1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

WHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY 2018

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +10,593
    :rain: so much, puddles on the lawn. can't rake.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      No jobs in the garden today except to check all was intact following a very rough night......it has been very wet and very windy but far from cold and I did take Nico to the beach. Big white surf to energise the senses :) Of course, we got soaked but it was a great feel good :snorky:

• Like Like x 3
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +8,295
        Before it got dark I threw some Veg waste in my compost bin and noticed there are still lots of worms near the top and some in the bin lid. Now I thought the worms burrow deeper when its cold.

• Like Like x 3
        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,836
          I've been busy doing "things" today and so I only had about an hour in the garden even though the weather was dry and occasionally sunny. So I spent some time dividing the large, thick, root ball of the dwarf Mock Orange dug up by the Landscapers so that I can pot it into a large round clay container. I used a sharp spade and managed to cut out a portion around about a third of the original size of the rootball and that will be the part I'll use.
          I've also got to build another wooden two tiered, but shorter, bench for the Bearded Irises I couldn't fit on the first, longer, bench I'd built, but at least I've decided that the spot for it is against the West fence on the Patio.
          I watered plants in the Green House that needed watering and realised that I still have a bag of Daffodils, Crocus, Imperial Fritilliarias, and Tulips to plant. The landscape work, bad weather and being busy stopped me from planting the bulbs but I'd better get a move on. I'm also moving pots from the borders and putting them in the spaces left by the Bearded Irises that are now on the long two tiered bench.:dunno::heehee:

• Like Like x 4
          • PaulB3

PaulB3 Gardener

Professional Gardener
            Ratings:
            +327
            1. Set up my 'greenhouse within a greenhouse' system three weeks ago ; that is , two Wilkos mini-g/houses inside my 10 x 8 !
            Have specimen cacti too large to move , and came up with the idea of lighting 8-hour burn TeeLights to keep the night chills at bay .
            Up to tonight they seem to be working OK ; dreading any severe weather in January though .
            Forecast for the next few days is relatively mild .
            To my wifes horror I used to bring them indoors , but growing in a 95% granite chip mix they are too heavy to move far .
            Fingers (and everything else) crossed !:blue thumb:

Have a large Pachypodium lamerei which gets brought in along with the Euphorbia horrida 'Striata' ; (don't want to lose them ):smile:

• Like Like x 2
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +8,508
              I once set my cold frame up inside the greenhouse , can't quite remember what were inside probably pelargoriums and other bits and bobs, anyway the humidity cause with been inside the coldframe / GH cause a big spike of botrytis, by time I'd noticed it were to late for most of them. My own fault for not providing enough ventilation and probably putting a affected plant in there.

You are going to have to be chop chop @ARMANDII planting them bulbs, thought I were late planting the bulbs :yikes:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
              • Like Like x 1
              • Loki

Loki Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +4,092
                Not exactly gardening :redface: but I've watered my cuttings :)
                Peloargonium and fushia, all doing well :blue thumb:
                Also watered my overwintering chillies, 1st year prairie fire and my beloved habenaro, it's the 3rd winter for him :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                  +100,836
                  Better late than never, Perki:dunno::heehee: I've planted Daffs as late as the last week in January and had them come up.......somewhat later!!!:heehee:

• Like Like x 2
                  • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                    Ratings:
                    +118,485
                    I haven't started overwintering yet as I'm still cropping well from the ones I have left. They're kept in a heated propagator so as long as I feed them they usually crop into January. I rarely overwinter much of them nowadays as we get the new ones started quite early. I used to find that they started tapering off in production after year three and weren't worth bothering with after year five. The problem I usually had to watch out for was whitefly.

• Like Like x 2
                    • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                      +100,836
                      I spent some more time in the garden moving large clay pots from the borders into more suitable places. Unbelievably, I found 4 more pots of Bearded Irises down at the bottom of the "walk around" border underneath a Viburnum and Buddleja Globosa, which means i will have to extend the length of the 2nd wooden two tier bench I'm planning to build. But getting them all together in one spot against a South facing wall should make a good display.
                      I also de-weeded all the Irises pots and dumped the detritus into one of the new Compost Bins. I've also ordered a Philadelphus "Etoile Rose" so that it's ready for planting in the New Year. I'm also learning where all the leaves now get blown due to changing the patio and hard area and they do seem to have changed from the normal areas they collect.:coffee::snorky:

• Like Like x 2
                      • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
                        Ratings:
                        +21,328
                        Will get some weeding done, they're still growing. Remove old leaves from Hellebores so I can see the flowers that have opened this week.

• Like Like x 2
                        • Agree Agree x 1
                        • Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
                          Ratings:
                          +4,411
                          I've given the leaves I've blown over the past couple of weeks to the back of the borders, "a coat of looking at," but it's too wet to clear any. I will eventually clear some and let the rest rot down. Rhodo leaves have to be cleared as they don't rot. The biggest problem is the dead leaves hiding behind the stems of the bamboo and the back fence, I may have to get the wet n' dry vac to them. But I need a dry day, for both jobs. I'll prune the wisterias between Christmas and New Year as usual.

• Like Like x 2
                          • PaulB3

PaulB3 Gardener

Professional Gardener
                            Ratings:
                            +327
                            Thought I'd treat myself to an early Xmas present a few weeks ago ; a Stihl Blower .These soon make light work of any leaves and other debris lying on the lawns .
                            Handy for blasting loose material from borders too .
                            Use one regularly whilst working , but thought I'd just treat myself!!!:yes:

• Like Like x 4
                            • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
                              +5,090
                              I recently started using my blower to clean out the car:rolleyespink: and instead of brushing out the garage i just let the blower blast everything out instead.:sweep:

• Like Like x 1
                              • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                                +100,836
                                I've kept moving the large pots around from the borders and the lawn and putting them into suitable places around the patio and paths. I found two more "lost" pots of Bearded Irises when I thought I found them all, I'm going to have a major rethink on where I'm going to put the now 18 large pots of Bearded Irises that are not on the two tiered wooden bench.:dunno::doh:
                                [​IMG]
                                I also found the two metal bowers that were on the South Wall of the Garage that I've lined with hessian and planted up with annuals every year, but they will need repositioning as they used to be where the Bearded Irises are now. I dumped the old contents of the Bowers into the Compost Bin and relined them with hessian again ready for Spring
                                [​IMG]
                                I moved another large pot containing Prunus "Kojo-no-mai" and one of Hamamelis "Diane'" onto the circular base of the Observatory and a couple of shallow but large pots of annuals onto the patio. I'm trying not to put too many pots onto the patio, but that is becoming a losing battle.:dunno::wallbanging::snorky: After that, I de-weeded all the pots I'd recovered and that also went into the Compost Bin. I think today is the first day since the patio and hard areas were pavered that I felt I was getting somewhere in getting things into place and although I have a long list of jobs to do to finish off everything I went into the House feeling happier and made a Mug of Tea.:coffee::snorky:

• Like Like x 5
                                Thread Status:
                                Not open for further replies.