1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

WHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY 2018

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Wasn't expecting to do much today, apart from tar washing (it's not called that any more) the big acer in the front garden and some leaf collection.

I started to strip some of the dying leaves off this wisteria in the bed at the bottom of the garden.

This one.

30.JPG

It climbs around with some help of some wires an old 8ft stump of a tree that died over ten years ago and we took down.

This one.

P1010996.JPG

P1010997.JPG

It had rotted away below ground level and was a bit wobbly. So I detached the wisteria and rocked it until it fell over and I was able to drag it round to the path.

It took a whole bag of my compost to fill the hole. fortunately I remembered we had an old tall bird feeder that the birds didn't like so it ended up on the rafters of the garage years ago.

So I sank it into the ground and tied the wisteria to it.

P1020001.JPG

Job done.

Well not quite, will have to get youngest son to come round with his chain saw. It won't go in the green bin!

• Like Like x 3
      Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      Advertise it for free on the likes of Gumtree, someone will be more than happy to take it off your hands. With the price of electricity and gas going through the roof, more and more people are using wood burning stoves as a way of keeping the fuel bills down.

• Like Like x 1
      • Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
        Ratings:
        +4,411

Thanks for the suggestion, but it's likely youngest son may want it, as he has a wood burning stove.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
          Ratings:
          +54,373
        • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,089
          Boring but enjoyable day today, clearing a mound of sycamore leaves,cleared the moss from the slippery pavement because the councils inept, checked on the garlics,tidied up the plants overwintering in the garage,set two mouse traps in there,and then went out where I almost ran into two horse riders on a blind bend who thought it wise to go out in the dark on dark horses with no lights on ?

• Like Like x 1
          • Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
            Ratings:
            +4,411
            It's a pest prevention treatment for trees, that you spray at this time of the year. its mainly for fruit trees. Originally it was creosote based, but that got banned by elf n' safety.

• Informative Informative x 1
            • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
              +8,083
              Sympathies @WeeTam . We may have been heavily involved with horses for many years but not all equestrians are complete morons:). I all but ran over a dog 2 nights ago. The idiot owner of the dog from the village often walks up our road at night. It's single track and absolutely no lights anywhere. The black lab was off the lead and I only saw him at the very last second. It was my headlights reflecting back off the dogs eyes which alerted me otherwise I would have run the dog over. I got 1 hell of a fright and was furious with the idiot and told him so. He looked at me as tho I had 2 heads and couldn't see why I was so angry. He perhaps is not all there and certainly doesn't drive so clueless as to just how well drivers can see small dark objects at night. I'd have been less upset if I'd nearly run him down:)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
              • Like Like x 1
              • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +8,484
                Nice sunny day again. Got some bulbs planted today, didn't go as planned got the three fritillaria persica ( black ) planted. Started to dig the hole for the white ivory bells fritillaria and hit some concrete / stone, didn't think much at first I just dig that little bit out :nonofinger: the dam concrete just kept going had to dig up the helianthus lemon queen, got the big iron pole thingy and smashed it up fortunately it wasn't to thick, I didn't get it all out it were going under the fence.

DSC_0019.JPG
                Bulbs in :hapydancsmil:hopefully they come up next year and put on a show :fingers crossed:. They got more sand on top of the bulbs to help against rotting.
                DSC_0021.JPG
                Also got the allium summer drummer planted and allium purple rain, I use the bulb planter for these, a allium bulb flew out the top of the bulb planter after standing on it whoops :doh:I don't know how it didn't damage it :snorky:. Planted 100 crocus bulbs and got back inside for the second half of England.

• Like Like x 3
                • andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Waste Management and Consultancy
                  Ratings:
                  +2,369
                  Spent yesterday filling a skip up with the prunings from the hedge. Had the skip exchanged today which means that I can start filling another up with more prunings.

And so it goes on …...

