which we are trying to clear:sad:

Our back lawn is just to slippery to walk across with all the rain we have had lately and the garden lawn is starting to look like a quagmire:mad:

• Like Like x 5
              • Friendly Friendly x 2
              • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
                Ratings:
                +90,043
                Good afternoon @"M" and many thanks for your kind words,all I have to do now is fill it up with trees and plants,it looks empty although the new Hawthorn hedge has 100.s of little leaves on it ;)

• Like Like x 5
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
                  Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
                  Ratings:
                  +10,735
                  :snow:

• Like Like x 3
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +31,885
                    Popped some peas into a couple of pots - will plant some more in a couple of weeks.

• Like Like x 5
                    • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                      Ratings:
                      +11,014
                      Finally found time to get out in the garden today. Been up to my lotty and planted 6 autumn rasp canes and 6 summer rasp canes. Sown a few spring onion seeds, some small carrots and some mangetout shiraz. Also cleared a raised bed in my neighbours unused lotty, dug over, weeded and scatted some green manure over it. Planted 12 crocosmia montbretia blubs in the front garden. Time for a brew.:coffee:

• Like Like x 9
                      • Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
                        +599
                        Wondering how lesser celandine (Ranunculus ficaria) seems to be overtaking the countryside (and customers' gardens) around here as it rarely produces seeds, just bubils! :dunno:

• Like Like x 2
                        • Agree Agree x 2
                        • Informative Informative x 1
                        • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
                          Ratings:
                          +6,543
                          Hi @Mowerman we bought from the garden centre a few years ago a lesser Celandine and although it looks nice in flower mine seems to be spreading round the borders so I might have to cull it in future,but I know what you mean i have never seen seed pods on mine.I also have a double variety which is staying put further on down the garden,but then again a lot of double flowered plants never set seed as the bees can't get to them to pollinate the flowers:sad:

My rampant garden plant is the Three Cornered Leek (Allium Triquetrum) and it is taking over both my front and back garden despite me only ever planting it in the back garden and taking off every flower bud I see.It is now coming up through the leaves of bulbs that I want to keep so I am going to have to dig up the whole lot and gently wheedle out the offending bulbs.I can easily identify them as the leaves are tri shaped hence their name and the bulb has a strong oniony smell...:yikes:

• Like Like x 6
                          • Friendly Friendly x 1
                            Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
                          • Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
                            +599
                            i
                            It's incredibly irresponsible for garden centres to sell lesser Celandine. It is an absolute thug of a weed. Sure it's rather short in stature, rather unimposing and quite pretty when it flowers; a sure sign of spring, but what goes underneath the ground is another story.

It usually creates bubils that drop onto the soil after the flowers have faded but underneath, it seems to create even more bubils. It quickly vanishes back into the earth late Spring, not to be seen again until next spring. That's its secret weapon:

Once soil is cultivated or disturbed, the subsoil bubils break off and you have 4-5x more Celandine plants dispersed all over the place. For each subsequent year, the potential is astonishing.

I have a customer whose borders are literally a carpet of the stuff and weedkiller is out of the question as she has a dog and doesn't want weedkiller used, so it's a case of weekly hoeing down the growth. Digging it up just leads to more problems.

This definitely features in my top 5 worst weeds.

• Informative Informative x 4
                            • Agree Agree x 1
                            • Friendly Friendly x 1
                            • rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
                              +2,946
                              Started work on my new greenhouse staging. Hopefully get it finished tomorrow. I will post some pictures tomorrow.

Rusty

• Like Like x 9
                              • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                                +100,837
                                Oh, that is a question, lucius. The garden before 2001 was a really nice garden with basically most of the fringe borders planted with the shrubs that are there now. But the garden, as it is now, was borne out of Disaster and Dark Days when I lost my Wife to Motor Neuron Disease in April 2001. She was the real gardener then, with knowledge, brains, and an artist's eye for colour and design. Anyway, the garden became abandoned for two years while I traveled in a nightmare over my loss. Then one day, I looked out on the garden and realised that my Wife would have given me a severe ticking off over the state of it.
                                The now "walk around border" of around 22' by 80' was before 2001 a vegetable plot and, because of the 2 years of abandonment, covered in Couch Grass and the other parts were looking really overgrown. So I took two weeks off in the Summer of 2003, dug the veg plot into clods and sat in the soil and sunshine breaking them down with a heavy hammer to extract the grass. After that, I sorted the rest of the garden without any real idea of what to do. So I started buying plants thinking of what my Wife would have liked and that's how it started.:dunno:
                                So over the years I've bought thousands of bulbs and planted about 4 layers into the borders, decided to buy hundreds of hardy perennials as the main structures in the borders, with several roses as focal points. It now has over 140 Clematis, around 15/16 different Peonies, over 35 climbing and shrub roses, different kinds of shrubs, etc planted into areas that push the rules, while I also tend to plant in multiples such as Perennial Poppies in threes, Clematis on the Trellis Entrance planted close together with around 30 either side, etc:dunno: The wildlife pond had been dug and planted in '93 and had run itself until I found time to give it attention. My Wife and I always wanted a Cottage Style garden and so that is how, gradually, over the years since 2003 the garden has evolved. Buying and planting the hardy perennials, some roses and shrubs has been a real "medicine" and helped me refocus again. I tend to buy things that I like on sight and then wonder where to plant
                                them! It's a deliberately over planted garden with no bare soil showing during the Summer and is very easy to maintain as Hardy Perennials show shoots, grow, flower, and then retreat back into the soil for the Winter, and all I do is remover the debris. So the garden is something that when I walk out into it, sit somewhere, or am planting something that reminds me of good memories, whilst also giving me great enjoyment, peace and satisfaction.:snorky:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
                                • Friendly Friendly x 6
                                • Informative Informative x 1
                                Thread Status:
                                Not open for further replies.