1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

WHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY 2018

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loki

Loki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,092
    Stocks? I'm intrigued :)
    One of my favourite flowers :wub2:
    I'm guessing it's a biennial I haven't heard of, I need info:)
    My annuals are still just about hanging on, no scent anymore but oh my, they where so worth growing!:dbgrtmb: A group of pots near the back door, along with sweet peas............:wub2:.......:spinning::love30:
    Floral heaven :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 3
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Yep loki......nice grey foliage and delicious scent over winter and into spring.:)

Nothing better though for summer scent than perennial heliotrope....the cherry pie plant. Intoxicating fragrance fills an area......strategically placed in the garden or in pots (by front door, next to seating, under windows, along pathways)......from early summer to the present time

• Like Like x 4
      • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +21,334
        Shredding, clearing out runner beans, preparing ground for broad beans and garlic, removing finished half hardy annuals. Moving some of the more tender plants into the greenhouse before they get too wet. Planting some seed grown perennials now it's a bit damper.

• Like Like x 4
        • Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,259
          Leaf blowing, more leaf blowing, and then more leaf blowing. It’s a job I hate as it’s just mind numbing boring.

• Like Like x 4
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,494
            It's the start of three months of leaf clearing here in Shineyland and I'm going to be doing it myself from now on. It doesn't fit our gardening budget to have it done for us as gardening prices have increased :noidea:. We need it for jobs that I don't want to, or can't, do myself.

@Liz the pot I'm about to order a leaf blower. I'd appreciate your opinion. I've looked at some and chatted to neighbours about theirs. The one that seems to fit the bill well is the Honda four stroke model. It's supposed to be easier to start (very important to me because of my back), is fairly light compared to a lot of them (under 5kg), will use the same petrol as the mower (convenient) and seems to do an excellent job (watched my neighbour and had a go with it myself).

• Like Like x 2
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • shiney

Ratings:
              +118,494
              I've finally finished clearing and digging our very overgrown area in the front garden. It was so solid with overgrowth, and undergrowth, that we couldn't get in there. Mainly dogwood (between 8ft and 18ft high, and very wide) and self seeded laburnum plus very overgrown Viburnum etc. The undergrowth in there was anything from self seeded flowers to loads of weeds. All we had been doing was planting and tidying the front few feet. :doh:

These are not good photos as the lighting was too high a contrast but they give an idea.

The dogwood had thrown out dozens of suckers and had also covered the area with a solid mesh of roots. The whole area was covered in ivy as well. :phew: It's about 50ft x 30ft :rolleyespink:
              P1410052.JPG

P1410051.JPG

P1410054.JPG

• Like Like x 4
              • Verdun

Ratings:
                +17,487
                Exciting new plantng area Shiney? Ideas for it? :)

Total blue sky out there.....gardening will prob be this afternoon.....lifting and dividing some dahlias, looking for suitable positions for a couple of sanguisorbas, a persicaria and more stocks and wallflowers whilst "tidying" as I go. A very large astilbe needs dividing too. Need to be careful cos lots of daffodils emerging.....roll on spring :)

Re leaf blowers.....cant advise on brands, mine is a lidl cheapo but it does rhe job and Imlove using it despite the noise! :noidea:

• Like Like x 2
                • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                  Ratings:
                  +10,972
                  You've been busy @shiney Is dogwood a bit of a thug for spreading then? I was thinking of getting some for a bit of winter interest/colour.

• Verdun

Ratings:
                  +17,487
                  Snorky, I find the red stemmed varieties of dogwood well behaved increasing only clumpwise. The green (flavimarea?) though was the exception and prob best avoided in a small garden. It suckered quite aggressively so was dug out :)
                  For me, Elegantissima (variegated green n white leaves) and Aurea ( nice yellow foliage all summer) are the best red stemmed varieties:)

• Like Like x 2
                  • Informative Informative x 1
                  • shiney

Ratings:
                    +118,494
                    It was full of Hellebore Foetidus until this summer heat and drought. We lost over 100 of them.

