1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

WHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY 2018

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,835
    You only have to ask @Verdun my friend:smile:

owl-845256_960_720.jpg

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Like Like x 3
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Ha ha...brilliant :snorky:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,122
        I've got a Bosch AHS 52 LI 20" Cordless Hedge Trimmer which I would recommend. I got Bosch tools that use the same battery, so when one runs out I have a spare to swap in. I have a nice cordless drill using the same battery but the cordless strimmer is not good, I got the cheapest (about £60) model which was a mistake : ART 23-18 Li Cordless Grass Trimmer. It uses two plastic blades rather than strimmer line and they soon wear down and don't have wide enough cut.

• Like Like x 5
        • Informative Informative x 2
        • Verdun

Ratings:
          +17,487
          Have a bosch cordless mower.....delightful machine :)

• Like Like x 4
          • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +9,233
            Yesterday evening I did the post-flower prune on the wigelia, the philadelphus and the top border deutzia. This morning I pruned the huge patio bed deutzia, and made bundles, or faggots, of all the pruned stems, ready to put out for garden waste collection next week.

Now all I have to do is get all the dead flower-bits off my cardigan!!:heehee:

• Like Like x 5
            • Funny Funny x 2
            • roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +6,953
              I would like to purchase a long reach hedge trimmer battery or cord.
              Of course Stihl do one over £400 the write ups are excellent but you need to use it a lot to get your moneys worth, but I need as I get older a little help at heights.
              Every other one I have looked up on line gets ghastly reviews ,very weak or very heavy
              except of course the Stihl.
              I picked a battery one up at Bunnings it was sooooooo heavy.
              Any one have any experience?

• Like Like x 3
              • Friendly Friendly x 2
              • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                +46,122
                What model and how long does the battery last @Verdun ? I nearly got one last time I needed a new mower but just wasn't sure if the battery would last. I don't have a massive area of grass to cut, I can do it under an hour. Sometime I cut the verge over the road and that can get a bit rough - will a battery mower cope with longer grass and a few weeds?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +5,090
                  I use the Ryobi petrol expand it hedge trimmer with an extension piece . Very good and good prices.

Some complaints of hard starting. Most likely people leaving fuel in the tank for too long thus gumming up the carb.

I always run mine dry (all my petrol equipment) when being stored and never had a problem. A drop of seafoam doesnt hurt either.

• Like Like x 4
                  • Verdun

Ratings:
                    +17,487
                    Hiya JWK
                    My second Bosch 34 cordless. First was about 8 years old and my niece now has it.....I use it there though. It had a second battery; not bad for twice weekly cutting and during winter too.
                    My new Bosch, same model, is now in its second year
                    I have 2 lawns...one about 150 sq yards and the back a little smaller. One charge cuts them twice. A charge takes about 20 minutes.
                    My niece's lawn gets quite long but cordless cuts it well.....set on medium to high setting.
                    My own lawns are never too long and I find I can cut them both in 20 minutes or so. Simple, easy and enjoyable mowing
                    For very rough grass a cordless may struggle but I think you may be surprised at their power.
                    My niece's neighbour now has a cordless bosch.....my suggestion....and he is delighted too.
                    They are extremely lightweight, very quiet and, hey!, give me stripes :)
                    I guess they are a little expensive.....£350 or so.....:noidea:

• Like Like x 3
                    • Informative Informative x 2
                    • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +5,414
                      20180622_153744.jpg

It's a hot and sticky day today. Especially in my back garden. There's not a cloud in the sky. My water feature sort of works. There is a trickle coming out of it. It will have to do for now. Another day I will look into sourcing a stronger pump. I replaced the rocks and pebbles that were there before. That also means for the first time since I can't remember that the patio has been cleared of all rubbish. My wife will be chuffed. I am trying to get everything as tidy as possible before my annual birthday bbq at the end of July.

:snorky:

G.

