1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

WHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY - 2017

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by wiseowl, Oct 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Nice words lucius...appreciate that :)

2. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,414
    I'm pleased to see the seeds I planted at the weekend have started to shoot. I have a greenhouse on order. I was going to wait but I have a need for it now. I would like the plants to grow because I want to donate them back to the charity garden that gave me the free tree.

G.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Mother Nature's Garden Apprentice
      Ratings:
      +6,133
      Great news on the seed sprouting and Greenhouse you'll be such a happy chappy in your GH come spring :yay:you'll never be indoors....i find it a lovely place to sit and relax with one of these:Wino: whatever the weather:heehee: @Jack Sparrow and what a lovely gesture re regifting the plants- yr a good un :dbgrtmb:

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Jack Sparrow

Ratings:
        +5,414
        Thanks @BeeHappy. I think its only fair. Hopefully there will be plenty to go around.

No gardening being done in this house at the moment.

I looked at Lamium maculatum 'Beacon Silver' a little while ago. If I succeed in my plan to push the verge away from the hedge, could something like this be used to fill the gap? Its happy in shade and its wildlife friendly. It seems to tick all the boxes.

G.

• Like Like x 1
        • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +6,133
          @Jack Sparrow Your most :sign0016:
          In answer to your question re the Lamium-yes it is a good choice it's an excellent ground cover, evergreen, tough copes well once established in a dryish shade so perfect for underplanting trees also because of the colour of the leaves the foliage will lighten up shady areas and wildlife friendly to boot- but like all Lamium plants remember that its related to the Nettle family so has a tendency to spread its self as runners. But thats, not a negative in my opinion as you can plant them up in other areas of your garden, also as you are doing with your seedling plants in the future gift them back for the Charity to benefit by them - so to me its a win-win plant all round - weed suppressing ground cover to help you in the garden...No need to buy too many of them as you'll be able to propagate them yourself...nectar for the early spring pollinators arrival from their long winter snooze and money raising for those in need of Charity- So whats not to like :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 4
          • Agree Agree x 1
            Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
          • Jack Sparrow

Ratings:
            +5,414
            Crocus sell it in a 2l pot. That seems a big pot for such a small plant. I'm not buying it but in theory, would there be enough plant there to dissect and spread about?

I will have to see if I can find it locally. I don't want to pay delivery costs.

G

EDIT It seems that Wyevale sell it. I will be passing that way tomorrow. perhaps I will call in and enquire.

• Like Like x 1
            • Informative Informative x 1
              Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
            • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +6,133
              Simple answer yes - it does cope with splitting - but i think i would be inclined to leave that job till springtime - then when planted up in sections it should recover well once the grounds a bit warmer, and the only possible setback will be slightly later blooms- but its a tough plant so probably won't even notice :)

• Like Like x 3
              • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                Ratings:
                +118,389
                @KFF I had a couple of very experienced horticulturalists come to see the Fuchsias (they breed them for the trade) and they said that the problem is they've found it can survive down to -10C and as the sites that we had them were all very sheltered it wasn't worth taking a chance. They also said that one of them had the worst infestation they had ever seen (we don't do things by half :heehee:).

We've now found that another one has it! :sad: That has been cut down and the foliage removed but the root has still to come out. It's at least as big as the one I showed before. Removing and replacing the soil is virtually impossible if the roots remained as each set of roots covered an area of about 16sq ft.

We're not too unhappy as they had all outgrown their positions and cutting them back was becoming a chore and they were so vigorous in their growth that they were becoming invasive. Growing 8ft in a season after having been cut down to 12" was getting a bit much. :noidea:

All our other Fuchsias (in the ground and in pots) appear untouched and they said that they wouldn't expect them to get affected.

We now have to work out what to replace them with. Most of them were in a type of hedgerow position. A couple of the smaller ones (only 6ft high and 5ft diameter each :rolleyespink:) were in the edge of the veg plot. We shall replace those with pollinating plants to keep the veggies happy.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
                • Like Like x 2
                • Verdun

Ratings:
                  +17,487
                  I think you acted wisely Shiney......fuchsias are being devastated by gall mite countrywide. There is no cure as far as I know...even cuttings taken will be affected :sad:. A relentless pest that may see fuchsias removed and destroyed in most gardens.....next year esp we may see that. Maybe our salty air will help us down here as a local nurseryman suggested to recently :noidea:.

fuchsias will be cleaned up and produce resistant varieties will be bred in time so all is not lost :).

Exciting though to plant something new :).
                  We are going to see many old favourites ruined by new-to-the-uk pests and diseases in the very near future.....virus on cannas and hostas for example already a major problem. All plants added here are cleaned as much as possible now....foliage removed, roots washed and fresh compost used on herbaceous. I never take risks on "bargain" offers on plants I think are not

• Like Like x 1
                  • Funny Funny x 1
                  • Verdun

Ratings:
                    +17,487
                    It is now beautifully sunny and warm.......:SUNsmile:. hope everyone is as well blessed :)

• Like Like x 2
                    • alana

alana Super Gardener

Head Gardener
                      Ratings:
                      +2,618
                      Gorgeous here in sunny Somerset. So lucky to be able to get out and enjoy the day.

• Like Like x 3
                      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +31,885
                        Pleased to see the Borage seeds I sowed the other week are showing growth. I decided to direct sow some now and then some more in the Spring so I will have something to compare to. Likewise with the sweet pea seeds I put in the gutter garden - I've now potted those on for overwintering and it will be interesting to see how they compare with sowings made early next year.

Noticed some sycamore seeds have begun landing in the garden, so went on seed-watch :th scifD36: picking up any and all that I see. Watch out Mr Sycamore ... :waggy: your seeds are going to be toast! :paladin:

• Like Like x 4
                        • Funny Funny x 1
                        • alana

alana Super Gardener

Head Gardener
                          Ratings:
                          +2,618
                          @"M" What's a gutter garden?

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                          • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +31,885
                            Gardening in guttering e.g. my gutter garden in 2015 where I grew my salad leaves :)

CIMG0091 (800x600).jpg

• Like Like x 6
                            • Creative Creative x 2
                            • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                              +31,885
                              At dusk, when the warmth of the sun was fading (and the wind of morning had subsided!), I dug up the Bowles Mauve which had given me 3 years of flowers and joy. Hmm, what is there to lose, I thought? Snipped of a dozen pieces and potted them up to go into the grow house - usual rules apply - thrive or not! :heehee:

Potted on 3 pieces of Choisya but not for the grow house just yet. Two have very nice roots, one is a :fingers crossed: effort, but if I manage one survivor it will still be a win-win as they were only pieces of pruning's I took earlier in the year and stuck in some compost for the sheer heck of it :heehee: I've been quite successful with the "stick it in a pot of compost and see" method so far; pure luck, of course!

• Like Like x 4
                              • Friendly Friendly x 1
                              Thread Status:
                              Not open for further replies.