I'm going to wait until I can see if any sprout again. Having the laurel hedge alongside and the bed having trees and very tall shrubs it needs something that likes the shade. The Hellebores were ideal for their longevity of blooming, their bright green flowers through the winter and summer with the dark leaves as a backdrop.

Another thing that impressed me with the Honda was how quiet it was. We could easily carry on a conversation whilst it was working.

• Like Like x 2
                    • Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +1,259
                      I have a couple of Stihl BG86 hand held blowers and the BR600 backpack blower.
                      Ive not used the Honda but the Stihls are 2 mix with the BR600 being the the 4 mix version with the silly valves that require the odd adjustment.
                      You have to add oil with the Stihls petrol unlike the Honda and the 4 mix needs their better oil to get max performance.
                      Ive had a few issues with Stihl but they do get hammered to be fair.
                      The hand held ones are great for small areas, in between borders but the backpack version has lots of oomph to move leaf rubbish quickly.
                      I tend to blow into an area and form a heap, get my old big ton bags. I then stand just inside 2 corners and sweep the leaf rubbish through my legs which saves time.
                      Stihl do battery versions but the running time is rubbish so best avoided.

I can’t see anything wrong with the Honda, should be fine but if you have a large area and lots to blow the backpack will make short work of it. It’s a case of how long you have to hold a handheld to do the job compared to a backpack. Consider dry vs wet leaf clearing as those old leaves stick to the ground and get heavy when you start to have a pile you are blowing.

I would pop in and look at them and see how they feel, you can then see the price difference and comfort levels.

• Like Like x 1
                      • shiney

Ratings:
                        +118,494
                        @Snorky85 I'd defer to Verdun's knowledge on this as we don't normally have a problem with them being in a big area. We have others that don't tend to sucker but I haven't the faintest on which varieties they are.

If you're looking for winter colour then dogwood is good, but so are other thing (such as witch hazel in a couple of these pictures. Dogwood can be kept under control but it depends on the variety.

What I would suggest, for a day out, is to go to Anglesey Abbey (NT) in February to see their winter garden. It's just off the A14 east of Cambridge. You can check their website for the best time as it can vary slightly depending on the weather. You can then have a chat with their gardeners.

They're famous for their snowdrops so you can check on 'snowdrop time'. What they don't advertise much is that they also give private viewings and talks about their snowdrops (areas where they grow and propagate them that are not open to the public). You can search it out on line. They don't charge but only have limited numbers. The guide also takes you through the winter garden and you can ask your questions then.

They have the typical National Trust restaurant/cafe which is not bad value but gets busy. They also have some interesting grounds and good summer gardens. They have a working mill but it's not open to the public very often (I think it's alternate Saturdays) but, if you're interested, you could try and see whether the snowdrop tour is on one of those days.

The Winter Garden at Anglesey Abbey

• shiney

Ratings:
                          +118,494
                          @Liz the pot thanks for the info.

As I can't do too much in one go I think that the handheld would be sufficient. The thin nozzle on the Honda seems to give it extra oomph. The idea with the ton bag is good :blue thumb: although I wouldn't be able to fill it too much as I'm limited on how much I can drag in one go. That area that I cut back, cleared and dug (above) had to be done over a period of a couple of weeks to make sure I didn't overdo things.

• Like Like x 2
                          • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                            Ratings:
                            +10,972
                            Ooh thanks @shiney That is definitely a day out that I can do! Will also look into witch hazel too :)

• Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                            Ratings:
                            +10,972
                            Thanks @Verdun great advice as always-I've screen shotted your comment so I can use the info to research later :)

Now I'm going out to divide some clumps of bergenia that have gone mad and move some to the front outside border...I'm hoping these will multiply and provide ground cover which will mean less area for weeding/digging in future. I'll be removing some old woody heuchera at the front so the bergenia can go there.

• Like Like x 1
                            Thread Status:
                            Not open for further replies.