• Like Like x 1
                  • Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
                    Ratings:
                    +4,411
                    Had some bad news. The chainsaw is busted. so when I came home from golf this afternoon, I used a bow saw, to cut the tree trunk into three pieces so I can get in my car tomorrow and take it down the tip. Took a lot of effort as, being as it was a prunus, it was very hard wood.

This is it in all its glory in 2004.

PICT0058.JPG

I've no idea why it died. All the old kitchen units, mostly top cupboards, with a cut down worktop (and the fridge/freezer) in the tea-house, had to come out when I bought the jukeboxes. but they got recyced for the second time, they're now on the garage wall.

• Like Like x 2
                    • Friendly Friendly x 2
                      Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
                    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
                      +17,487
                      Lawn mowing today plus more daffodils to plant or pot up.
                      Beautiful day to be outside :)
                      My kniphofias arrived today......potted on for planting later, prob in early spring
                      Nico decided to break a branch off one of my favourite azaleas.......annoyed but then how cross can you be with a mischievous, fun loving fluffy white retriever puppy? Besides, the azalea will still look good.....hopefully :noidea:

• Like Like x 2
                        Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
                      • Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
                        Ratings:
                        +4,411
                        Just took the logs from the tree down to the tip and bought some silver sand and some concrete mix. I use silver sand to make a cement mortar which with a bit of yellow dye is a reasonable match for the York stone of the patio and paths, for whenever they need pointing.
                        I went to the local small Travis Perkins. I've not been there for a few months. They've just thrown up the steel for a massive new warehouse next door to them, which they will move into next year.

Hopefully, their range will expand as they don't stock some stuff I've needed, like yellow cement dye which earlier in the year meant I had to travel several miles to get some.

Too wet to do anything else today. It'll have to wait until tomorrow afternoon or Thursday.

• Like Like x 3
                        • Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                          +100,836
                          With the impending arrival of the Landscaper next Monday I put on warm clothing and started to move the numerous large pots of bulbs, shrubs, hardy perennials off the hard areas, due to be dug up, into places anywhere I could find in the garden. There is a climbing Rose "White Skyliner" in a large oak barrel tub, by the Kitchen door, that will need cutting back and moving, and also a Flowering Ribes in a really big, heavy red clay square container that will also need moving.....but the Landscapers guys can move those as I'm getting too:old: to move them. I've still got one large pot containing a small Acacia but that's a Manyana job as is pruning one side of a 40 years old Buddleia which always grows into the area of the patio, and a Rose "Generous Gardener" which restricts the width of passage between the Observatory and the borders.:dunno::coffee::snorky:

• Like Like x 4
                          • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +8,484
                            What are you having done ? Anything fancy :hapydancsmil:

• Like Like x 1
                            • Friendly Friendly x 1
                            • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                              +100,836
                              Depends on what you mean by "fancy", Perki:dunno::heehee: The patio is the original concrete area when I bought the House new 40 years ago, as is the Gable End path leading from the front side gate to the rear garden. The area behind the 3 garages which line one side of my garden are, but not the actual garden itself, (some 40 feet x 12 feet and laid, over the years with old slabs, heavy thick concrete pieces, bricks etc just to give a hard walking surface. I've had the "itch" to change it for years and having the Observatory installed in the garden some years now made me think it was time to upgrade the hard areas, not to match the House but to match the garden style [i.e: Cottage Garden style). So the same Landscaper who built the one foot high, 10 feet diameter, cobbled base is coming back to do the work. He has a two teams of 6 guys but did the base himself as "he likes crazy jobs and circles" like the base.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So the plan is to dig up the patio, area at the back of the garages, the Gable End path and the nearly 40 years old Compost Heap which measures 8' x 8' is to be dug out.
                              [​IMG]
                              Then the areas will be laid with cobble block pavers to meld in with the character of the Garden
                              [​IMG]
                              [​IMG] [​IMG]
                              So hopefully, with the right choice of cobbles things will work out.:coffee::snorky:

• Like Like x 5
                                Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2018
                              Thread Status:
                              Not open for further replies.