• Like Like x 8
                      • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                        Ratings:
                        +30,611
                        @Jack Sparrow I really like your water lady. Would love to have one like her :)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                        • Agree Agree x 1
                        • luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
                          Ratings:
                          +6,899
                          I couldn't agree more :)

I already have a petrol, a corded and a cordless grass strimmer Woo - a girl can never have too many garden tools :snorky:. What I need most is the hedge cutter. Both the long and short reach petrol cutters are beast. They are hubby;s and after an hour with them I'm too tired to do anything else. Got a hand held shears but takes ages.

• Like Like x 3
                          • Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • Verdun

Ratings:
                            +17,487
                            Catch up this evening...pruned large Golden King holly and juniperus Sulphur Spray, cut lawns after trimming edges and pulled a few weeds. Very satisfying....still gorgeous weather but slightly cooler. Can feel a build up of the heat .....every day to be hotter :SUNsmile:
                            Took puppy earlier..... everybody wants to touch him and, boy, does he know it!
                            Lucius, go for the cordless hedgetrimmer......makes jobs easier and done faster. Go on, spoil yourself

• Like Like x 5
                              Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
                            • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                              +100,836
                              I have the electric corded Ryobi long reach hedge trimmer, roders, and although it is very well made and powerful it's not light, but it's not overly heavy. The problem I find with the long hedge trimmers is that the higher you use them the more awkward and tiring they seem to be.
                              I used mine only a couple of days ago to prune the top growth off my Lilac and plan to use it, along with my short hedge trimmer, tomorrow to prune my 10' high Pyracantha by my front door.
                              I think you'll have to handle different ones to decide which one might suit you.:love30::snorky::coffee:

• Like Like x 3
                              • Friendly Friendly x 1
                              • Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
                                Ratings:
                                +4,411
                                A bit of a messy job this afternoon. Repairing my leaky hose watering system, (it was leaking!)

When I built my koi pool thirty-two years ago, I laid a hosepipe from the corner of the house where there's an outside tap and drain and ran it under the pool collar to a point behind the waterfall.

P1010640.JPG

I was originally going to use it for whenever the pool needed topping up, but in the end I settled for trickle changing the water via a dechlorinator, from a supply in the filter room in the back of the garage and adding it to the filter return. The hose wasn't used for years but several years ago I decided on having a leaky hose system to water the borders.

I already had this vintage Hoselock mechanical water meter. You can set it to discharge different gallonages, it just winds down and then turns itself off. It has its own dedicated tap.

P1060646.JPG

I installed two of these Hoselock three-way connectors. So I could supply water to three sections of the borders, the bit opposite the patio, the rockery and the rest of the side border and the one at the end of the garden. I can choose between watering the lot, or any individual area or a combination of any two. I cover both with a bit of York stone.

P1060645.JPG

It worked fine until one of the fox cubs we had last year must have dug up a bit of the hose and chewed it. It's all been working but I always was getting a bit of a puddle half way down after a few minutes.
                                I say a messy job, because I had to turn it on to trace where it was leaking somewhere in that very crowded border. Anyway I found it, dug it up, replaced a bit of pipe and it's fine now.

We're unlikely to get any rain for over a week now, so it was time I sorted it.
                                So this with the help of my two pop up sprinklers....

and another bit of leaky hose in the border between the tea-house and the shed, (I just have to plug a garden hose into that one), I've got it covered.
                                Though I'll still have to water the pots on the patio and the little bed under the kitchen window.

P1010709.JPG

These dahlias in that border are coming along nicely. I bought some smart looking green support rods from Wilkos for them. The plants are supported by a ring of strong garden wire attached to each rod and I can move them up as the plants grow.

I'm waiting for these six hebes in big pots in these troughs to flower, they seem to be taking an age.

P1010710.JPG

I'm pleased with the progress of the white wisteria, two bits of the old one and the several clematis, they've nearly got the garage wall covered, considering they are all new this year.

P1010712.JPG

• Like Like x 5
                                  Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
                                Thread Status:
                                Not open for further replies.